E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
captkhaos

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Airbag Recall Dealership Adventure

I know, I know... tons of threads on this. I just wanted to post my recent (today) experience at the dealership. First, I brought my '02 330 in for the recall last week. No sweat, they did it while I waited. 2 days later I got the airbag light. I made another appointment and bought it back in yesterday. They called me this morning to tell me it was ready. When I got there they couldn't find my car. 45 minutes later, car found, airbag light on! Quick fix they said and drove off.

More coffee and magazines and after about a half hour they brought it back. As the tech jumped out to let me leave... the light came back on. My rep says OK we'll put in a new airbag (again). 45 minutes later they bring the car down and again, as the tech is getting out, the light comes back on. Off he goes. Now my rep comes to me in the waiting room (very nice) and says it's my clock spring. I'd never heard of it before (but now I'm up to speed).

They tell me they'll cover the labor but I need to pay $175 for the part. I protest and voila, an hour later they bring my car to me... with the airbag light! They took it back again and when they brought it back the tech, Eduardo, spent several minutes with me discussing the process. Great guy, very knowledgeable, loves the E46. Bad contacts he said. Also gave the car a nice wash and vacuum. It looks great! New airbag... free. New clock spring.. free. 8 hours at the dealership... priceless.

Last edited by Solidjake; 12-11-2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spacing
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Priceless!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
asianisafish

My Ride: 330ci
I got my passenger airbag done, I have to go back for my drivers side later
asianisafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
captkhaos

BTW, I saw my first Z8 today at the dealership. What an awesome car. I thought it was brand new... as in 2016. In fact they were discontinued in 2003. Gorgeous. Sexy like Jag E Types were. You can learn a lot if you hang around rich people..
Old 12-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #5
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
The captain is baaaaaaack! Great story, made me chuckle. You are way more patient than most.

But........clock spring? WTF is that? The clock in these cars is all-electronic, so where is this so-called spring???

Last edited by BaliDawg; 12-11-2015 at 12:20 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Maybe he meant occupancy sensor? Last tch sounds like a good bloke.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:33 AM   #7
captkhaos

The clock spring has nothing to do with the clock... go figure. If you pull out the airbag (YouTube videos) you'll see the electronics modules that power your turn signals, wipers, cruise control etc. Behind that, after pulling off the steering wheel, you'll find the rogue clockspring. You can find them at most of the online guys for about $100. When you turn the steering wheel, there is a ribbon cable that carries all of the inputs to the proper places and it works like a spring loaded fishing reel. It reels the ribbon cable in and it let's the ribbon cable out. You know it can't last forever so better that you know about it now. Knowledge is never too heavy a burden to carry...

Last edited by captkhaos; 12-11-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Crazy that the light was that persistent but I'm glad they handled it and you got it for free
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #9
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Sounds like a nice day of cars and coffee. I never mind having to wait at the dealership either. Saw the new 750 last month and was quite impressed.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
I got my passenger bag replaced and they washed my car. Magically, my hazard switch broke during it's time at the dealership. They wanted to charge me like $70 for a new switch and said they would do me a favor and waive the installation labor. I suppose most people would respond positively to "free labor" at a BMW dealership but I know it's a 1 minute job.

In retrospect I should have at least given them a chance and asked them to price match with one of the online vendors.

Maybe it was just time for the switch to break, but it's highly coincidental that it happened during my first trip to the dealer in several years.

There was an E90 335 there as well. His engine sounded like it was beating a squirrel to death with a hammer.

Last edited by LeMansteve; 12-11-2015 at 07:56 AM.
LeMansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
mleindek

My Ride: 2003 325i
Glad you had your problem solved OP, you are a patient man!

Did this at BMW of Fairfax a month ago, the service was good and with no issues or questions, they did a "courtesy inspection" and tried to convince me that my filters needed to be replaced:

Cabin air filter: $168
Air filter: $230
Fuel filter: $500 ish

The bright side is that they didn't find anything wrong with the car at all and I drank a coffee and got my car washed for $0
The downside is that I felt really poor... My car was by far the oldest and more basic in the whole lot.

Maybe when the time comes to buy a newer BMW I'll take it to the dealership...... Not!
mleindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #12
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
$168 for a cabin filter???????? Yikes! That takes less than 5 minutes and the filter cost the dealer $20!!!! Samo for the other "needs."
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleindek View Post
Morons... and there are people that pay that much for that
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #14
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
I'm not a typical BMW dealer kind of guy, I don't think they'd appreciate my rebuilt myself, filthy, tools in the trunk, mismatched tires car very much, lol. if I don't have to go to them for the airbag recall, I'm not going.
mpvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
Quote:

Did this at BMW of Fairfax a month ago, the service was good and with no issues or questions, they did a "courtesy inspection" and tried to convince me that my filters needed to be replaced:

The bright side is that they didn't find anything wrong with the car at all and I drank a coffee and got my car washed for $0
The downside is that I felt really poor... My car was by far the oldest and more basic in the whole lot.

Maybe when the time comes to buy a newer BMW I'll take it to the dealership...... Not!
although dealers get repaid for warranty/recall work, they are pressured by the GM to milk you for all you've got while you're in their playpen. all dealers are like that, but BMW has the added advantage that most owners are well-heeled and don't work on their own cars. so, when you hand them a ridiculous inflated bill, they just pay it.
mpvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #16
06330CIe46

My Ride: 2006 330CI
I still have to go to the dealership to have mine serviced for the same recall. Hopefully I won't have near as bad as experience as you had!
06330CIe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #17
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:

What's amazing to me is they could say that with a straight face.

Does it come with a hooker for that price?

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
ramitchell

My Ride: 330CiC M-Sport
Has anyone in North Carolina had their airbag replaced yet? I called the dealer here in Charlotte several months ago and was told I would be on a 'waiting list'. It seems like a lot of people are getting them replaced with no problem. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #19
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Had mine done last February and they told me my rear springs were broken. Told them I'd replace them myself as I stood there with a bunch of parts for my e36 that their parts dept had price matched to online vendors. A month later the car was hit, no airbag deployment, but when the body shop guy touched the trim over the glove box it fell off, broken clips. Imagine that. Still waiting to hear about the drivers airbag, light is on but the fault is the drivers door bag insufficient voltage.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #20
Derekwh

My Ride: '01 330cic & '86 E24
I had my passenger bag replaced, any definitive answer if the bag for the sport wheel will be recalled?
Derekwh is offline   Reply With Quote