E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
DOB2009

My Ride: 325i
DIY to restore head light covers?

I know I saw a DIY on how to restore those faded cloudy headlight covers some where. I cannot even remember if it was this forum, but I cannot find it now when I search. I just remember it involved using a kit with several different sand paper grits. I'm going to have my off next week and just want to make them clear as possible, they are very clear now, not cloudy but they have little specs on them, so the kit may even be over kill.

Does any one have a link to the kit/DIY on this, or a recommendation to clean them? Thanks in advance
DOB2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
TMQ

My Ride: Golf R, E46 330CiC
Send a message via MSN to TMQ
for cleaning the covers i would recommend getting some polish like Menzerna Intensive Polish and a Micro fibre cloth and just buff away, this should remove any light scratches and some of the cloudyness
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Fredrik M

My Ride: 125i Coupe 2011
I rescued my fathers headlights from the scrapyard with a chrome polish and after that i finished it with BMW's polish for the plastic Z3 Roadster rear window. Came out great and it was only about 10 to 15 minutes of work and i tell you theese headligt covers was fu**ed up because he has tried to clean them up with one of those insect removing spunges. Only ending up with more scratches and plastic so cloudy that you almost couldn't see the lights behind the cover.

E46 330i sold and replaced with an 2011 125iC
Fredrik M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
Maybe this?
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #5
DOB2009

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Maybe this?
that wasn't it but nice DIY thanks for post.
DOB2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
tonee

My Ride: BMW 320Ci, GSX-R1000
Well i dont know if it works but dad told me to brush it with toothpaste? =/ im guna try it now lol
Old 07-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Mothers Mag and Wheel polish or a similar chrome/wheel polish will work well. I used it to remove a large scuff from a tree limb from one of my headlights and with a lot of heaving rubbing it all but came out completely. Afterwords some of you may want to follow up with a finer plastic polish but I've never needed to.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
IndyGreen

My Ride: 2000 323i
Its at: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...headlight+lens
IndyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
bumping an old, but good, thread!

Nice write-up.