E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #61
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Are you not in school for graphic design any more?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #62
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Are you not in school for graphic design any more?
Glad you remember that far back, but no, I couldn't take it. I knew everything I needed to know about photoshop before I started school for it, ended up taking out loans and spending about $30k just to take some drawing and painting classes, along with other generals that I covered all the way back in high school. For now I'm just wingin' it. My christmas present from my parents this past year was actually my final $2k in loan debt paid off, so I don't want to go down that road again unless I'm ready to die doing what I'm going to school for.

I was thinking about starting my own 'business' of buying and selling cars with a friend of mine. He started building a shop with the intention of saving/parting e30s and reselling all the gems, but has since taken a break from that since he had a kid, and I was thinking how useful that could really be with a dealer license and someone competent at the wheel.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #63
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Good to see you got rid of the debt so quick man, that's not easy.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #64
hi its me alec

Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Good to see you got rid of the debt so quick man, that's not easy.
Word. I'm so grateful that my parents are awesome and encouraged me to stick around (with my car in the garage) for as long as I wanted. Plus everything before and since that.

I am thinking about going back to school for a 2 year degree in welding/fabrication, which is what I should have probably done instead of attempting college for graphic design.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 03-13-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #65
MrGL2

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
I am finding myself in a similar situation as your are Alec.

Either go to college in engineering or start a shop with a longtime friend of mine.

One thing though is that you seem to be passioned about your job from what I've read. Somebody will notice your devotion in the near future and it will pay for sure.
MrGL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #66
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Well it's nice to see such an old thread revived with so many amazing gorgeous cars in here! keep the pics coming Alec and just do what makes you happy, so many people in this world work their asses off, never see family because of it, hate their jobs are overworked to the point where it affects their mental state just to make a few more bucks.. enjoying your job and being comfortable is where it's at.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #67
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Hey, I'm near you... You guys looking for help?
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #68
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Hey, I'm near you... You guys looking for help?
...me too. I have a full time job so I would only be a weekend or special evening run guy.

srs.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #69
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
...me too. I have a full time job so I would only be a weekend or special evening run guy.

srs.
I was first, pick me! pick me!

also srs.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #70
hi its me alec

Well, look what showed up today!! 34,000 mile 840ci.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #71
trizzuth

How the F and why on earth do you get all of these incredible cars coming into a Nissan Dealership?? This amazes me. That 840 is PRISTINE!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #72
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Nice!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #73
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I have the say the best part about being a detailer is the amazing cars you get to drive. I've driven a Porsche GT3-RS, ZR1s, Cammed Z06's,(and other C6's) supercharged C5 vette, countless modded and unmodded CTS-V's, new M3, Camaro ZL1's (one that is now owned by someone famous in nascar) Couple Ferrari's, GTR (wow) Shelby mustangs, New 5.0's. I could start writing reviews. I don't post pics because I could lose my job.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #74
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
That's a good question, right now it's all up in the air. I have my foot in the door at this dealership, which is a great place to be, and to be honest I love every single thing about the job except for the pay. I make decent money for someone my age (23 with no college degree) and I come home happy every day.

I'm thinking about moving into the sales department, and although I think I would do well there, my skills are being used best with what I'm doing. I drove that $200k Bentley around before we sold it, noticed a bent wheel right away, got the wheel spin balanced and back on the car in a day, it sold 2 days later and there were no issues whatsoever. I was the one who took care of the battery in that car for a few months, also. I'm also the one who deals with GTR tire issues because we don't have the equipment in house to fill them with Nitrogen. So I either get to put the GTR on jack stands for a week and bring the tires alone, or I get to drive the car to wherever can handle it. Obviously I'll drive the whole car during the summer and take the tires alone when it's cold and icy. The point of these examples is that I'm the person who really has to do what's best for the quality of the cars at all times. That's what I'm passionate about in my free time, that's what I want to be good at later in life, and seeing the results of the work I'm doing makes me want to cry sometimes. Reconditioning is so fun if you care about it and have all the facilities to do what you need to do.

Today I got to pick up and drive an e93 M3 about 20 miles. When I got back to the dealer, my coworker and I gave it a quick exterior/engine wash + interior + sticky mats + exhaust tips to get it ready for the front row. After that, I brought a VW GTI 1.8t 5speed over to our tire shop and swapped it for the Lotus Elise in the previous pictures. Took that on a 15 mile drive to make sure it was all good, went on a final quick drive with my boss (who bought the car) once I got back to the dealership, and drove it straight into the wash bay to get it ready. After that I did some paperwork and ate my spicy BBQ beef brisket for lunch, and finished out the day finding parts for a few cars, doing a full detail on a 2013 G37 IPL, and programmed a couple dozen keys into our key machine.

I really don't see my life getting any better if I handed my job off to some other schmuck and relied on him to recondition the cars that I'm trying to sell. If I were getting 20% more pay or some good bonuses, I wouldn't dream of switching jobs
Keep doing what you love. I'm very jealous of those who have found a job that they find enjoyable and that they don't really consider "work" because they love it. You're better off doing something like that with a slight hit to your pay than working in a job for more money and you're not happy at the end of the day.

I dislike my job as an IT consultant but I make very good money. If I didn't have a wife, kids, and a hefty mortgage, I'd gladly take a significant pay cut to do something I like. Unfortunately I don't know what my dream job is, so until I do, I might as well make decent money and support my family as best I can. Hopefully some day I'll find a job that doesn't seem like work.

The most successful people I know enjoy their jobs and don't think they will ever retire bc they just love what they do.

As I recall, you're talented with photography..maybe start a little something on the side to bolster your income...keep that dream job though!

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #75
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
How the F and why on earth do you get all of these incredible cars coming into a Nissan Dealership?? This amazes me. That 840 is PRISTINE!

Well, there are a few reasons for that..

- It's in a really nice area of the western suburbs of Minneapolis. Search Wayzata/Plymouth/Minnetonka if you want to know about the area, it's completely sick.

- We're right between BMW and Lexus, plus there's a Chevrolet and Maserati/Bentley that both keep really busy during the summer. We have more of the specialty used cars (like the Jag, Lotus, Individual F10 750, Alpina B7, 6 sp/RWD 2008 Lexus IS250, 36k mile e36 M3 convert, etc.) It's a profound niche in the market here.

- The owners and buyers all like sports cars. We even send mail out to small dealers all over MN saying "SELL US ALL YOUR SPORTS CARS IN NOVEMBER PLEASE!"

Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #76
djmangee816

My Ride: ///m
nice mang

djmangee816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #77
hi its me alec

Figured I would add these randoms in here from last summer.

after buffing my friend's F430

transporting some furniture

And then a couple from today..

840 looks WAY better than GTR Black Edition

And my latest GTR project, a 2009 with 47k miles. The tech finished oil change and inspection in his bay, then I had to put it on stands in one of my stalls. I took the wheels off to refinish them gunmetal, get new tires, and wait for the pads and rotors to show up on Monday. Like I've said before, I love having the opportunity to turn this type of car around, everything falls into place so well and it feels so good to do a good job when you know it's your work that's probably going to save the car from a life of being subpar and neglected

Last edited by hi its me alec; 03-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #78
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Figured I would add these randoms in here from last summer.

after buffing my friend's F430

transporting some furniture

And then a couple from today..

840 looks WAY better than GTR Black Edition

And my latest GTR project, a 2009 with 47k miles. The tech finished oil change and inspection in his bay, then I had to put it on stands in one of my stalls. I took the wheels off to refinish them gunmetal, get new tires, and wait for the pads and rotors to show up on Monday. Like I've said before, I love having the opportunity to turn this type of car around, everything falls into place so well and it feels so good to do a good job when you know it's your work that's probably going to save the car from a life of being subpar and neglected
Still not a fan of the GTR. For $100K i'd rather have the Porsche. Yea, yea i know it's faster than a Porsche but where are you really going to use that top speed?

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #79
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
Still not a fan of the GTR. For $100K i'd rather have the Porsche. Yea, yea i know it's faster than a Porsche but where are you really going to use that top speed?
Well, most people aren't thinking about top speed when they buy a car in the US. If you drive one, you'll understand why they're worth the money.

I would take a 993 Turbo over a brand new GTR all day

Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #80
trizzuth

damn so clean. What's with that little strange dip in the 840's tail lights right where the bottom edge of the trunk is? I've never noticed that before, looks really odd to me now...