E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
My favorite childhood grocery store is progressing further into the south

Quote:

In a press release posted on their website, grocery store to the stars Wegmans announced that they have plans to "build two stores in the suburbs of Richmond, Virginia"-one in Midlothian and one in Short Pump.

Over the years, we have had countless requests to open a Wegmans store in the Richmond area, so we are delighted to finally announce that we're headed there," says Ralph Uttaro, Wegmans senior vice president of real estate. "We look forward to the day when we can welcome customers to our stores and deliver on our promise of incredible customer service, the best ingredients, restaurant-quality prepared foods, and consistent low prices.

The Midlothian store will anchor the yet-to-be-developed Stonehenge Village Shopping Center. The Short Pump store will be located in the West Broad Marketplace near Gayton Road.

The full release follows.

Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. confirmed that the family-owned supermarket chain plans to build two stores in the suburbs of Richmond, Virginia. The stores will be similar in size and design to Wegmans' current Virginia stores, which range in size from 120,000 to 140,000 sq. ft.

"Over the years, we have had countless requests to open a Wegmans store in the Richmond area, so we are delighted to finally announce that we're headed there," says Ralph Uttaro, Wegmans senior vice president of real estate. "We look forward to the day when we can welcome customers to our stores and deliver on our promise of incredible customer service, the best ingredients, restaurant-quality prepared foods, and consistent low prices."

Midlothian, VA (Chesterfield County)

Wegmans will anchor the planned Stonehenge Village Shopping Center, which will also include additional retail space. This site is located on Midlothian Turnpike, just east of Farnham Drive, and is 0.8 miles west of the Chesterfield Town Center Mall and approximately 10 miles southwest of downtown Richmond. Marchetti Properties is the developer for this project.

Midlothian is about 55 miles south of Wegmans' Fredericksburg, VA store and 60 miles southeast of Charlottesville, VA, where Wegmans will open a future store.

Short Pump, VA (Henrico County)

NV Retail will seek approval to build a food market in West Broad Marketplace, a large retail development on West Broad Street near North Gayton Road that will be anchored by Wegmans and Cabela's. The site is located 0.6 miles west of the Short Pump Mall and approximately 13 miles northwest of downtown Richmond.

Short Pump is about 45 miles south of Fredericksburg, VA store and 55 miles southeast of Charlottesville, VA.

Each of Wegmans' Richmond-area stores is expected to employ 550 to 600 people in full- and part-time positions. Wegmans has been on FORTUNE magazine's list of the '100 Best Companies to Work For' for seventeen consecutive years, ranking #12 in 2014.

According to Wegmans officials, a construction timeline and projected opening date for each store won't be determined until all necessary approvals are in place. The two sites are approximately 11 miles apart.

Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is an 83-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts. Wegmans currently operates six stores in Virginia and will open a store in Charlottesville in the future. The family-owned company, founded in 1916, is recognized as an industry leader and innovator.
http://rvanews.com/features/wegmans-...nd-area/111913
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 04-25-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1398465099
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Wow cool I'll stick to Costco and Trader Joes.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I love that there's a town named "Short Pump" somewhere in the world.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
If you only knew what you were missing. Sorry man.
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Do you think a guy from Short Pump ever gets laid if he divulges too early in the conversation where he's from?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
slo scraper

My Ride: E46, Repsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
If you only knew what you were missing. Sorry man.
this times a million, i ****ing love wegmans, best thing ever, FOREVER

i miss it so much, but it does excite me that there continuing to expand, maybe they'll make it out this way some day
Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Wegmans
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Trader Joes is sh!t. When comparing to Wegmans, it's like comparing a rolls royce to a sewer pipe.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Trader Joes is sh!t. When comparing to Wegmans, it's like comparing a rolls royce to a sewer pipe.
Bad comparison. They have no resemblance.

Like comparing vacationing in the Caribbean versus vacationing at your in-laws in the dead of winter in Canada.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Bad comparison. They have no resemblance.

Like comparing vacationing in the Caribbean versus vacationing at your in-laws in the dead of winter in Canada.
I know a bunch of people that only food shop at trader joes. All it is....boxed sh!t (some of it can be ok) but their meat is laughable, produce is terrible (selection is comical), and the entire hipster vibe just makes me want to throat punch everyone in the store. At least whole foods is a hipster store that makes you want to shop.

Costco I don't compare to supermarkets...different ballgame (but awesome.)
Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Do you think a guy from Short Pump ever gets laid if he divulges too early in the conversation where he's from?
I... live in Short Pump...

I don't know anything about Wegmans though, I've always gotten groceries at Walmart and Food Lion.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
I... live in Short Pump...

I don't know anything about Wegmans though, I've always gotten groceries at Walmart and Food Lion.
Prepare to have a grocery shopping experience like never before.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Prepare to have a grocery shopping experience like never before.
I hear that it's a lot like Ukrops before they got bought out, and that Ukrops was the only thing keeping Wegmans from opening in Richmond.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
I hear that it's a lot like Ukrops before they got bought out, and that Ukrops was the only thing keeping Wegmans from opening in Richmond.
Never been to a Ukrops, but the grocery selection, friendliness of staff, layout of store, decor, and cafe are top of the list, bar none. The interior is set up to look market style.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 04-26-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Ukrops has a long history in the Richmond area. I haven't seen a family own business in the DMV area that ranked up to them. The customer service was the best. I remember going to one of their stores with a brace on my wrist. I had picked up 2 small items for lunch which I carried to the register. After paying the bagger insisted on carrying it to the car for me. Back then if you went into a Ukrops, they would refuse selling anything that had an expired date.

People in this area who were frequent Ukrops shopper will be looking for that quality in Wegmans. I know I will be. I hate going to Martins. They have too many store brands stuff like Giants, and not enough name brand. idk eventhough Ukrops is gone, I still remember where they were all located and knew which ones had the deli/dinners. If I needed a special item or thought it would be great to have an item in stock, Ukrops would do it. We will see if Wegmans will do that.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #16
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Some of your cherished childhood memories are of a grocery store? I'm inclined to feel sorry for your lacking childhood experiences. Much pity. Many feels.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Some of your cherished childhood memories are of a grocery store? I'm inclined to feel sorry for your lacking childhood experiences. Much pity. Many feels.
Growing up in Syracuse I was accustomed to Wegmans. When I moved down south, I realized how much I was missing. I grocery shop every week, so yes it is a memory every time I reach for that bag of apples and remember the good ol' days of grocery shopping. What can I say, I like to cook and eat good food.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
Publix is as-good.

Congratulations.
GDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Growing up in Syracuse I was accustomed to Wegmans. When I moved down south, I realized how much I was missing. I grocery shop every week, so yes it is a memory every time I reach for that bag of apples and remember the good ol' days of grocery shopping. What can I say, I like to cook and eat good food.
Im with you man...I have many amazing memories from places most people take for granted, and supermarkets are one of them.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
I love to cook and eat well myself. Probably because my mother was a horrible cook. Believe me, I genuinely appreciate a quality grocer and regular farmer's markets. I was just busy being a kid when I was a kid.

I grew up in the south. Dallas, TX to be exact. And, just like today, there were a variety of grocery options. Some were premium... others less so. In my youth I judged all grocery stores by the volume and contents of the gumball machines by the exit.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote