E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
M3This

My Ride: 07 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to M3This
Anyone building a car for Time Attack?

Hey guys I was over on www.TimeAttackForums.com and noticed there are very few to none Euros. I was just wondering if anyone here is into TA and if there are any full blown TA cars in the making? I think it would be awesome for some Euro competition in the scene.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
W2w>ta .
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
M3This

Whats W2w ... world touring car ?

Not everyone can afford wheel to wheel .... plus TA is racing the clock so its about building the fastest car possible with pretty much no rules (if running unlimited class).
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3This View Post
Whats W2w ... world touring car ?

Not everyone can afford wheel to wheel .... plus TA is racing the clock so its about building the fastest car possible with pretty much no rules (if running unlimited class).
W2W=wheel to wheel.

I don't see a big difference in build cost, you SHOULD be running the same safety equipment either way. W2W might be even be cheaper because in most cases you're limited to what modifications you can make.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
M3This

less body damage ... and usually wheel to wheel has more fully prepped Race Teams with HUGE budgets ... not a man and his car type deal.

Build costs would be a big difference! esp if your competing in street class or modified class.

Redline's Rules can be found here:

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index-2.html
Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
vaio76109

Quote:
less body damage ... and usually wheel to wheel has more fully prepped Race Teams with HUGE budgets ... not a man and his car type deal.

Build costs would be a big difference! esp if your competing in street class or modified class.

Redline's Rules can be found here:

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index-2.html
Regarding body damage; race with someone with 13/13 rules, that will greatly cut down on body damage. Nothing can eliminate the chance of it...

I'm not talking about grand-am or F1 here, I'm talking about club racing. 99% of the time it's a guy and his car. No 'team', maybe a friend that will hold a fire extinguisher during a pit stop if you're lucky. There certainly are not huge budgets in club racing...

The thing that scares me most about TT/TA is how under prepared the cars are safety wise.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
AlpineCI

My Ride: is paint code 300!
SICK, i would pay to see this thing go around the track at full bore

AlpineCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
M3This

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post

The thing that scares me most about TT/TA is how under prepared the cars are safety wise.
Why would that scare you? If your car is prepped with proper safety equipment you should have nothing to worry about ... the guy driving the car thats under prepared should be the one worried.

Most of the rules are based off NASA and SCCA safety rules and are inspected prior to racing so they should be fairly "safe"
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
M3This

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCI View Post
SICK, i would pay to see this thing go around the track at full bore

Me too ... I would love to see some DTM cars out on the track kicking some JDM ass
Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
AlpineCI

My Ride: is paint code 300!
Quote:
Me too ... I would love to see some DTM cars out on the track kicking some JDM ass
how funny would it be if this bucket passed an evo on the track...LOL omg

AlpineCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
M3This

LOL ... I dont know .. some of those Evos and STIs are Damn fast!

The BC Racing S2000 won the overall time attack last weekend with a 1:35.307 at Miller!!

http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...3-results.html

Im considering putting together a E36 M3 for the street class.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
vaio76109

Quote:
Why would that scare you? If your car is prepped with proper safety equipment you should have nothing to worry about ... the guy driving the car thats under prepared should be the one worried.

Most of the rules are based off NASA and SCCA safety rules and are inspected prior to racing so they should be fairly "safe"
Cars with 5-600 hp with no cage, stock seats, and stock 3pts running lap times faster than most 'race cars'... that scares me. Contact between cars can happen and does happen in a TT/TA environment. How would you feel if you killed a guy on track because he didn't have a cage/hans/seat/etc? I wouldn't want to have that on my conscience.

NASA and SCCA RACE rules require cages, H&N device(NASA will, idk about SCCA), seats, harnesses, fire systems, etc. The safety rules are almost nothing alike.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
M3This

I understand that ... but at most there are 2 cars on the track at the same time during the full bore time attack.

If you look at most HPDE the rules are not any less then them. Source Media's Super Lap Battle is ran by NASA and requires the car to meet all of NASA's TT specs.

http://www.nasa-tt.com/
Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
vaio76109

Quote:
I understand that ... but at most there are 2 cars on the track at the same time during the full bore time attack.

If you look at most HPDE the rules are not any less then them. Source Media's Super Lap Battle is ran by NASA and requires the car to meet all of NASA's TT specs.

http://www.nasa-tt.com/
HPDE's aren't racing though, so comparing the rules to them is moot.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
M3This

HPDE are worst ... several different classes of drivers with multi cars running on track at one time ... in some of the intermed classes I have been in at certain HPDEs they have mixed Experienced and Intermed together and had open passing. On top of that they where renting timers so people where going full bore.

How is that worst then 2 car on track (max) paced apart running?

Also didnt you just say NASA rules are good and then I showed you NASA runs the Source Media (Super Street) Super Lap Battle. So the safety is up to par there.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
vaio76109

Quote:
HPDE are worst ... several different classes of drivers with multi cars running on track at one time ... in some of the intermed classes I have been in at certain HPDEs they have mixed Experienced and Intermed together and had open passing. On top of that they where renting timers so people where going full bore.

How is that worst then 2 car on track (max) paced apart running?

Also didnt you just say NASA rules are good and then I showed you NASA runs the Source Media (Super Street) Super Lap Battle. So the safety is up to par there.
Worse*

I don't know what HPDE's you've attended, but they sound awful. In a normal well run DE, drivers are organized according to their skill, lap timers aren't allowed(sans data acq systems), and point bys are required. Instructors are required or available, etc.

I'm talking about the NASA Race rules, not their TT Rules.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf
pgs 55-69 are the RACE rules
Pgs 43-47 are the TT rules(which are the SAME as the HPDE rules)

All I'm saying is that in general TT/TA cars are under prepared in the safety equipment area. For as fast as some of them are, more safety equipment should be required.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
M3This

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post

All I'm saying is that in general TT/TA cars are under prepared in the safety equipment area. For as fast as some of them are, more safety equipment should be required.
I agree with you on that ... however I still think the sport is awesome and a great way to see tuners battle out what they can build. My main reason for this post wasnt to get in a safety debate ... it was more wondering why there are no Euro cars in Time Attack as I really think it would be great for the sport and I really think some of the Euro teams with cars like your self would really do well in the sport as well as help diversify it.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
This is something I'd be interested in getting involved in...
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
M3This

You made a valid point about the safety ... so I created a thread about it:

http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...-concerns.html

A lot of the people that put on the two main series for Time Attack here in the states go on the site so its a good place to voice your concerns.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #20
M3This

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
This is something I'd be interested in getting involved in...
Here is the list of upcoming events:

http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/index-5.html

also check out: www.TimeAttackForums.com for more info site has a lot of the teams that currently compete on there and its not just about time attack ... it is also open to HPDEs, TT, Rally, Auto-X and more.