E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 2.89 average.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #1101
generic 330i

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Looks good. That is a strange filter, is it pulling air from the hose being inserted from the front and air from the wheel wheel?

With the filter being that low, becareful driving through any large puddles.
generic 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #1102
generic 330i

It was my turn to have a busy weekend. My thermostat was showing signs of going bad so I had to change it out. Since I had to replace the thermostat I decided to do all of the following:

Behr Thermostat
Serpentine Belt
AC Belt
EMP Stewart High Performance waterpump
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
Spark Plugs
And of course a radiator flush/change

It took me about 4-5 hours with lots of help from my Brother.

Here are all the parts

My air filter was dirty so I replaced it. The hardest part of the entire process was removing the Fan Clutch and keep the pully from moving, good thing I bought a tool for it but it still took a long time since the tool was a universal one.

Fan Clutch and Shroud removed:

Once I removed the Fan Clutch and Shroud it was time to drain the Radiator fluid. I decided to change my cabin filter and spark plugs, while I waited for the fluids to drain to the last drop :

Crappy photo but the spark plugs were slightly corroded, swapped out all 6 and cabin filter.

Once all the fluids were drained I removed the serpentine belt, AC belt, bad Thermostat which is a Wahler Thermostat, and water pump.

The water pump was still good at 59k but since I was in there I might as well put in a lifetime EMP Stewart High Performance waterpump. Look at the difference:

The AC belt was in good condition but I went ahead and replaced it, the Serpentine belt was slightly worn so I replaced it too. Sorry for the crappy phone picture (all I had on me at the time).

I put everything back together and the new Behr thermostat is working great. My temperature gauage is now in the middle
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #1103
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic 330i View Post
Looks like you blew all of your money before the holidays , what are you going to do for Christmas?

Out of curiosity, where do you take your car to get worked on?

For x-mas I'm broke! lol

www.eurotrix.com
Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #1104
pat

Quote:
Looks good. That is a strange filter, is it pulling air from the hose being inserted from the front and air from the wheel wheel?

With the filter being that low, becareful driving through any large puddles.

That is correct sir. I used to drive a different with a lower CAI. In fact, it was so low, you could see it next to the fog light opening when looking at the car from the front.

I had actually installed this one that way at first... but the way I have it hiding there should be OK. But yea, lots of cold air. Sounds killer!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #1105
pat

Quote:
It was my turn to have a busy weekend. My thermostat was showing signs of going bad so I had to change it out. Since I had to replace the thermostat I decided to do all of the following:

Behr Thermostat
Serpentine Belt
AC Belt
EMP Stewart High Performance waterpump
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
Spark Plugs
And of course a radiator flush/change

It took me about 4-5 hours with lots of help from my Brother.

Here are all the parts

My air filter was dirty so I replaced it. The hardest part of the entire process was removing the Fan Clutch and keep the pully from moving, good thing I bought a tool for it but it still took a long time since the tool was a universal one.

Fan Clutch and Shroud removed:

Once I removed the Fan Clutch and Shroud it was time to drain the Radiator fluid. I decided to change my cabin filter and spark plugs, while I waited for the fluids to drain to the last drop :

Crappy photo but the spark plugs were slightly corroded, swapped out all 6 and cabin filter.

Once all the fluids were drained I removed the serpentine belt, AC belt, bad Thermostat which is a Wahler Thermostat, and water pump.

The water pump was still good at 59k but since I was in there I might as well put in a lifetime EMP Stewart High Performance waterpump. Look at the difference:

The AC belt was in good condition but I went ahead and replaced it, the Serpentine belt was slightly worn so I replaced it too. Sorry for the crappy phone picture (all I had on me at the time).

I put everything back together and the new Behr thermostat is working great. My temperature gauage is now in the middle
Good work, fellow DIYer..!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #1106
mike01ci

My Ride: 2003 M5
Don't mean to jack the thread but if anyone knows anyone in Columbia MO could you send them over to bimmerforums (we are trying to organize a little meet)... thanks guys..

-You all planning anything around Thanksgiving time?
mike01ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #1107
pat

Hey - I'm up for a meet in Columbia. Is it during thanksgiving? I'm not I'll be around but any other time is good!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #1108
mike01ci

Quote:
Hey - I'm up for a meet in Columbia. Is it during thanksgiving? I'm not I'll be around but any other time is good!
Not sure when the meet in CoMo will be... We are trying to organize it over at bimmerforums, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1323687

- Is anyone in St. Louis planning anything the week of thanksgiving in St. Louis?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #1109
generic 330i

Quote:
I'm going to be busy most of Nov and Dec but if I have time I'll try to make it. Got a buddy in Columbia that I can visit but I will need to know the date in advance though.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #1110
mike01ci

Here is the thread about the potential CoMo meet. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1323687&page=2
Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #1111
generic 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike01ci View Post
Here is the thread about the potential CoMo meet. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1323687&page=2
I can't make it on November 8th, but maybe we can do a STL/COMO meet later on

Have fun!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #1112
T330

My Ride: X5
Send a message via AIM to T330
Happy November
Old 11-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #1113
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Happy November to you, too!

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #1114
T330

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Happy November to you, too!

What's up buddy?

Any news on the e30?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #1115
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by T330 View Post
What's up buddy?

Any news on the e30?
Hey T4

Ugh, still trying to find an engine. The wrecker I wanted to buy from gave me the quote, but then when I called back, said it'd be at least 3 weeks until they had one in stock. I'm looking everywhere else in the meantime.

I'll be disconnecting the engine this weekend just so it's ready to go when I do find one.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #1116
T330

Aw that's rough

Are you going to do an upgraded engine swap?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #1117
cyberkaa

Quote:
Aw that's rough

Are you going to do an upgraded engine swap?
It's pretty tempting to do an S52 swap since there's a local who's selling the long block + electrical pretty cheap, but there would be a lot more parts involved. I think it'd take months to find everything, not to mention the expense. :/

Quote:
Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #1118
generic 330i

Quote:
Happy November
Happy November to you guys too.

All of this sun makes me mad cause I keep seeing what Suntrup did to my car. I can't even work on it cause I have to wait for the paint on my bumper to cure Damn them!!!!

Pat - you still heading down to Columbia?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #1119
generic 330i

Cyberkaa, I just noticed your profile says you live in CA? Did you use to live in STL?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #1120
cyberkaa

Quote:
Cyberkaa, I just noticed your profile says you live in CA? Did you use to live in STL?
The name's Kalim.

I'm a friend of STL, that's all.

Quote: