E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #21
black323i1981

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i Sedan
Send a message via MSN to black323i1981
the inside temp sensor is built into your hvac control panel.
18" chromes
P46 with 6000k HID and 30 led angels (pictures coming soon)
6000k HID Fogs
Magnaflow exhaust 2nd resonator delete
Poly bushings all around
Cold air intake
Sport seats
Sport suspension
JVC KD-NX5000 DVD GPS single din
7" screen replaced sunglass holder and ashtray
12" Rockford P3
Eclipse 7122 mono class D amp
black323i1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #22
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by black323i1981 View Post
the inside temp sensor is built into your hvac control panel.
Ok Thanks... but I guess I wont be able to know if the temp sensor is not working right. Anyone know what else I can check before taking it to the stealership

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #23
black323i1981

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i Sedan
Send a message via MSN to black323i1981
i know the temp sensors get clogged with dust alot so if you take your hvac panel out and used compressed air and blow the panel through the front air holes it might help it did for me to read the proper temps
18" chromes
P46 with 6000k HID and 30 led angels (pictures coming soon)
6000k HID Fogs
Magnaflow exhaust 2nd resonator delete
Poly bushings all around
Cold air intake
Sport seats
Sport suspension
JVC KD-NX5000 DVD GPS single din
7" screen replaced sunglass holder and ashtray
12" Rockford P3
Eclipse 7122 mono class D amp
black323i1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
arcticcougar

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330i
im having problems with mine too... not sure how related this is but on the driver side vent and the middle vent close to the drivers side the air is coming out cool... the other two on the passenger side are just blowing air... not hot but not really cold either

if I close the drives side vents cold air goes through the passenger side

I had them fill up freon and check for leaks and there were no leaks but for a while all was fine but now its acting up... any ideas?
arcticcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #25
rowboat

My Ride: 2002 325i
I have similar problem (2002 325i), with warm air blowing out of the center vent, that only seems to occur when it is hotter outside and car is hot from sitting in the sun. Othertimes, like when parked in the garage or in the shade, the AC blows perfectly cool. One of the threads I read said something about the chance it might be a bad outside air sensor? I was not aware. Any other suggestions? Would a failing Heater Control Valve "act up" randomly (or when temps are warmer) before completely failing? If so, that migh explain why it does not happen all the time. I bought a new HCV but don't want to replace mine if it is not the cause (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Anyone??
rowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #26
mhbmd

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yellowmann,

Any updates? I'm curious about any resolution to your problem because I have a very similar problem and do not want to start replacing parts that may not be defective.
mhbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #27
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by black323i1981 View Post
i know the temp sensors get clogged with dust alot so if you take your hvac panel out and used compressed air and blow the panel through the front air holes it might help it did for me to read the proper temps
I try this and that didnt work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbmd View Post
Yellowmann,

Any updates? I'm curious about any resolution to your problem because I have a very similar problem and do not want to start replacing parts that may not be defective.
I was just at the BMW dealer other day for Grand Opening and talked to the Service Manager and told him what I done so far to try to figure the problem out. He told me it must be the damper doors under the dash area, so I guess im going to have to take it in for them to check. I done research and found out that they can check the doors with the computer system to know which one isnt working before they have to rip out the dash. Im just hoping that its not $$$$ but I cant get my car in there yet since I been so busy with work. I still need to fix my power steering pump too, has small leak.

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #28
mhbmd

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmann View Post
I was just at the BMW dealer other day for Grand Opening and talked to the Service Manager and told him what I done so far to try to figure the problem out. He told me it must be the damper doors under the dash area, so I guess im going to have to take it in for them to check. I done research and found out that they can check the doors with the computer system to know which one isnt working before they have to rip out the dash. Im just hoping that its not $$$$ but I cant get my car in there yet since I been so busy with work. I still need to fix my power steering pump too, has small leak.
When you get it fixed, let us know what the problem was.
mhbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #29
rowboat

My Ride: 2002 325i
mhbmd, check my response to you in the other forum, I think it will help you out (BMW gave me the same runaround).
rowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #30
rhuie1

My Ride: '01 325i - AASC 8psi
This thread has been stagnent for a while, but I have the exact same problem as Yellowman. Just relaced my HCV today and it didn't fix the issue. I had my evaptorator core replaced < 2 years ago so I highly doubt it's a leak. I don't have the onboard computer option so I can't tell if the exterior temperature setting is correct or not, but if I don't hear from anyone, that's probably my next replacement.

Yellowman - what was the verdict on your issue?
rhuie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #31
jimwin

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to jimwin
does anyone have an update on this?

I have a similar problem on my '02 330ci. When set to 59*c and auto climate the outer vents (near the windows) blow cool, not cold. But the inner vents blows warm air.
When I set the positions to the windshield and face at 59*c, it blows cooler air, but not what the coldest. At the same time it blows hot ait at your feet and the defrost windshield.

Any help would help.
jimwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
I think if the heater valve is bad, all vents should be affected.
If the vents in the middle work ok, but not the others, the problem should be downstream of the valve, like air vents, motors, etc.
If the problem occurs only when the AC is on, it may be due to low freon.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #33
jfman

My Ride: 325xit 5spd, E39 M5
well count me in my car strated doing the exact same thing today.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #34
rhuie1

Nobody has followed up with any useful information, so here is my update:

Replaced the Heater Control Valve, did not fix the issues. Still have cooler air on the side vents, warm air in the center vents.

Took my car to a buddy's shop today and we checked the refrigerant level - both numbers were good.

Hooked up his scan-tool (that reads ALL bmw codes) vs. mine that only shows generic codes, and the Heater Control Valve had a code that was in there. Since I just replaced it recently, it could be a fluke, but something to keep my eyes on. It could mean either the replacement tripped a code or there is faulty wiring on the connector.

Over the weekend I removed the cabin air filter and hosing, as well as the removable mini-firewall behind it, and did some tests with the temp controls. What I noticed is that when the heat is on, only the drivers side vent flap opens. Thought that was very strange, so I had my friend come over with his e46 - ran the same test and both his vent flaps open. My buddy at the shop today said those vents SHOULDN'T have anythign to do with the hot air blowing out the center, but is still an issue. So right now we're thinking either some kind of actuator motor controlling the inner flaps or the electronic controls.

If anyone has had a similar experience, please chime in before I remove the entire dash. Thanks...
Old 05-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #35
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
Well this is my dilemma,
When i have the a/c running, the two driverside vents blow cold, the two passanger vents blow warm. When all 3 controls are on, it blows cooler.
Any ideas?
I read this thread and it seems to have a little of everything.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #36
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcougar View Post
im having problems with mine too... not sure how related this is but on the driver side vent and the middle vent close to the drivers side the air is coming out cool... the other two on the passenger side are just blowing air... not hot but not really cold either

if I close the drives side vents cold air goes through the passenger side

I had them fill up freon and check for leaks and there were no leaks but for a while all was fine but now its acting up... any ideas?
This is similar to my problem. Did you find out the problem?
Phoenix is getting hot,and dont need the extra heat. LoL
Old 05-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #37
Spdu4ia

My Ride: changes too much
i have to bump this so I can try something... Can I take the inlet hose off the control valve and plug it instead of clamping the outlet hose? Which one is which?

Spdu4ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #38
Spdu4ia

My Ride: changes too much
anyone?

Spdu4ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #39
rhuie1

The original people in this thread are as useless as foreskin...

The only thing I can do to benefit the thread is update my status. I replaced the heater control valve and it didn't fix the issue. My last post went over what I had done in terms of diagnostics so far. The other day, the A/C decided to magically start working again. Freezing cold air... was beautiful. That lasted a week or two, then one day all of a sudden it started blowing hot out of the center vents again. I tried turning the A/C on and off a few times by turning the blower speed from level 1 to 0 to 1 to 0, no dice. I then bypassed the auto function and turned on face and feet, and it started working fine again. This is leading me to believe it has something to do with the control function. I'll start looking on ebay for a replacement control unit and cross my fingers.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #40
aam2u

My Ride: 03 330i
any updates... i just replaced my hcv today and it didnt help a bit... i have pretty much the same problem... the only way i can get cold air out of the face vents is to open the floor or windshield vents which both blow hot air when opened... if i only open the face vents i just get warmish air. any help would be much appreciated.
aam2u is offline   Reply With Quote