E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2002, 03:32 AM   #1
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Why does the Heat shield on the ECIS for the 330 look so much different than the...

ECIS for the 323?

Does the 330 shield fit on the 323?
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:52 AM   #2
Cecil
^.^

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to Cecil Send a message via AIM to Cecil
well the piping on a 330 is bigger than the 323 so... it would be loose

"Nothing is permanent... except change... "
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 10:53 AM   #3
SrCsTc
Banned

Yeah but why is the heat shield a different shape?
Old 04-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
Oh my gosh! I have been waiting for someone to ask this!

The reason is that on 325/330, the stock airbox is modified to take in air from a secondary inlet beside the driver's side headlight. ECIS then "redesigned" their heat shield accordingly: that is to allow air from beside the headlight too. Hence the modification of the heat shield from the U-shape to the L-shape.

Now, my question is why ECIS did not originally design a L-shape heat shield for the 323/328. Even before 325/330, it is only common sense to know that one has to look for ways to maximise airflow. It is obvious that by introducing a secondary inlet allows more airflow. It far too obvious to me that ECIS did not optimise their heat shield design at all for 323/328! What they simply did was to follow what BMW designed for 323/328 (single inlet stock airbox). This bothers me a lot. Cos if you're in the "tuning" business, you don't just follow, you innovate and optimise.

I have since been telling pple to cut that U-shape into a L-shape. Not only do you allow air from the primary inlet but also from beside the headlight assembly.

:smile:

Quote:
Originally posted by srcstc
Yeah but why is the heat shield a different shape?

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 12:21 PM   #5
SrCsTc
Banned

Not only that but it looks stupid in the U shape...

Will the Heatshield from the 325/330 fit the 323? Does it need to be modified to fit the 323? (Not the intake but the shield)

Thanks Vince
Old 04-14-2002, 12:25 PM   #6
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Re: Not only that but it looks stupid in the U shape...

Hmm...

my intuition tells me it *should* work. But to be really sure, find someone around your are with the new heat shield and compare from there.

Another cheaper approach is cut one side of the U-shape heat shield.

Quote:
Originally posted by srcstc
Will the Heatshield from the 325/330 fit the 323? Does it need to be modified to fit the 323? (Not the intake but the shield)

Thanks Vince

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:39 PM   #7
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
ECIS is not innovative just a rip. read....

I've been researching my own air intake and air box. By no means is ECIS innovative. If they were innovative they would sell us a all aluminumn air box with a lid for the price of the ECIS. What they are doing is ripping us off since no one else makes a cold air intake that has a heat shield. They simply took maybe 3-4 hours to come up with the shield design, 3-4 hours to make a fiberglass mold and poof pop out a heat shield. Paint it black and apply carpet material and rubber mold trim. All the other parts are off the shelf. Maybe they took time to fabricate the little piece of metal to hold the thing on.

I'm working on two things. One applying heat shielding material to the stock air box partially internally and externally. The heat shielding material is a special paint, not just a high heat paint or regular reflective paint. The objective is to lower the temperature by 15-20 degrees in the air box. According to Nowack which I'm sure you've heard of them, bmw's air flow meter has temperature sensors in it which regulates the air and gass flow. If the temperature of the air is hotter in the intake it lowers air intake and gass flow. By lowering the temperature, you effectively stop the ECU from lowering performance at operating temperature and raise HP and Torque according to Nowack by 20HP. This is why your car feels like it performs better in the first 15-20 minutes of operation than after although sometimes the drive by wire shiat kicks in and makes the car feel sluggish.

Second I'm working on my own custom molded air intake. I'm going to use the stock curvature as a model but will be open air like the ECIS.

Well three options, also I'm going to try to add a second air intake tube to the stock air box but not just put it in a cold air zone behind the bumper like DINAN's or what someone else did "1stDinan". I'm going to mount a funnel in a air pressure zone which will push air to the air box. I'm hoping with special aeospace heat shielding paint and additional air intake to the stock airbox, I will gain as much HP and Torque as the ECIS if not more. I will keep you all posted.

Kevin
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:19 PM   #8
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Re: ECIS is not innovative just a rip. read....

31st330i, myself and Kaz discussed this way back last year. Kaz and I eventually gathered IAT, MAF data from the OBD II software. I helped 31st drafted up his ESIS idea in SolidWorks.

My take is this: there is a threshold for how much performance you can gain from optimizing the air intake flow. I have always believe in modifying from "inside-out" rather than "outside-in". The former implies changing cams, lighter pistons, longer strokes etc, then optimize the intake/exhaust accordingly. The latter is just reversed.

Also, I am sure you take into account turbulent and laminar flow.

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinJ_2k1_325ci
I've been researching my own air intake and air box. By no means is ECIS innovative. If they were innovative they would sell us a all aluminumn air box with a lid for the price of the ECIS. What they are doing is ripping us off since no one else makes a cold air intake that has a heat shield. They simply took maybe 3-4 hours to come up with the shield design, 3-4 hours to make a fiberglass mold and poof pop out a heat shield. Paint it black and apply carpet material and rubber mold trim. All the other parts are off the shelf. Maybe they took time to fabricate the little piece of metal to hold the thing on.

I'm working on two things. One applying heat shielding material to the stock air box partially internally and externally. The heat shielding material is a special paint, not just a high heat paint or regular reflective paint. The objective is to lower the temperature by 15-20 degrees in the air box. According to Nowack which I'm sure you've heard of them, bmw's air flow meter has temperature sensors in it which regulates the air and gass flow. If the temperature of the air is hotter in the intake it lowers air intake and gass flow. By lowering the temperature, you effectively stop the ECU from lowering performance at operating temperature and raise HP and Torque according to Nowack by 20HP. This is why your car feels like it performs better in the first 15-20 minutes of operation than after although sometimes the drive by wire shiat kicks in and makes the car feel sluggish.

Second I'm working on my own custom molded air intake. I'm going to use the stock curvature as a model but will be open air like the ECIS.

Well three options, also I'm going to try to add a second air intake tube to the stock air box but not just put it in a cold air zone behind the bumper like DINAN's or what someone else did "1stDinan". I'm going to mount a funnel in a air pressure zone which will push air to the air box. I'm hoping with special aeospace heat shielding paint and additional air intake to the stock airbox, I will gain as much HP and Torque as the ECIS if not more. I will keep you all posted.

Kevin

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.