E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
OEMguy

My Ride: 323i 99 4D E46
Watch out for eBay crap!!!

I spent $40 on an "OEM quality and fit" air cabin microfilter. A day after I installed it my service engine soon indicator came on, I was freaking out and went to Autozone to do a free diagnostic and code P1624 came on which is a "Pedal Position Sensor Potentiometer Supply Channel 1 Electrical" whatever the hell that is. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my car so I removed that ebay air cabin filter and the service engine soon indicator turned off. What a rip off! Waste of $40. On top of all that it didn't even fit right, when I removed the ebay airfilter the filter was all smashed.
- Scrolling LED license plate frame
- Chrome pipes
- Valentine One
- (2) 10" Subs + amp hooked up to stock radio
OEMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
You're kidding right?

A microfilter is not going to set off any sort of engine code. It has absolutely nothing to do with the engine code you threw. You had an electrical problem in your pedal system. The fact that it went off, is purely coincidental, and due to the fact that it was a one time occurrence.

1) You didn't even take the time to understand what the error code was, instead you just say "whatever that means".

2) Kinda funny your username is OEMguy, and you immediately make a completely unwarranted thread about "eBay crap" when it didn't have anything to do with your problem.

3) What kind of cabin filter are you buying for $40?

I smell fishyness.

Last edited by kpeng; 07-18-2008 at 05:02 PM.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
OEMguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
You're kidding right?

A microfilter is not going to set off any sort of engine code. It has absolutely nothing to do with the engine code you threw. You had an electrical problem in your drive-by-wire system. The fact that it went off, is purely coincidental, and due to the fact that it was a one time occurrence.

1) You didn't even take the time to understand what the error code was, instead you just say "whatever that means".

2) Kinda funny your username is OEMguy, and you immediately make a completely unwarranted thread about "eBay crap" when it didn't have anything to do with your problem.

3) What kind of cabin filter are you buying for $40?

I smell fishyness.

Reading reviews of the P1624 problem, it is related to a thermostat, I have no problems with my thermostat. I paid $30 for the filter and $10 for shipping. And when I say eBay crap the auction states quality FIT, I had to jam the cover on the air filter, the thing was so light, it felt like it was made from some cheap chinese crap, not genuine German quality.
- Chrome pipes
- Valentine One
Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

Ok, and your cabin filter doesn't relate to your thermostat either. Your point?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Betcha that code pops up again one day. When I was splicing wires for the SMG paddle shifters, the secondary air pump code came on same day. Obviously not related. A cabin air filter would never set off a code. Hell, you could take a dump in there and still have no code. I would not recommend that though....LOL
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Nemesis330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci & X5 3.0D
Wow, I think I payed less for my filter at the dealer.

Official Vredestein Press image showing propper tire mounting.
Nemesis330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
OEMguy

Quote:
You're kidding right?

A microfilter is not going to set off any sort of engine code. It has absolutely nothing to do with the engine code you threw. You had an electrical problem in your pedal system. The fact that it went off, is purely coincidental, and due to the fact that it was a one time occurrence.
Ok I'll tell you what, take out your microfilter, wait a couple of hours, drive around without your microfilter and tell me what happens. I highly disagree that the microfilter doesn't effect the engine code. I know you might be thinking "I have like 12,000 more posts than this guy what does he know?" You claim to be the destroyer of noobs, now take my advice, DESTROY YOURSELF!
- Chrome pipes
- Valentine One
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMguy View Post
Ok I'll tell you what, take out your microfilter, wait a couple of hours, drive around without your microfilter and tell me what happens. I highly disagree that the microfilter doesn't effect the engine code. I know you might be thinking "I have like 12,000 more posts than this guy what does he know?" You claim to be the destroyer of noobs, now take my advice, DESTROY YOURSELF!
That's like him saying the brand of oil you use doesn't matter, and then you say to remove all oil from the car, drive it around, and see what happens. I.......just don't even know where to start on that one.

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
OEMguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon_101 View Post
That's like him saying the brand of oil you use doesn't matter, and then you say to remove all oil from the car, drive it around, and see what happens. I.......just don't even know where to start on that one.
My point is he claims the microfilter has nothing to do with engine code. I asked this other guy with a 00 323i down the street to remove his microfilter for a couple of hours and drive around without his microfilter and the service engine soon light came on, hence my theory, microfilter is related to engine codes. Don't ask me why or how, I'm just basing off experiences.
- Chrome pipes
- Valentine One
Old 07-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMguy View Post
If you think that by removing my microfilter, it will throw a code, you're an idiot. I no longer feel the need to add any more input to this thread.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
carcus

Quote:
If you think that by removing my microfilter, it will throw a code, you're an idiot. I no longer feel the need to add any more input to this thread.
No problem kpeng, I am going to take my cigarette lighter out and drive around tomorrow and see if I throw a code....LOL, actually forgot, it was removed to plug in my Garmin NAV....I never threw a code. I could remove a engine beauty cover though and see if that throws a code.....LOL

OP, seriously, kpeng and myself are not messing with ya, there is nothing that monitors the microfilter. I would focus on the code you had and do research from there. You can blame it on something like a cabin air filter....and when something breaks on you later....you see what I mean.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
What kind of OEMguy pays $40 for a $20 filter? Wow....

Here you go.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...rtnumber=C3640

Now go away.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
Brian N

My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
LOL at this thread.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Give us the ebay link of the item. Are you confusing the cabin micro filter with the engine air filter?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Give us the ebay link of the item. Are you confusing the cabin micro filter with the engine air filter?
sounds like that is the mistake here.
if not, then OP cabin air filter throwing codes could only be from messing with wiring around the filter.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
Quote:
Yeah, that. Baby Jesus =>

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #17
carcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
sounds like that is the mistake here.
if not, then OP cabin air filter throwing codes could only be from messing with wiring around the filter.

Nope he states "Air Cabin Microfilter" Could be his - Scrolling LED license plate frame....LOL, setting off the code.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Nope he states "Air Cabin Microfilter" Could be his - Scrolling LED license plate frame....LOL, setting off the code.
lolol.

Must be the super JDM awesome bright LED scrolling action mega sweet license frame.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #20
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay, jet boosters