E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #21
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
Stock e46 coupe complete doors = 73 Lbs each

Carbon fiber door shells with lexan windows = 19lbs each

I have no idea how I found that out.

I'm not too far off from posting a very comprehensive weight listing for the E46 coupe. It's like a hobby within a hobby.
I check your "car and wheel weights" thread at least twice daily hoping to see an update...matter of fact, I read the entire thread post by post last night. I can't get enough!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #22
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
I took about 200lbs off the TT and I'm getting about 1-2mpg more than I was before. This week when I drove up to Vegas, I got about 27mpg (mainly because I was going 70-75mph on average due to all the cars on the road).
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 AM   #23
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

So you could generally say that 100lbs of weight savings gives you 1mpg more?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 AM   #24
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
putting on csl trunk and vorst double sided cf hood increase my mpg by 2. then i took everything off to paint and it went back down by 2.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
ice330ci05

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing.Ray View Post
-replace xenon headlights with halogen

the xenon can't be that heavy, can it?

Quote:
Stock e46 coupe complete doors = 73 Lbs each

Carbon fiber door shells with lexan windows = 19lbs each

I have no idea how I found that out.

I'm not too far off from posting a very comprehensive weight listing for the E46 coupe. It's like a hobby within a hobby.
where would someone get their hands on one

i plan on doing CF roof in the future. Can I put lexan windshield and for the rear window too?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #26
ice330ci05

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
putting on csl trunk and vorst double sided cf hood increase my mpg by 2. then i took everything off to paint and it went back down by 2.
hahahaha, HEAVY paint
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #27
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice330ci05 View Post
the xenon can't be that heavy, can it?

where would someone get their hands on one

i plan on doing CF roof in the future. Can I put lexan windshield and for the rear window too?
I've weighed both types of headlights, there is very little difference. Performance wise, I prefer the xenons. (I'm keeping mine)

I have 3 sources of CF doors:

- MAShaw
- Carbon Shop
- PTG

This is NOT something you want to run unless you have additional side impact protection. (Full Cage)

Lexan windows are not street legal, and even the high quality ones scratch under normal use. Pro race cars have a special cleaning routine to prevent scratches, however the debri from track driving seems to do a lot of damage anyway. They also avoid using wipers in all but the worst situations.

I wouldn't recommend lexan unless you are chasing a number at the drag strip, or competing in a professional championship.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #28
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
I've weighed both types of headlights, there is very little difference. Performance wise, I prefer the xenons. (I'm keeping mine)

- MAShaw
- Carbon Shop
- PTG

This is NOT something you want to run unless you have additional side impact protection. (Full Cage)

Lexan windows are not street legal, and even the high quality ones scratch under normal use. Pro race cars have a special cleaning routine to prevent scratches, however the debri from track driving seems to do a lot of damage anyway. They also avoid using wipers in all but the worst situations.

I wouldn't recommend lexan unless you are chasing a number at the drag strip, or competing in a professional championship.
Very good info/advice. This is part of the reason I created this thread. To see things done on a track/drag strip car and if any of the modifications can also be done safely on a predominantly street-driven car.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #29
ice330ci05

Quote:

- MAShaw
- Carbon Shop
- PTG

got any links to the above? howmuch do they go for? it's the whole door not just the inner part, right?

is there any type of lightweight glass that i can use when i do my CF roof swap? if anything just the rear one..??

thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
+1

And by side impact protection he's talking about something like this.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #31
ice330ci05

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
+1

And by side impact protection he's talking about something like this.
nice cage!!

do you have cf doors, or you just stripped down the stock?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #32
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Stripped down stock(stock 'crash bar' remains).
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #33
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Just to clarify on the CF doors: These are not the inner panel, the are the door shells. You then have to attach the stock latching mechanism and hinges. The "normal" doors are not made to support a window. If you want to run a lexan side windown integrated into the door, you'll have to ask for it and it costs extra. (PTG got theirs from BMW Motorsport for big $) Carbon Shop builds their door from the start to run lexan if you chose.

In any case, the real weight savings in stripping down a door are from removing 2 things:

- The power window stuff including the glass
- The crash bar which Greg has wisely chosen to keep in.

I really don't recommend using lexan on a street car. The fastening system required for example leaks in the rain. You also will need to run at least one support bar through your field of vision so the lexan doesn't buckle and/or tear out.

Also, most of you guys seem to like tinted windows, which you can't do with lexan. (I mean using tinting film) You have to spend a LOT of money to get quality tinted lexan. (PTG runs tinted side and rear lexan on the Panoz car)

The best thing you can do to lose weight is strip out your entire interior and remove the sunroof. Keep the A/C system.
This is a lot more streetable than running CF doors and lexan, it's way cheaper, and it saves more weight.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #34
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
The best thing you can do to lose weight is strip out your entire interior and remove the sunroof. Keep the A/C system.
This is a lot more streetable than running CF doors and lexan, it's way cheaper, and it saves more weight.
+1
Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #35
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
One other option is to own a Diesel VW. I've owned one of these things (in one form or another) since 1985. I now own a 2000 Jetta TDI that has 200K on the clock and still gives 50mpg on the highway and 45 in the city. It's been paid off since 2003 and cheap to insure. I love my TDI.

As for my all purpose vehicle, I have a 2003 VW Eurovan Weekender. I can tow my car, go camping, haul 30 sheets of plywood and be the envy of just about everyone I know. As soon as I can make this thing a TDI, I'll have the best of everything.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #36
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
I'm getting ~22.6 mpg since my last reset (July 1st). This is combined highway/city driving due only to commuting. Not representative of anything at this point. Just thought I'd put a figure out.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #37
m3m3me

My Ride: 2002 M3
I'm lovin your thread. Thanks for the update. Except for fenders and doors I have carbon fiber, including seats. I get 30-31 mpg on trips to Laguna Seca averaging 65-70mph with no A/C on. I commute 35 miles from OC to LAX daily and pull down 28.5 with 8 miles of that being secondary roads. The M3 exhaust swapped for Borla's saved 36 lbs, the seats saved 30 lbs each, and the Vorsteiner double sided CF hood, boot, and single sided bumper, skirts, diffuser and roof saved ~50lbs. StopTech BBK and HR springs added a few pounds. I've netted -150 lbs. I drive like an old lady, but love an occasional on-ramp romp as much as the next guy. Racing is for the track!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #38
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
There are a few other ways to increase your fuel mileage:
-Install four space savers and pump them up to 80psi.
-Tape up all of your seams on the front of the car
-Lower the car
-Make a homemade front spoiler (out of lawn edging) so it keeps all of the air from under the car
-Taks a ball peen hammer and make a bunch of dimples on all of the body surfaces
-Go on the South Beach diet and lose some weight
-Drive nude (shoes and clothes do weigh a bit)
-Install a sail in top of the car (harness the power of the wind when applicable)
Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 AM   #39
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
-Install a sail in top of the car (harness the power of the wind when applicable)
Funny you mention that. I decided I was going to install sails on my car while its all torn apart and undergoing major surgery. We even considered constructing our own pirate ship widebody around the car. I want to be the first sail-powered e46 out there
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #40
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

How much weight is saved when changing the windows to plastic? Is it advisable?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote