E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
I just got off the phone with my parts guy. He said there is a resistor for the fan that could go bad and cause this. 80 bucks for the part but, if the resistor is fine than I gotta spend 300 on a new fan. This sucks. Goodbye springs! Has anyone else fixed this problem?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #22
E36graduate

My Ride: //M3
At 180,000 miles, I'm on my third aux fan (fan that sits between radiator and engine). The warning signs are the fan stays on and eventually will crap out and you probably wont notice until the car overheats if you are sitting still in hot weather, with or without your a/c on. This fan can also affect your a/c. I am so sick of replacing this fan that I hot wired the fan to a toggle switch in my car and it has been working for about 6 months without problem. Just gotta make sure to turn it on and off on hot days or when I'm using the a/c. I just cant see dumping another $400 for a fan that seems to last about 2 years, tops.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #23
pkriek@telkomsa.ne

My Ride: 320d
Philip

In South Africa one can't buy the resistor unit that causes the problem with fan. One has to replace the complete fan unit. Had mine modified by installing a thermo switch in the return pipe from the radiator and running it through a relay. Also had the AC conected so that the fan comes on when AC is switched on. Much cheaper than fan unit and is working fine.
pkriek@telkomsa.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #24
verb

My Ride: e46
This happened to me too when I first got my car and was 1000 miles from home on a trip . I had no choice but to go to the stealer for a replacement fan...

Make sure you have it plugged in when you drive your car, otherwise your expansion tank will blow under load.... ask me how I know.

PS does anyone else notice this happening to only 323/328's? Did BMW fix this problem on later model 325/330's?
verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkriek@telkomsa.ne View Post
In South Africa one can't buy the resistor unit that causes the problem with fan. One has to replace the complete fan unit. Had mine modified by installing a thermo switch in the return pipe from the radiator and running it through a relay. Also had the AC conected so that the fan comes on when AC is switched on. Much cheaper than fan unit and is working fine.
Very interesting! You should post up a DIY on how you wired the switch + relay + AC connection. I bet many people would be appreciateive of this info as this problem is seeming to happen a lot now.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #26
botaman

My Ride: 330xi/5 530/5SC
I would replace the cooling sensor by the thermostat before throwing money in for a new fan.
botaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #27
willsbma

Just got back from the stealership. I grabbed a new FSR because my parts guy and a tech both said that could be the cause. I'm gonna go change it out now and see if the problem gets fixed. On a side note, my parts guy is pretty cool and said if that doesn't do the trick he will take back the FSR and use it as a credit towards the new fan. So maybe there is a little light at the end of the tunnel...I'll update in a little while

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #28
pkriek@telkomsa.ne

My Ride: 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Very interesting! You should post up a DIY on how you wired the switch + relay + AC connection. I bet many people would be appreciateive of this info as this problem is seeming to happen a lot now.
I had an auto electronics guy help me with the modification. Would speak to him first before I give wrong information. Can recommend you visit a auto electrician/electronics, sure it was actually quite simple. We cut out a part of the rubber hose and inserted a piece of steel pipe in which the the thermo switch is fitted. The rest is just wiring.
pkriek@telkomsa.ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #29
sean0507

My Ride: is where i hide my $
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
just got back from the stealership. I grabbed a new fsr because my parts guy and a tech both said that could be the cause. I'm gonna go change it out now and see if the problem gets fixed. On a side note, my parts guy is pretty cool and said if that doesn't do the trick he will take back the fsr and use it as a credit towards the new fan. So maybe there is a little light at the end of the tunnel...i'll update in a little while
update?????
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #30
mysticsoul

My Ride: '99 328i 5speed
so does mine

well looks like its def in the air, mine has the same problem too, couldnt even open the doors to my car, battery was completely drained, jump started, and figured out the aux fan is on full blast, its highest setting, i guess. So past 2 days what i do is, d/c the fan, by pullin out the plug everytime i get off the car, atleast that way there is enuff juice to start the car.

Took it to garage, somehow the guy is sure that he can buy just the regulator (thats what he calls the silver colored box behind the fan) changed. Im not too sure about that. Do i have to buy the whole fan itself???

IS FSR - fan relay switch? where is it located? and did it work for ya?? I hope its the switch rather shell out $30 instead of $260 on a fan....
mysticsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #31
impee

My Ride: BMW 2002 318i SE
Radiator Fan - stays on

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36graduate View Post
At 180,000 miles, I'm on my third aux fan (fan that sits between radiator and engine). The warning signs are the fan stays on and eventually will crap out and you probably wont notice until the car overheats if you are sitting still in hot weather, with or without your a/c on. This fan can also affect your a/c. I am so sick of replacing this fan that I hot wired the fan to a toggle switch in my car and it has been working for about 6 months without problem. Just gotta make sure to turn it on and off on hot days or when I'm using the a/c. I just cant see dumping another $400 for a fan that seems to last about 2 years, tops.
"This fan can also affect your a/c."

Yep, the other day a kid from the street rang my bell at night to tell me my car fan was on...when i heard it, i thought it was about to take off or something!

Now you mention it, my AC only works some times (as in only some times gives cold air), even though I just had the refigrant filled and also the compressor does engage on each time i turn the A/C on.

does anyone else know more about this fan affecting the A/C? and in what way?

thanks.
impee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #32
impee

hmm...looks like no one knows about the A/C question, but never mind.

Next question I have is, is it possible to replace the radiator fan yourself? I can't find any DIY relating to it.

if any one has done it themselves, can they tell me the level of the DIY, i.e. easy, medium or difficult, so I know if i should take it to the mechanic or not.

thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #33
willsbma

Definitely an easy DIY. Two screws at the top and slide it up and out.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #34
silverbullet325

My Ride: BMW 325i
2nd this, undo one screw and one rivet then pull the entire fan out. Slide the new one in and plug up sensors. A monkey could do it.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #35
E36graduate

My Ride: //M3
sorry for not responding sooner...my dog died two weeks ago tomorrow and I've been out of it lately. Yes, your auxiliary fan keeps your engine coolant cooler. If the coolant is getting too hot, the a/c will shut down. So, if you don't have an aux fan working, the a/c is not going to function properly. The a/c will come on and off like if it was low on freon, once your sucking air through the radiator and a/c lines, it will function properly. if your a/c is shutting off and your aux fan is not working....your expansion tank or cooling system is going to be toast!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #36
Toxic0n

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
I can get you one for $300 us but shipping might kill you... I have never tried to ship to CA
Hey, I sent you a PM. I need to buy a new fan, the dealer quoted me $1300 for the fan (i **** you not)

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #37
impee

Radiator Fan Change

man, it made me laugh...when you all said 2 clips and a screw and pull the radiator fan out...

I think you forgot to mention the 2 other clips that are only accessible by getting the car on jack stands and removing the splash sheild and the other 2 hose pipe clips in the same place too.

Any how, it was a fun DIY

here is the DIY:

http://www.impee.co.uk/radiatorfan_change.htm

p.s. some more good news...remember I mentioned that my AC was not working, well i got a mechanic over and he told me that the compressor was not engaging, well as soon as i changed the fan my AC started to work once again...YIPEE!!!

I reckon the car is clever enough to know that the radiator fan MUST be working before the AC is used / turned on.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #38
JonnyB

My Ride: 2002 330i
hmmmmmmmm, wierd. I changed my front brake rotors/pads brake lines today and then went on a short drive to bed the new pads in and when I got back I turned the car off and exited and noticed the fan was still running. I have never ever heard the sucker run when I wasn't running the AC so I thought it very odd. I put the key back in and then off and the fan stopped.

I am going to take another test drive tomorrow and see if it happens again or if it was some sort of anomaly.

I live where it's over 100 degrees all damn summer so it's not like it finally got warm here.

however, during my test drive I had the windows down and AC off - but I actually did that same thing at the track and the fan never came on.

That leads me to the other thing I noticed about this thread. It looks like almost ALL of us have angel eyes, I just installed mine last week........hmmmm...is there anyway they could be shorting something out?
JonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #39
willsbma

Quote:
Originally Posted by impee View Post
man, it made me laugh...when you all said 2 clips and a screw and pull the radiator fan out...

I think you forgot to mention the 2 other clips that are only accessible by getting the car on jack stands and removing the splash sheild and the other 2 hose pipe clips in the same place too.

Any how, it was a fun DIY

here is the DIY:

http://www.impee.co.uk/radiatorfan_change.htm

p.s. some more good news...remember I mentioned that my AC was not working, well i got a mechanic over and he told me that the compressor was not engaging, well as soon as i changed the fan my AC started to work once again...YIPEE!!!

I reckon the car is clever enough to know that the radiator fan MUST be working before the AC is used / turned on.

Must be a euro thing because my fan doesn't look like that. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Nice write up though.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #40
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by impee View Post
"This fan can also affect your a/c."

Yep, the other day a kid from the street rang my bell at night to tell me my car fan was on...when i heard it, i thought it was about to take off or something!

Now you mention it, my AC only works some times (as in only some times gives cold air), even though I just had the refigrant filled and also the compressor does engage on each time i turn the A/C on.

does anyone else know more about this fan affecting the A/C? and in what way?

thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36graduate View Post
sorry for not responding sooner...my dog died two weeks ago tomorrow and I've been out of it lately. Yes, your auxiliary fan keeps your engine coolant cooler. If the coolant is getting too hot, the a/c will shut down. So, if you don't have an aux fan working, the a/c is not going to function properly. The a/c will come on and off like if it was low on freon, once your sucking air through the radiator and a/c lines, it will function properly. if your a/c is shutting off and your aux fan is not working....your expansion tank or cooling system is going to be toast!
I have AC problem and can figure this out.. I had change out my Heater control valve, final stage resister, had the AC recharged and dye test. There was no leak that can be found. My problem is when the AC auto is on, it blows warm air in the middle vents and slightly cold on the driver side and passenger. If I put just the feet, its hot as heck even with AC fully blast at 59 degrees. Its also the same when I have just the windshield on. If I have the face and windshield then its hot up top and warm at the face. But when I have the feet and face on then the face vents are cold but the feel is still hot.... WTF.
Notice that my pusher fan whines very loud when the AC is turn on but when AC is off the fan is off. Can it be that my fan is going bad?

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote