E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
drealbmw

My Ride: 2005 325i e46
How do I replace my H7 halogen headlight bulb?

This is my question from yesterday. After working about 4 hours on the problem, you could guess that I got pretty fed up.

So I decided to leave it overnight. The morning light helped me solve the problem. So I decided to share the wealth. Here's what I did for my 2005 325i.

The trick is to look closely at the parts before you remove the headlight bulb. You don't want to turn the entire socket assembly -- just the black locking ring. It has a top and bottom tab that fits into the headlight assembly. Grab the square ring tab, which appears at the top right in the picture below, and twist it a short 1/8 turn counterclockwise (like you were sitting on top of the engine, facing forward). In the picture below, 0 is unlocked; 1 is locked. It will take a little effort to turn it to the unlocked position, but not that much.

Now, just pull the old H7 halogen bulb straight out and push the new one in, trying not to touch the new bulb directly with your oily fingers. I used toilet paper to handle the bulb. This step is a no-brainer, as you can see in the photo below.

Now, the fun part begins. There is a small, narrow slot in the clear, yellowish headlight assembly. You can see it at the bottom of the picture below, slightly to the right of center. (My macro camera setting is great, right? Even though it makes the part look huge.)

This yellow slot accepts the tab of the black locking ring. Barely. You really have to work at it to seat the socket assembly correctly.

You can see the block-looking black tab on the inside of the arm in the picture below.

Now, make sure the tab is in the unlocked, or "0" position. Then line up the 2 tabs, which are on opposite sides of the socket assembly ring, with the 2 slots. You won't be able to see them because your hand is in the way, so just give it your best guess. Then push the socket containing the bulb into the headlight assembly. Using trial and error, you will eventually be able to feel when the socket is seated correctly.

Then, I use my thumb on one tab and the middle finger on the other tab to line up the tabs and twist. If I guess wrong, I give a quick glance to the front of the car where the headlight is, and make sure that the bulb looks like it is seated correctly, and wiggle the part a little.

Then, just give it another go.

The only other bit of advice deals with the driver side headlights. It is a REALLY TIGHT SPACE. So, give yourself some more room and take off the cover of the square air filter housing. First, release the 2 clips for the hose containing the air flow sensor. Then release the 5 clips holding the air filter housing cover to its base. That should give you enough room to take a stab at the headlight assembly.

I know this is a long post on a small topic, but there are fewer and fewer things on my car that I can actually work on. I was determined that I was going to replace my headlights myself, no matter what! (Next time, I'll probably get the mechanic to do it.)

Good luck!
drealbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Yep, you got it right. Nice simple write-up that might be useful to those who haven't yet had to change a bulb.

Can be fiddly and take a little time, the key is to use patience, not force.

Daylight definitely helps (although most will end up doing it at night, cos you won't turn your headlights on to notice a blown bulb during the day).

DIY again next time, you've nothing to fear and it gets easier with practice.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Lol wow, I was suprised not to find another diy on this subject although it is pretty much straight forward, nice write-up though.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Way to point out the obvious
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Poon Stick

My Ride: ///M 330xi Sedan
Haha! Not so obvious, my friend

This post is basically an answer to my question. I couldn't seem to get the light out, I'm guessing because I wasn't using the square tab. I was just twisting it where the wires connect to the assembly. (The easiest part to reach without removing the air box.)

Thanks again drealbmw!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
drealbmw

If there is any way to mess things up, I WILL! (Or I will forget how to do it.)

So the next time I have this problem, I'll have this as a resource.

Now, if somebody could just help me upgrade my lame BMW stereo...
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
seemed like a piece of cake to me, whats the problem?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Poon Stick

My Ride: ///M 330xi Sedan
So I came home and tried it... works like a charm if you only turn the square tabs!

Anyway the H7 lights I bought don't fit because they have an elbow (like they would fit directly to the wiring) but the bulb with prongs won't come out and thus won't fit into the assembly.

Would anyone like some unused, but opened H7 bulbs?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
sure you didnt buy h11?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
enelson325

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan99 View Post
Way to point out the obvious
haha
enelson325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
venzon

My Ride: 04 zhp 6MT, 00 540ia
Nice write up OP! This will definitely come in handy for someone in the future. I wish you posted this two weeks ago. Took me an hour before I figured out how to remove the bulb.
venzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
colnago1331

My Ride: needs to be dropped
Quote:
Originally Posted by venzon View Post
Nice write up OP! This will definitely come in handy for someone in the future. I wish you posted this two weeks ago. Took me an hour before I figured out how to remove the bulb.
Same here.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
rishisen

My Ride: 316
good stuff, i found it real tricky at night, should help people
rishisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
im about to change out mine soon. if i run into any problems, i'll read this thread. lol
Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
xNOxFear

My Ride: 99 323i
Just wanted to say thanks, changed the bulb last night and after reading this it was a breeze.
xNOxFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #16
HELLAS NC

My Ride: 03 320Diesel Tractor
Now that 4th pic was just a show-off for you camera... (and camera skills...)
Nice write-up!

I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.
HELLAS NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #17
C4RLOS

My Ride: 2003 325Ci

FOR SALE: pre-facelift sideskirts and front and rear bumpers | 19" hyperblack VMR V715 wheels (in sig)

C4RLOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
+1+

+1 dude
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #19
tradingflare

My Ride: needs a mechanic
Thanks for the write up...things are NOT always so obvious, it's very much appreciated.

Little anecdote:

A buddy and I were trying to replace the headlight on his mom's 2000 VW bug. No manual or anything with us, we'd figure out it...we're guys, ya know? Well, after fiddling with the headlight assembly for 2 hours, an 8 year old neighborhood girl walked by and said, "Why don't you guys just pull the lights out toward you?"...that is, you actually pull the entire headlight assemblies directly off the car. She was right.
tradingflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #20
drealbmw

Glad to be a help to you guys, and the 1000s of other viewers!