E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
dippin330

My Ride: 330ci
Autozone B.S., in california?

Check engine light came on so I went to Autozone in Millbrae, and the two sales reps told me that they do not run diagnostics because it is illegal in the state of California ever sice last week. Is this true?
dippin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippin330 View Post
Check engine light came on so I went to Autozone in Millbrae, and the two sales reps told me that they do not run diagnostics because it is illegal in the state of California ever sice last week. Is this true?
I hope so for my selfish sake LOL!!! I think the issue is what they were using the codes to do and the emission laws you have out there

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
I noticed another thread mentioning that their local stores were no longer offering the reset. I don't remember what state that was, though.

Be sure to understand the difference between what Autozone does for free (OBDII) and BMW specific - like our Peake Research scan tools.

Click the 'Everything you ever wanted to know about Peake tools' article in my sig for details.

ken@bimmertools.com if you have any questions.

Good luck,

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
I hope so for my selfish sake LOL!!!
Amen, brother.

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
tbehling

My Ride: 2002 Audi A4
it would be illegal for them to "clear" the codes. I dont think there is any legality issues with scanning for codes.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
dippin330

Thanks ken Ill look into that.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
dippin330

Yea I asked them to scan for codes; not clear anything out.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
e46stallion

My Ride: fwd
Send a message via AIM to e46stallion
yup this is true
Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
my friend works at a kragen right now, and he told me that thats how all the car parts stores are.

supposedly people would get their obdII codes scanned/cleared and when there were still problems with their cars, they would blame it on autozone/kragen/etc for "doing something to the car"
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
NorCal Einstein

My Ride: E92 335i
Send a message via AIM to NorCal Einstein Send a message via Yahoo to NorCal Einstein
What one guy told me was that Autozone employees are by law prohibited from taking their OBDII scanner, walking out to your car, scanning the codes and then clearing it.

He told me that I have to be the one to do it, and I can't just take the took, go outside, do my business and bring it back. I have to lay the deposit down (make a transaction), then I can take the took outside, do my business, and then return it for my deposit back.

He said the employees can't actually scan your codes, at least in California because they arent mechanics...

Current:
2009 E92 335i Alpine White/Coral Red

Past:
2007 E92 335i Sparkling Graphite/Black
2000 E46 323i Steel Blue/Grey

NorCal Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:06 AM   #11
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Einstein View Post
What one guy told me was that Autozone employees are by law prohibited from taking their OBDII scanner, walking out to your car, scanning the codes and then clearing it.

He told me that I have to be the one to do it, and I can't just take the took, go outside, do my business and bring it back. I have to lay the deposit down (make a transaction), then I can take the took outside, do my business, and then return it for my deposit back.

He said the employees can't actually scan your codes, at least in California because they arent mechanics...
werd, they've actually been doing this as long as I remember. Every place I've been to just needs your credit card that they put in the box the OBDII scanner was until you bring it back.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #12
EDawg

My Ride: :/
yeah, just pay a deposit to borrow the scanner, scan the ecu yourself and return the scanner for a full refund of the scanner.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:10 AM   #13
NorCal Einstein

Send a message via AIM to NorCal Einstein Send a message via Yahoo to NorCal Einstein
Every time I've "loaned" the scanner, they charge me some amount, $170 or so...cant remember.

And then when I return it, they put the order in to credit my account back.

Current:

Past:

Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #14
JL328i

My Ride: BSM 03 325i 5MT ZSP
i got my cam sensor replaced. went back to the place. told them they didnt clear the code FOR THE CAM. Fukers cleared every code i had!!!
is this the kind of law suit were talking about?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
NorCal Einstein

If it makes you feel any better, the fault codes for your camshaft position sensor are still logged in your car and can be pulled up with GT1 or Autologic.

Current:

Past:

Old 07-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Titanium3Series

My Ride: 03 325,97Max,02Gsxr
i work at an autozone and they tell us not to clear the codes on a car, i do it though, just as long as they seem cool and wont come back in mentioning it to people.

Dont ask them to inside, ask them to scan the car and when they have the codes ask them if they can reset it. if they say they are ot allowed to do it, ask them if you can hit the button yourself....it is just one button that says "erase" and thne you hit enter.....

l 2003 BMW 325i l 1997 Nissan Maxima l 2002 GSXR Telefonica l
Titanium3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
prznskillz

My Ride: 2001 JetBlack 330ci
Send a message via AIM to prznskillz
i tried to get them to scan a ses light for me months ago and they wouldnt do it...in california they dont do it for free...they lend u the tool and charge u a 150 deposit and refund u once u return the tool
prznskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
So when's Cali due to sink into the Pacific?

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
I used to get my codes scanned at Checker's. They no longer do it. One store said it was because someone sued them. The other store said that we have to do it ourselves, then when we went down they said it was broken.

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #20
Fooljam

My Ride: 5
Come on guys get your own scanner from eBay.
Even the GT1, brand new, costs 4000 USD from eBay.
For course for the guys like us. 4k is a lot, but for 150 USD you can get a pretty good tool that not only read and reset errors, but also allows you to enable/disable OEM settings of your car.

My 2 cents
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote