E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #21
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Be careful what you say...

This M3 would destroy a Nissan GTR. The fact of the matter remains that this will be the fastest (and probably the only) race-prepped M3 to be produced by BMW-Motorsport. It's going to be competing head-to-head with Porsches RSRs and the like. I would even argue that the M3 GTR may very well give a Nissan GTR a run for it's money...but even then, why even compare them? The Nissan is a fairly available street car and these M3s are going to be race-only (ALMS) & limited production (GTR) vehicles (of which the GTR will probably not come to the United States). IIRC even the E46 M3 GTR was faster than the all-mighty CSL which gives a strong indication that the new GTR will be faster than the new CSL...which will in turn be faster than the standard M3. Now, of course, the Nissan will beat a standard M3, but I wouldn't go around making any claims like that about any future production vehicles until official Nordschleife lap times are released. Just MHO

PS. A small caveat - keep in mind that the Nissan GTR's Nordschleife lap was documented on race (slick) tyres.
Thank you, i did not feel like explaining this
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 AM   #22
Brian N

My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer07 View Post
Thank you, i did not feel like explaining this
+1 Thank God you stepped in. Some people on this forum are just dumb as these days. And don't realize they are trying to compare a race car to a production car.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 AM   #23
The Gorilla

My Ride: E46 M3
Hi,

The E92 M3 GTR car which will compete in the 2009 ALMS has done
around 7.10 secs at the Ring.

They believe that once 'fully' set up then going through the 7.00 mins
barrier is possible.

In real terms that is just incredible, as it is getting very
close to the Porsche C1/C3 Times, which many felt could never be done
by any car based on a mass production made shell.

I believe the E92 M3 GTR/ ALMS Car will have the rest of the Grid
very concerned for the forthcoming 2009 series.

Regards,

The Gorilla.
The Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #24
Krizzy TanG

My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
Beautiful...
Krizzy TanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #25
drchuck72

My Ride: 2003 M3
Nissan GTR vs BMW M3

First off, I will say that I think the new GTR from Nissan is a phenomenal piece of work. Personally, I think it looks great, has awesome performance numbers and has a great performance lineage. Wait a minute, this sounds familiar? Of course, the BMW M3 also looks great, also has awesome performance numbers and also has a great performance lineage. HMMMMMMM...

In any case, something some of you are forgetting is that the M3 GTR is the ultimate performance expression of the M3 with a track tuned suspension, racing slick tires, wide track etc. Even an E46 M3 GTR would mop the floor with the Nissan GTR as the Nissan is a street tuned car. Now if you were to take a GT500 (formerly JGTC) Nissan GTR and compared it to an M3 GTR, that would be interesting!

Another interesting point to consider is the comparison done by Car and Driver in their July 2008 issue. This was a comparo between the Porsche 911 Turbo, the Nissan GTR and the BMW M3. You may think that the M3 would be totally outclassed in this group given the raw numbers (414hp, 295 lbs-ft vs 480/505 for the Porsche and 480/430 for the Nissan). However, the M3 did not only hold its own, but, it won the comparo test. Of course, factors like sound levels, base/as tested price and other non performance factors came into play, but, the fact is the BMW prevailed as the best overall car (and of course, it was no slouch in the performance department).
Supersprint Exhaust

drchuck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #26
ultimatebimmer
Banned

My Ride: M3
Impressive!
ultimatebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #27
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
I'm not comparing a street car to a track car. A few other people in this thread have been doing that and instead fo going thru and writing a long response i said **** it, cause i dont see how people can come a track car to a street car.

on that note. Even the e46 m3 GTR can eat up a nissan GTR
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #28
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
y'all are silly. For starters the ALMS spec car may be totally different than the next gen schnitzer Motorsport 24 he car. Next keep in mind that bobby rahal, whose team will campaign the alms car(s), doesn't care what his car can do around the nurburgring. The alms doesn't visit tracks like that. Circuits here are dramatically different than in Europe. As for the nissan if the new alms car is on par with the originals I'd say it will make the gt-r look like a moving chicane. Who cares tho? That's like saying an f430 would womp the bmw f1 cars because it's faster than an m3.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #29
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
this fuking video just made my day.

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #30
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3 View Post
y'all are silly. For starters the ALMS spec car may be totally different than the next gen schnitzer Motorsport 24 he car. Next keep in mind that bobby rahal, whose team will campaign the alms car(s), doesn't care what his car can do around the nurburgring. The alms doesn't visit tracks like that. Circuits here are dramatically different than in Europe. As for the nissan if the new alms car is on par with the originals I'd say it will make the gt-r look like a moving chicane. Who cares tho? That's like saying an f430 would womp the bmw f1 cars because it's faster than an m3.
FYI, I wasn't referring to getting 'ring times for the GTR or ALMS cars but rather for the CSL...because by that benchmark, it would easily show these silly people that a CSL would be faster than a Nissan - which by default would mean that the racecars are faster. I'm not quite sure how someone can think that a Nissan GTR would be faster than a GT-Classed Car.

Oh wait...must be the 4x4
Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #31
che13

My Ride: 90 325is,04 330i ZHP
very sweet video
Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #32
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
FYI, I wasn't referring to getting 'ring times for the GTR or ALMS cars but rather for the CSL...because by that benchmark, it would easily show these silly people that a CSL would be faster than a Nissan - which by default would mean that the racecars are faster. I'm not quite sure how someone can think that a Nissan GTR would be faster than a GT-Classed Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto19 View Post
+1 Thank God you stepped in. Some people on this forum are just dumb as these days. And don't realize they are trying to compare a race car to a production car.

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #33
Aquaman

My Ride: AA Stage 2 M3
Does anybody have the schedule for the ALMS season - broadcast dates for the Speed Channel?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #34
madchef

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan MB/NB
Can't wait to see how this thing does in ALMS!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #35
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
i need that car in my life
Old 07-29-2008, 01:09 AM   #36
assdon
Banned

My Ride: bmw750
very like!
assdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #37
GodSendsDeath

My Ride: 2008 350z 6-speed!!!
I love this M3...I do I really do, but the real GTR lol would mop the floor lol...

Didn't the ZR1 vette beat the production record of the GTR? And no the run was not done on slick's it was a street setup just like of the show room floor.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #38
TopazKD

My Ride: blue zombie
I fell in love AGAIN!!!!!

"///M3 drivers have no friends!" -Jeremy Clarkson....
TopazKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #39
krenar

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Send a message via MSN to krenar
There are many street cars that they are faster than the BMW m3. Maby not so hot or luxurious but faster. Now in ALMS all cars in a class are suposed to have simular power and weight so if nissan gtr had the advantage of more power in the street car, on ALMS is gona have the disadvantage against the bmw famous performance and handling. I am a bimmer fan so im going to cheer for the bmw but keep in mind thet 50% of all this is dependet on the driver.
krenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #40
willyd

My Ride: 99' 323i - sold :(
i don't know who would 'win' in the ALMS between the nissan gtr and the m3 gtr... but in my HUMBLE opinion, the m3 has the looks and power, as well as the experience to dominate the series... regardless of how awesome you might think nissan is...

UUC Stage 2 Suspension :: 18 x 8.5 CSL Reps :: Pirelli PZero Nero :: Clears :: Titanium Enhanced DDE :: Need More $$
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote