E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
914kid

My Ride: many
Looking to buy a high mileage E46.

Well I was looking to buy a E46 M3. Had everything finalized but the seller stopped returning the calls so after giving him another 3 days I decided to just forget it. Not only that but our DD a corolla stopped working.

So now I have a very cheap budget $5k MAX.Once you hit 100k+ what are somethings you should look out for these cars?

Going to be getting an Auto :S. Do ALL autos fail? Or is just like a sterotype? If anyone has any E46 for sale around the tristate area for $4k-$6k let me know.

TIA.
914kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP, don't take this the wrong way, but if i had a VERY SMALL BUDGET, i
wouldn't be buying the cheapest E46 i could find, especially an extra cheap
E46 M3. There's a reason that it's so cheap, but you probably won't figure
that out until you own it. You, me, and everyone else here on E46Fanatics,
love our Bimmers, that said i would take your 4 or 5 thousand dollars and buy
a very good running (stock) Honda or Toyota. When you do have the funds
to purchase your E46, pick a good one, do a pre-purchase, and then enjoy it.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
OP, don't take this the wrong way, but if i had a VERY SMALL BUDGET, i
wouldn't be buying the cheapest E46 i could find, especially an extra cheap
E46 M3. There's a reason that it's so cheap, but you probably won't figure
that out until you own it. You, me, and everyone else here on E46Fanatics,
love our Bimmers, that said i would take your 4 or 5 thousand dollars and buy
a very good running (stock) Honda or Toyota. When you do have the funds
to purchase your E46, pick a good one, do a pre-purchase, and then enjoy it.
+1

What he said. If you buy a $5,000 E46 it will surely consume at least an extra thousand in parts alone, and if you cannot DIY then add another couple thousand on top of that. For an E46 in that price range be prepared to spend another couple of thousand on top of your budget. Better to just stick with something less expensive and more reliable in that price range.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
blacksport325

My Ride: 98 M3, 318is, CBR600
any e46 that is 5k is most likely going to require quite a bit of money, time and effort to become a good DD. Things to watch out for over 100k, water pump, coolant expansion tank, subframe, auto (no-reverse) problem...ect.
blacksport325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
ZemogFC3S

My Ride: '02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
Well I was looking to buy a E46 M3. Had everything finalized but the seller stopped returning the calls so after giving him another 3 days I decided to just forget it. Not only that but our DD a corolla stopped working.

So now I have a very cheap budget $5k MAX.Once you hit 100k+ what are somethings you should look out for these cars?

Going to be getting an Auto :S. Do ALL autos fail? Or is just like a sterotype? If anyone has any E46 for sale around the tristate area for $4k-$6k let me know.

TIA.
You didn't mean to say "M3" right?...
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
I doubt anyone would sell an E46 for $5,000 that didn't need at least a few thousand in repairs. Watch out for scams when shopping for a recent BMW selling for around $5k
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
914kid

No not a M3. I almost bought a M3 for $12k. My budget is not really $5k its around $6k. We have a 2008 528i, and a 06 ML320 and a 04 Camry lol. I would love to learn on how to DIY. How do E36's seem? Are they good cars?

I am only 16 btw.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
I am only 16 btw.
Ah... the optimism of the young...

Get yourself a Toy or a Honda, young friend, you'll then save enough money to someday get yourself the car of your dreams.

But a $5K BMW ain't gonna be it...
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Quote:

TIA.
Hahaha my guess is your not getting ANY car soon. A $5000 e46 will be a hunk of metal useful for a giant paperweight minus the broken engine from were the tracktor trailor hit it. If I could find a good e46 roller for $5000 id be surprised.

5000 lol. I wish you cant get an e36 M for that price.

Yes those are stereotypes. The only factor that effects how long a BMW or every other car for that matter is how it was taken care of and driven.

Mileage means jack, thats why peopel care about mods and a stock car usually sells better because people know mods usually mean a "well used" car

EDIT: Im being 100% serious with this according to your budget. What you should look out for are nigerians selling there car saying you have to forward them money via paypal to ship a car. Also look out for taped on M3 side fender grills and crooked M3 badges and a 4 spoke steering wheel.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
E46 S54B32

My Ride: 323ci
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=730689

buy this you won t regret it

-oem m3 front -oem m3 hood -oem m3 sideskirts-conforti intake -h&r race springs -TR Motorsport C2's -smoked corners/sidemarkers -smoked LED tails-CF CSL trunk-Black roof vinyl
E46 S54B32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
No not a M3. I almost bought a M3 for $12k. My budget is not really $5k its around $6k. We have a 2008 528i, and a 06 ML320 and a 04 Camry lol. I would love to learn on how to DIY. How do E36's seem? Are they good cars?

I am only 16 btw.
Let me give you a word of advice. I am 17 nearing 18 so ive got a little age on you. But from what it sounds like your a good kid just very new to all this but your willing to learn and your taking a stab at it.

BUY AN E36!!!

IMPORTANT: An e36 is a race car. I dont know how you drive but crashing a e36 is a lot worse than an e46. If you are going to speed be VERY, VERY careful.

A piece of advice check out my car. I now own an e36, 325is. Bought it for 2700 (over paid knowingly out of respect to BMW and because 200 bucks isn;t worth haggling over. Money well spent to shut the seller up.)

So far ive done all the work on it myself at 17 with no instructions or advice jsut a couple wrenches, alot of swearing, some patienance, more swearing and 15 years of crap falling on my face.

Check out my build here.
http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/s...5is%20Project/

Her sleeping in the garage...

Btw all the work and parts ive done so far total up to 4,000. Which is damn good for a race car build.

Next I need an M3 LSD and Vaders. Along with a nice M3 kit and wing. Lots of non riced custom work in the plans aswell stay tuned.

Last edited by SKIPPY PB; 01-19-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
no WAY am I selling my car, but how much do you think my car would go for?

00 323i black sedan 224k miles!

-brand new tranny, torque converter
-Recent Coolant System overhaul
-New Sensors (temperature, intake/exhaust camshaft)
-New Battery, new alternator
-New Serpentine belt/pulleys
-Control arms and bushings replaced often
-shocks recently replaced
-18" TSW wheels w/ new tires (i go through tires often!)
-Replacing valve cover gasket this weekend
-replacing CCV valve this weekend just in case
-Good condition interior
-Windshield washer fluid pump
-PS pump
-Lots of routine maintenance, I pretty much baby the **** out of my car, no hard driving or racing

Minor mods
-18" wheels
-m-tech II front bumper
-smoked led taillights
-clear corners sidemarkers
-matte black kidney grills
-20% tints
Bunch of little things like that

It feels like I've replaced everything in the car!

(not selling it though!)

Last edited by HellRaiser1; 01-19-2010 at 07:16 PM.
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaiser1 View Post
no WAY am I selling my car, but how much do you think my car would go for?

00 323i black sedan 224k miles!

-brand new tranny, torque converter
-Recent Coolant System overhaul
-New Sensors (temperature, intake/exhaust camshaft)
-New Battery, new alternator
-New Serpentine belt/pulleys
-Control arms and bushings replaced often
-shocks recently replaced
-18" TSW wheels w/ new tires (i go through tires often!)
-Replacing valve cover gasket this weekend
-replacing CCV valve this weekend just in case
-Good condition interior
-Windshield washer fluid pump
-PS pump
-Lots of routine maintenance, I pretty much baby the **** out of my car, no hard driving or racing

Minor mods
-18" wheels
-m-tech II front bumper
-smoked led taillights
-clear corners sidemarkers
-matte black kidney grills
-20% tints
Bunch of little things like that

It feels like I've replaced everything in the car!

(not selling it though!)
Im never looking at anything under a 325 for e46s so i dont know what they go for but given your list I would say it would go for the same price as any other one of the same year with equivilant miles. All that stuff is pretty much routine matienance. Espiecally after 200K. The 100K mark and most of that **** is supposed to be replaced even though there is no need to most of the time. No tbeing a dick thats just reality
Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
914kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
Let me give you a word of advice. I am 17 nearing 18 so ive got a little age on you. But from what it sounds like your a good kid just very new to all this but your willing to learn and your taking a stab at it.

BUY AN E36!!!

IMPORTANT: An e36 is a race car. I dont know how you drive but crashing a e36 is a lot worse than an e46. If you are going to speed be VERY, VERY careful.

A piece of advice check out my car. I now own an e36, 325is. Bought it for 2700 (over paid knowingly out of respect to BMW and because 200 bucks isn;t worth haggling over. Money well spent to shut the seller up.)

So far ive done all the work on it myself at 17 with no instructions or advice jsut a couple wrenches, alot of swearing, some patienance, more swearing and 15 years of crap falling on my face.

Check out my build here.
http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/s...5is%20Project/

Her sleeping in the garage...

Btw all the work and parts ive done so far total up to 4,000. Which is damn good for a race car build.

Next I need an M3 LSD and Vaders. Along with a nice M3 kit and wing. Lots of non riced custom work in the plans aswell stay tuned.
Great car. How many miles on it? How is the reliability? How much you spending on maintenance?

And I would never buy any BMW with 215k miles . Unless of course for $2k. Or if it has been maintained nicely.

Anyway Drew nice car . Hope to join you soon! Do you know any E36 forums?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
95dime

My Ride: '99 323i
i bought my e46 at 149k for 5400. already put 12k on since last june, had the subframe repaired for free, and other then regular oil changes i havent done anything. i have a few maintenence things i want to do just as preventative, but that is about 150 bucks in parts this time around. car is in awesome shape too no rust anywhere and interior is mint. was dealer maintained its whole life before i got it.

my dad bought his e36 with 65k from the original owner for 2k. it had dealer maintenece for everything right down to air filters. if it wasent in the lady's carport then it had a cover overnight. he now has 120k on the car and hes only spent about 800 in parts for maintenence.

you guys dont seem to know where to find the deals.

op, just keep searching. youll find something decent in your price range.

ive attached pics of both cars if you think im just full of **** too btw.

'99 323i - daily hotness
'95 s10 - 355 sbc~500hp, 5sp manual, 4:10 gears.
95dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
914kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dime View Post
i bought my e46 at 149k for 5400. already put 12k on since last june, had the subframe repaired for free, and other then regular oil changes i havent done anything. i have a few maintenence things i want to do just as preventative, but that is about 150 bucks in parts this time around. car is in awesome shape too no rust anywhere and interior is mint. was dealer maintained its whole life before i got it.

my dad bought his e36 with 65k from the original owner for 2k. it had dealer maintenece for everything right down to air filters. if it wasent in the lady's carport then it had a cover overnight. he now has 120k on the car and hes only spent about 800 in parts for maintenence.

you guys dont seem to know where to find the deals.

op, just keep searching. youll find something decent in your price range.

ive attached pics of both cars if you think im just full of **** too btw.

Where did you find the deals? What sites? Did the E46 come with service records?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
95dime

My Ride: '99 323i
^^^i bought my e46 local. was listed on craigslist. lowballed them 1k on the price. my dad bought his from a friend's sister out west and had it shipped here by train.

edit: had some service records, and carfax checked out ok. had nearly everything for the e36.

'99 323i - daily hotness
'95 s10 - 355 sbc~500hp, 5sp manual, 4:10 gears.
95dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
914kid

E46 here with some records. Had a salvage title. Only 3.5k I have a bad feeling so I am going to pass. Looking for a nice clean E36 or a okay E46. Maybe even a E39.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Great car. How many miles on it? How is the reliability? How much you spending on maintenance?

And I would never buy any BMW with 215k miles . Unless of course for $2k. Or if it has been maintained nicely.

Anyway Drew nice car . Hope to join you soon! Do you know any E36 forums?
It has 160K miles. And as far as reliablity goes this car is bulletproof. The owner neglected all matienance until everything started falling apart. And believe me it was a messy job. That guibo in my album was int he car at one point believe it or not. And the center support bearing that was in about 65 pieces was two. Yet the car still pulled through and runs like knew.

The way these cars were made, tehy were made to be driven like they were stolen and put away wet. Thats why I beat the living **** out of my car but yet its in better condition than most. Its about the way you take care of it.

Preventive matienance is the best matienance. And it gives you peace of mind instead of a when is it going to happen feeling.

If your going to start wrenching and loving your car. Get an e36, more than easy enough to work on because everything was for the most part logically built to make repair easy and parts are cheap enough.

Also the cars have really hit a low point and you can find them real cheap. Plus all the M parts you can get is ridiculous. I bought the 325is over an M3 jsut for the chassis and considering the factors and how everything is transferable it just makes sense to pay cheaper insurance. Its going to be a race car so performance wise ill be eating porsches. Whats to lose?

How ever if your just going to DD or commit a sin and buy the car for its name get a 5er. Good cars but more of an old mans car, considering the weight issue pushing it to its limits is a little bit more "dangerous".

e46 is the last BMW i would call a BMW and by that i mean the last car they made for us as in the enthusasit.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
ALMSBMW

My Ride: 2001 330CI convertib
I have bought a couple e46's off Craigslist. They needed very little tlc just routine maint. bought a 2001 325i for 5600 104000 miles did the maint and put on some nice wheels drove it for 6 months and sold it for 7500.oo Then bought another 325i in awesome shape just needed psp for 6000 still driving it. Craigslist is great if you know what you are looking at and deal locally in person. If you don't know cars exspecially BMW be careful. I am in Columbus Ohio check out our craigslist postings look in Dayton and Cincinnati too you will be surprised
http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/1552730841.html
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1552543470.html
http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/1550574743.html

They are a little more than you want to spend but the ones I bought were priced a couple thousand more than I gave for them too

Last edited by ALMSBMW; 01-19-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot pics
ALMSBMW is offline   Reply With Quote