E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 12:42 AM   #21
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
BS - this guy is making it up. It's all vaporware anyways.

Let me tell you guys ANOTHER little funny story.

Jerry Su from LavaLighting is not the most scrupulous of people.
Here's a thread.

He was an authorized dealer of DDEs. It's funny how you build a product and the world beats a path down your door. Even your competition.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=70344

DO NOT BUY FROM LAVALIGHTING!
Old 01-29-2003, 12:45 AM   #22
BGReddy00
09 X5

My Ride: 2009 X5
so matt these dont work?-I would think they would heat up too much..
Old 01-29-2003, 12:52 AM   #23
umnitza

it's not that they would or wouldn't
they don't exist. I'm always happy to eat my words. (well not happy) but...

Here's the situation.
The guy is a college student. He thinks he can make something that requires great engineering to make. He's not a supporting vendor - this is obviously an attempt by one of his flunkies to advertise.

When I came on here, I don't remember how I did it, but I remember my primary goal was to educate. I almost didn't care if you bought from me or not, I was concerned that even Herb's retailers were unaware of the original makers of the kit.

I'm once again thrust into a situation where YES, this person was my co-distributor - but he was unscrupulously stealing secrets from Jim and me and copying my every move - and now, he thinks that he can do the impossible.

Anyways, this is NOT a slight against college students, but Jerry is a college student who happens to be completely incoherent. Which is not necessarily a knock, but he can't possibly devote the time that anyone in the business can.

BTW - I despise stealing - in case you guys haven't noticed
Old 01-29-2003, 12:57 AM   #24
BGReddy00
09 X5

so he cant even produce the products hes advertising.....
Old 01-29-2003, 01:04 AM   #25
umnitza

Quote:
Originally posted by BGReddy00
so he cant even produce the products hes advertising.....
I didn't say that.

I'm sure he's got something up his sleeve. But, claiming that it's brighter and actually doing it are two totally different things.

You REALLY should read that thread that I linked, it's VERY informative.

When I "stepped" into this, mid summer, I had no idea the level of unscrupulous behaviour in the auto parts industry.

I mean I KNOW of one vendor (not saying if that vendor is here, or another forum or not at all) that charges INSANE margin. It's highway robbery in my opinion. I agree with a profit, but robbery?

I also know of other vendors that happily sell what they don't have to help fund their development of the product - this is reasonable if you admit that you're doing this or reasonable if you set expectations.

I'm not saying I'm "perfect" but I strive to be EXTREMELY honest to a fault. You might pay more on something, but not usually, and I'll treat you with the respect you as a customer deserve.

I think it's high time the industry got a fresh face, all the back stabbing is quite frankly sickening.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:08 AM   #26
BGReddy00
09 X5

wow, i read the whole other post earlier i didnt quite understand everything like posts were getting deleted and who knows what else, but you def sound like an honest vendor....that def is wrong to mislead though on the product....
Old 01-29-2003, 01:14 AM   #27
umnitza

it's not that Jerry is misleading, I want to clarify that as well.

It's that he's announcing a product that doesn't exist. He's not misleading anyone...yet.

But I think it's wrong to work with your manufacturer, prod them for the latest details, up until the very last hour, then announce that you are going to compete head to head.

I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together.

I mean, it's like buying a BMW for the sole purpose of tearing it apart (Infiniti) to build a G35 (Infiniti) - I guess it's done, but at least Infiniti gave it slightly different moves and feel inside with a different engine.

We'll see.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:18 AM   #28
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

My Ride: 2002, 330i 5spd
Quote:
Originally posted by umnitza

I mean I KNOW of one vendor (not saying if that vendor is here, or another forum or not at all) that charges INSANE margin. It's highway robbery in my opinion. I agree with a profit, but robbery?

I also know of other vendors that happily sell what they don't have to help fund their development of the product - this is reasonable if you admit that you're doing this or reasonable if you set expectations.

I'm not saying I'm "perfect" but I strive to be EXTREMELY honest to a fault. You might pay more on something, but not usually, and I'll treat you with the respect you as a customer deserve.

I think it's high time the industry got a fresh face, all the back stabbing is quite frankly sickening.
Heheh...i think you may change your mind there is a possibility to make a HUGE profit...it takes a very strong character to do what you're saying....if you have that character hats off to you, but most ppl are not...
I also agree with another thing you said....when i think about ripoffs, exhausts pop into my mind...it most likely takes 100 dollars or less to build an exhaust system(some metal, and heat material), but most companies charge a min of 600bucks...nice 500 dollar profit....and i dont think R and D is going cost so much that they charge 600 to make a small profit heh.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #29
DirtyVegasBM

My Ride: (X-325i) Audi TT QT
I love this forum for its camaraderie and I sincerely hope that no wars overspill here.
DirtyVegasBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #30
umnitza

Quote:
Originally posted by K-DOG

Heheh...i think you may change your mind there is a possibility to make a HUGE profit...it takes a very strong character to do what you're saying....if you have that character hats off to you, but most ppl are not...
I also agree with another thing you said....when i think about ripoffs, exhausts pop into my mind...it most likely takes 100 dollars or less to build an exhaust system(some metal, and heat material), but most companies charge a min of 600bucks...nice 500 dollar profit....and i dont think R and D is going cost so much that they charge 600 to make a small profit heh.
Hold on

I'm in business to make a REASONABLE profit. I believe in a reasonable profit. Reasonable to me is 50% margin. Maybe less, maybe more.

The way margin is calculated is like this:

50% markup = $100 becomes $150 ($100*.50 + 100)
50% margin = $100 becomes $200 ($200-100/200)

So, if you charge 80% margin = $100 becomes 500 (500-100/500)

Suddenly, it appears like highway robbery because the change in margin is exponential.

R&D is NECESSARY or else two things happen, companies can't pay employees, companies can't take advantage of capital re-investments, companies can't compete.

I think it's a huge factor on how you can keep your costs low enough so you don't pass them onto the customer.

For example, if I had to sell out of a storefront, my costs would have to go up to cover my overhead. That's business.

But, I think reasonable profit is better because repeat business is better than one time sales.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:36 AM   #31
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

My Ride: 2002, 330i 5spd
I am aware of what you're saying(i am an economics major)...and i know you need R and D....but what im saying, when i think of exhaust systems, i think they are ripoffs(they will sell as long as consumers are willing to buy them for that price though)...what i am saying is the R and D costs AND production costs cannot be that high to warrent a 600 price tag....to me it is highway robbery...thats why i will most likely buy a used exhaust system(not because im cheap, but b/c i can spend 600 elsewhere)
PS. I wasn't implying anything, just my observations about exhausts specifically

Last edited by K-DOG; 01-29-2003 at 01:38 AM.
K-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 01:40 AM   #32
umnitza

Cool

I'm a product manager - Had Econ a long time ago

Got my MBA in Marketing and I'business

Consumers set price usually That's the funny part of it. If no one buys it, then it drops in price the idiot's guide to economics is supply and demand
Old 01-29-2003, 02:11 AM   #33
tquach
Nymphomaniac

My Ride: A White Car
Send a message via AIM to tquach Send a message via Yahoo to tquach
Hmm that looks very much like it says "120V".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulbs2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	35427  
tquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:40 AM   #34
crashnet2000

My Ride: 328 Ci-00
Now when we have this discussion going on about Angeleyes i would like to jump in and ask you people one thing... I want to get Angeleyes but there is a lot of "????" on wich one to get. Now i see my chance to ask you all here wich one is the best.. Gen2-3-4-5 ?? Wich one should i get? And most importanly from where?
Thanks
Old 01-29-2003, 02:58 AM   #35
umnitza

Good catch Tq

Crashnet - why don't you do 3 things:
1) search
2) email me with your questions
3) www.umnitza.com
Old 01-29-2003, 03:16 AM   #36
crashnet2000

My Ride: 328 Ci-00
Umnitza:
i have searched everywhere for anwsers on my questions and i have found that every singel one says the different thing. Some people says Gen4 is better then Gen 3 and Gen3 is better then Gen4 and so on... i dont know what to belive anymore
Old 01-29-2003, 03:21 AM   #37
umnitza

email me and I'll reply tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:26 AM   #38
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
Wattage and voltage are 2 different things...
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:02 AM   #39
jsp98m3

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via AIM to jsp98m3
Good morning guys.

I don't know what the Lava Lightnig kit will look like in the end. No idea at all. But I can tell you a couple of things. First is that the pictures that are listed on teh Lava Lighting site of my kit as well as other people's kits appear to have been photo shopped. Nobodies kit on the market looks that bad. Not even if you try. Not even if you take the fiber out, burn the ends with a lighter and then insert color filters.

Second, the 300 watt bulb shown is not what his kit will have in it. He's trying to bolster some insane argument that you can't make the fiber carry anymore light. For all I know, this nutjob actually believes that. Of course pictures I've supplied of Gen IV -vs- Gen V completely destroy this argument. So if that is what he believes, you can judge his level of knowledge and intelligence. If he knows this to be false as he must, then you can judge his honesty and credibility which is nil.

Second, he uses a 300 watt bulb to demonstrate this using a 120 volt bulb with an ELH designation. This bulb essentially has no focal length at all. You cannot focus it, it's meant to be used with a focusnig lense. It's the equivalent of placing fiber in front of one of those search lights you see shooting into the sky at grand openings. Of course the ring wouldn't be brighter, you aren't getting 1/100th of the light output of the bulb into it.

In other words, Lava Lighting is playing fast and lose with the truth.

If Lava Lighting had anything other than a desire to deceive about what they can't make, why aren't there pictures of his product posted?

Lava Lighting could have made a good profit selling DDEs. He wasn't capable of it because Matt is a better vendor. Lava Lighting never engaged customers, they just whined about Matt selling in their market and didn't take care of the customer afterward. I used to fix Lava Lightings poor installs and replace StonGard that they misapplied. I've never had to do that on one of Matt's installs. Not a single one and there must be 10 times as many Umnitza customers as Lava Lighting customers.

Finally, after looking through the rest of Lava Lighting's site, those prices for the other things he sells are ridiculous. I suggest you contact Matt for any other lighting needs you might have. Those prices are crazy, Matt supports his products and he doesn't make up stories and embellish pictures with tricks.

Oh and one last thing. There was a very good point about the rings being made to look too bright and funny looking. I don't know what this thing will look like but Gen IV as well as Gen V still retain the fine line looks of the 5 Series. The Gen V kit does not glow like some fluorescent glow stick.

After all, this stuff has to go on my car too.

Homepage- DDM Tuning l Phone- (858) 633-2020 l Email- techsupport@ddmtuning.com
jsp98m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:56 PM   #40
BGReddy00
09 X5

that was a really good explantion....