E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
destroyer427

My Ride: 2000 M5
Question Radioshack resistor for front turn LEDs not working

I installed some amber 1157 LEDs (88 mA draw at 12v) for front turn signals from superbrightleds and am having an issue with getting my radioshack resistor to work with the bulb so that it prevents the bulb out warning/flashes at normal rate. The resistor is a wirewound 50 ohm 10% 10 watt, it is connected to both turn signal wires via a wire tap and plugged into with a male crimp connector. I've also stripped the wire at the wire tap contact point to ensure that all points of connection are bare metal to metal. See attached pic

With all of this hooked up I still get a bulb out warning and the bulb blinks at the very fast rate. The resistor does get warm however. Am I doing something wrong here or simply have the wrong type of resistor? At this point I am almost ready to just purchase a resistor kit from a sponsor to skip this headache. If there is an easy/cheap workaround to this I would be glad to hear about it. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resistor.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	278359  
destroyer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
deadlysyns

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer427 View Post
I installed some amber 1157 LEDs (88 mA draw at 12v) for front turn signals from superbrightleds and am having an issue with getting my radioshack resistor to work with the bulb so that it prevents the bulb out warning/flashes at normal rate. The resistor is a wirewound 50 ohm 10% 10 watt, it is connected to both turn signal wires via a wire tap and plugged into with a male crimp connector. I've also stripped the wire at the wire tap contact point to ensure that all points of connection are bare metal to metal. See attached pic

With all of this hooked up I still get a bulb out warning and the bulb blinks at the very fast rate. The resistor does get warm however. Am I doing something wrong here or simply have the wrong type of resistor? At this point I am almost ready to just purchase a resistor kit from a sponsor to skip this headache. If there is an easy/cheap workaround to this I would be glad to hear about it. Thanks
I think you need to get a load resistor.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthrea...=load+resistor
deadlysyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
destroyer427

Bump
Old 07-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
Try post #2 first and let us know. Make sure you didn't reverse the polarity.

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
jason 77

My Ride: 2001 330xi 5speed
Maybe try a higher resistance? What formula did you use to come up with the 50 ohms?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
1. 50 ohms is too high - go lower. I would guess about 10 ohms would be fine. If you already have 50 ohm resistors, you can do two or 3 or 4 in series on each side to figure out how "high" you can go while fooling the computer. Whatever resistors you use, make sure you watch the wattage. Lower resistance = higher wattage: at 10ohms, you need more than 20 watts. Lower you go in ohms, resistor gets hotter, so you also have to watch where you mount it; it could melt plastic. You might need to go from wirewound to aluminum resistors.

2. Picture of how the resistor is installed scares me. T-taps are not very reliable. Exposed metal is not good. Once you get another resistor, solder some wires to it and properly insulate with tape.

3. resistors have no polarity, so it can't be backwards
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
destroyer427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
1. 50 ohms is too high - go lower. I would guess about 10 ohms would be fine. If you already have 50 ohm resistors, you can do two or 3 or 4 in series on each side to figure out how "high" you can go while fooling the computer. Whatever resistors you use, make sure you watch the wattage. Lower resistance = higher wattage: at 10ohms, you need more than 20 watts. Lower you go in ohms, resistor gets hotter, so you also have to watch where you mount it; it could melt plastic. You might need to go from wirewound to aluminum resistors.

2. Picture of how the resistor is installed scares me. T-taps are not very reliable. Exposed metal is not good. Once you get another resistor, solder some wires to it and properly insulate with tape.

3. resistors have no polarity, so it can't be backwards
The 10 ohms work perfectly, thank you! I picked up some aluminum dale power resistor 10 ohm 30 watt 1% that look similar to the following

Connected everything with crimping wire connectors and fully insulated tightly with electrical tape and mounted so that its nowhere near plastic/flammables. No more warning out lights and blinking is normal.

Started tearing apart the license plate lights but looked much more involved. May decide to tackle it later or just install whiter incandescents.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
ca1242

Glad you worked it out. License plate lights come out easy. Just need to push one end to the side and slide out. Might even be in the car's manual.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
destroyer427

I've already got LEDs for the license plate lights, installing the resistors for those look to be trickier however
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
ca1242

NO they are pretty easy. You have two options, you can remove the lid carpet liner and get easy access to the wires, or you can intercept the wire harness after the wires come into the car through the rubber boot.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
bourmb

My Ride: 2004 Toyota Tundra
Where is everyone installing their load resistors? Don't they need to be secured to the metal body to eliminate the potential of high heat effecting the wiring or plastic if they were zip-tied to something?
bourmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
ca1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourmb View Post
Where is everyone installing their load resistors? Don't they need to be secured to the metal body to eliminate the potential of high heat effecting the wiring or plastic if they were zip-tied to something?
Preferably, screw them to metal. 2nd best option is to zip tie them to metal.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
dres79

My Ride: 04 M3
Send a message via AIM to dres79
ok here is a stupid question but ... what if i dont use a resistor? my lights go out about a minute after i tur nthe lights off. any damage if i do not use a resistor??

TIA
Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
ca1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by dres79 View Post
ok here is a stupid question but ... what if i dont use a resistor? my lights go out about a minute after i tur nthe lights off. any damage if i do not use a resistor??

TIA
No resistor = light out error on the dash. It it doesn't bother you, you don't need the resistor.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
dres79

My Ride: 04 M3
Send a message via AIM to dres79
[QUOTE=ca1242;9065278]No resistor = light out error on the dash.QUOTE]
thanks,

i dont even get that. so all good NICE! .. on to next mod
Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
SubZeroE46

My Ride: E46 320i
I'm not sure if you need resistors for the license plate lights. Mine blew and I didn't realize it until someone told me about it, no warning lights on the dash. Maybe can check by removing the bulb and see if the dash light comes on.
SubZeroE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #17
SubZeroE46

My Ride: E46 320i
hmm... been reading some posts on the lighting thread and it seems like most people have warning lights for license plate lights being out. Maybe it's my car, will check.
SubZeroE46 is offline   Reply With Quote