E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

View Poll Results: What do you think of M3/ZHP fogs?
Projector fog assemblies are better 27 31.03%
Halogen fog assemblies are better 24 27.59%
Projector fogs are better, but not worth the cost 10 11.49%
Have an M3/ZHP bumper, but don't care 15 17.24%
Don't have an M3/ZHP bumper, and don't care 11 12.64%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
Projector/Halogen Fog Light Poll

I'm just curious as to what people think of the projector fog assemblies versus the halogen fog assemblies for the M3/ZHP bumpers. Please vote, and if you have any additional comments, please post them.

Projector:

Halogen:

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
KriTiKaL AspecT

My Ride: 2001 AW 330Ci
I really don't think it matters as far as if your worrying about your hid fogs blinding people. They won't. But if you just need to spend some money, get projectors for a more professional look i guess.
(I didn't see this response on the poll)

Headers - KW V2 - Hotchkis Sways - 55w 6000k HID - 35w 6000k HID fogs
EVO 3 SSK mit ein DSSR - EE Tails - Meyle LCA, FCAB, & RTAB w/ Rogue Limiters - M3 Mounts ....

-Paul   BSME           
ASME & SAE Member

KriTiKaL AspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Nemesis330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci & X5 3.0D

My setup, waiting for my HID kit to mount it.

Official Vredestein Press image showing propper tire mounting.
Nemesis330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
projectors won't blind people, but they suck. go with halogens and just point them down more

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Nemesis330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
projectors won't blind people, but they suck. go with halogens and just point them down more
How do they suck?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriTiKaL AspecT View Post
I really don't think it matters as far as if your worrying about your hid fogs blinding people. They won't. But if you just need to spend some money, get projectors for a more professional look i guess.
(I didn't see this response on the poll)
HID fogs not in projectors will blind oncoming drivers. there is no cut-off pattern.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
UK_JC

My Ride: 330i Sport
any supplier you can point me at for projector fogs?

Quaife LSD ATB Diff : 19" CSL Reps : Black Kidney Grills : M3 Front Bumper : Xenoflo HID kit 6k
Cross Drilled Discs with Ultimate Pads : Smoked Front And Sides : Cosmos CAI kit : Xenon Interior Bulbs
TMS Adjustable Rear Camber Arms : M Style Weighted Short Shift Knob : Shadow 330i Emblems
M3 Autofold Mirrors : CNL remap : Emirror Module : OEM Bluetooth retrofitted
UK_JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis330Ci View Post
How do they suck?
they aren't made for HID applications. you lose some light output with them. just those specific ones suck. but they do provide a cutoff.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
projector fogs by themselves i don't think look as clean or flush. they are generic "eyes" surrounded by differing plastic housings for different cars. the glass "eye" does not sit flush or aerodynamic. that is why i installed the projector inside an M3 style foglight. if you have a HID system, projectors are so much better for a driving light.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
ya they deffinetly suck, i had them sold them and got OEM fogs with HIDS, trust me they suck, the output is bad, use OEM fogs or aftermarket ohh, and if you want the projectors the ebay ones are the same exact things, i got mine from bavauot and spend 100 when ebay has the same things for 50. Dont get projectors.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
dmon_101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
projector fogs by themselves i don't think look as clean or flush. they are generic "eyes" surrounded by differing plastic housings for different cars. the glass "eye" does not sit flush or aerodynamic. that is why i installed the projector inside an M3 style foglight. if you have a HID system, projectors are so much better for a driving light.
Do you have pics of that setup?

Btw, just for the record, I have halogen bulbs in the projector assemblies, the light output is fine (I do a lot of backroads driving), I'm talking mostly about looks.

There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
sillieidiot

yea i did the same, i retro'ed them into my foglight housing. but even then, they don't do the job as well. fogs are supposed to be pointing to the sides and a little towards the middle (sort of making a W shape where the 2 V's are the light pointing to the sides). but the projector fogs takes all that away and and disperses the light evenly across. it loses intensity where it's most needed, the sides. hence why they are useless. on trucks or something like that, i would understand the use of projector fogs. or even if you retrofit better projector fogs where the light is more intense than that will be better

now if it's just purely for aethetics, i'd just go with the projector fogs to keep from blinding people.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
dmon_101

Quote:
yea i did the same, i retro'ed them into my foglight housing. but even then, they don't do the job as well. fogs are supposed to be pointing to the sides and a little towards the middle (sort of making a W shape where the 2 V's are the light pointing to the sides). but the projector fogs takes all that away and and disperses the light evenly across. it loses intensity where it's most needed, the sides. hence why they are useless. on trucks or something like that, i would understand the use of projector fogs. or even if you retrofit better projector fogs where the light is more intense than that will be better

now if it's just purely for aethetics, i'd just go with the projector fogs to keep from blinding people.
I haven't really noticed that as much. I have the ones from Bavauto, and the side output isn't that bad. Many raccoons and a deer would have lost their life if it wasn't for the fogs.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #14
Poon Stick

My Ride: ///M 330xi Sedan
I hear a lot of speak about the HID fogs. Is there an actual setup, or are you guys just buying the HID bulbs and plugging them in?

Aren't there concerns of the bulbs melting the housing / wiring not being adequate?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
Nemesis330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon Stick View Post
I hear a lot of speak about the HID fogs. Is there an actual setup, or are you guys just buying the HID bulbs and plugging them in?

Aren't there concerns of the bulbs melting the housing / wiring not being adequate?
-HID bulbs emit less heat
-no wiring from the projectors is used, you just hook it up to the car and voila.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #16
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon_101 View Post
I haven't really noticed that as much. I have the ones from Bavauto, and the side output isn't that bad. Many raccoons and a deer would have lost their life if it wasn't for the fogs.
yea it's not that bad when the weather is clear, but in the fogs (which is why they are called foglights), they don't work like they are supposed to

Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis330Ci View Post
-HID bulbs emit less heat @ 35w
-no wiring from the projectors is used, you just hook it up to the car and voila.
fixed

Old 07-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
Nemesis330Ci

Quote:
fixed

Old 07-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #19
dmon_101

Quote:
yea it's not that bad when the weather is clear, but in the fogs (which is why they are called foglights), they don't work like they are supposed to
really? i've used them both with and without fog, and they were fine.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #20
sillieidiot

i think it might just be different for you lol. because you went from halogen fogs straight to HID projector fogs. so you can't compare the difference. it's like people who go from halogens to 8000K HIDs. they look brighter but in reality you're getting less light than your halogens.

if you were to compare HID fogs in regular halogen housing vs. HID fogs in projector housings, you will notice the difference instantly.