E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #41
jimwin

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to jimwin
I finally got my a/c problem fixed a couple weeks ago. And I replaced the heater control valve and the evaporator. So far so good.
jimwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #42
benjonescs

My Ride: 2000 328i
same issue here

I have cold air on the driver vents and warmer air on the passenger vents. All I have done is check the freon pressure, and it checked out good. Still having the issue and I am not sure what the next step I should take.

I have heard the heater control valve, but it seems logical to think that that would affect all of the air and not just specific vents.

Please message me with any advice on the matter.

Thanks,
Ben
benjonescs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #43
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
Same problem

I have this same issue, there must be a common fix. Anyone find a solution yet?

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #44
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
i replaced my heater control valve.. and im still getting hot air, im tking the car to the shop on monday and see if it needs a recharge... hopefully tht will be it... if not then its probably the evaporator...
Old 09-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #45
therookie

My Ride: BMW e46 '04 320d
hello i have the same problem as jraine on the begining, it blows ice cold in the middle vents, but hot out towards to windshield and my feet...
this happend while i was driving, a bit of smoke came in through the vents... as I stoped and went out of the car I could smell that something was burning, like plastic...

what could that be?
therookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #46
Status Gruppe
Sponsor

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Send a message via AIM to Status Gruppe

Mike Migs
Status Gruppe Tuning
10801 Vista Sorrento Parkway
San Diego, CA 92121
P. 619-887-6006
E. Info@statusgruppe.com
W.StatusGruppe.com
Like us on Facebook!
Status Gruppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #47
fuzzizola

My Ride: BMW 3 series
I have the same problem. Cold air from the driver and passenger air vents, but warm/heated air from the windshield vents. The Dealer says its a problem with the heater vents that may be "stuck" would cost $600 to have fixed.
fuzzizola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #48
aljolly

My Ride: 2000 323i wagon
Intermittant AC becomes Heat

My problem is similar,, but intermittent! After 1 hour or so, I can litterally smell the heat come on...no sound change, no motors whirring, no doors opening, no fan speed changes. My center ducts will warm up to the point of being just heat. My side ducts become warmer, but not hot. If I stop for 20+ min., the system resets, and in an hour, it will start to heat again. Obviously, this is a temp sensor misfiring and calling for the HCV to open. The ? is what sensor and where is it? Does anyone know if the HCV is NO or NC? Could a simple circuit breaking switch keep the HCV from turning on until you want it to? My Stealership recommends complete replacement which ='s phone pole and no grease.
aljolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #49
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
Your description is exactly how my car behaved. I replaced the control valve located below and behind the airbox. Very simple fix.

Meyle control arms, M3 RTAB's, Bridgstone Potenza RE760
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #50
mhbmd

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver325 View Post
Your description is exactly how my car behaved. I replaced the control valve located below and behind the airbox. Very simple fix.
This was also my experience. I described the symptoms to my (very honest, very knowledgeable) independent BMW mechanic, and he had never heard of the heater control valve going bad. His contacts in the BMW parts supply business also denied knowledge of any HCV's requiring replacement. He was, therefore, reluctant to replace a part that he didn't believe was the culprit.

So, I replaced it myself, which took less than 30 minutes (with a helper). Nearly 3 years later, I consider the problem fixed. My advice: get the part (64118369805) online (less than $100; $68.62 currently at http://getbmwparts.com/) and replace it yourself. There's a reasonable chance that that will correct the problem. If not, you'll at least know to look elsewhere.
mhbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #51
03325xi

My Ride: 03 325xi
I have the same problem, cool air on outside vents, luke warm in the middle. was told by my BMW tech and good friend that there is a fuse behind the glovebox, check that first, super easy replacement, then if need be, swap out the heater control valve. I'll let you know what i find out.
03325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #52
mhbmd

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03325xi View Post
I have the same problem, cool air on outside vents, luke warm in the middle. was told by my BMW tech and good friend that there is a fuse behind the glovebox, check that first, super easy replacement, then if need be, swap out the heater control valve. I'll let you know what i find out.
I suspect he's referring to the final stage resistor (FSR) which controls the climate control fan speed, but FSR symptoms typically relate to random fluctuations in fan speed or inappropriate fan speed for temperature settings. Many, many posts on the forums regarding this component (just search for "final stage resistor").

I don't know of any other "fuses" in that area that would affect the vent temperatures as you describe. Please let us know the outcome of your troubleshooting.

Last edited by mhbmd; 08-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.
mhbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #53
oOlAngelOo

My Ride: E46 sedan
Anyone figured this out yet?

Come on, it's been years since someone has responded to this.

Texas' weather is getting hotter, the forest fires are proof of it.

Please help, I am melting ...
oOlAngelOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #54
himefrankie

My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOlAngelOo View Post
Anyone figured this out yet?

Come on, it's been years since someone has responded to this.

Texas' weather is getting hotter, the forest fires are proof of it.

Please help, I am melting ...
You need to do some diagnostics of your own.

If it's the Water Valve (one of the most common causes of this issue), changing the air circulation settings will change the way the vents behave.
  • If you're on auto, you'll probably get cold air on one set of vents, warm on the rest.
  • If you're on windshield/dash vents or dash/floor vents, you should get cold air across the dash, and hot air through the windshield or floor vents.
  • If you're only set to windshield, or dash, or floor vents, you should get a mix like in auto mode (cold in some, warm in others) - or just all hot air.

Note how the vents behave and what type of air comes out of each - in each of your configurations. Additionally, when you change the vent settings you should literally hear a vent open or close behind the dash of the car. You want to make sure you hear these vent changes and the direction of the air flow changing.

Check fuse #62 for the water valve to see if it's busted.
  • If the fuse is good, remove it and see if your vent/air behavior changes. If nothing changes, your Water Valve probably needs to be replaced.
  • If the fuse is good, and your vent/air behavior changes after removing it - you may be looking at another issue.
  • If the fuse is bad, replace it. Ideally, the vent/air behavior should go back to normal.

Most likely, you need to replace the fuse - or the water valve.

--
himefrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #55
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
this finally has some decent info that I can check out, thanks for this last post himefrankie!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #56
oOlAngelOo

My Ride: E46 sedan
@himefrank

Hey bro thanks for the info. Today was a long day and while trying to go to bed I decided get on e46fanatics. After reading your response I jumped out of bed and checked it out. The fuse was not even the 62 slot. I guess I had removed it and never put it back.

Seriously, if it wasnt for your response I probably would be having the same problem. Again thanks for expertise.
oOlAngelOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #57
himefrankie

My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOlAngelOo View Post
@himefrank

Hey bro thanks for the info. Today was a long day and while trying to go to bed I decided get on e46fanatics. After reading your response I jumped out of bed and checked it out. The fuse was not even the 62 slot. I guess I had removed it and never put it back.

Seriously, if it wasnt for your response I probably would be having the same problem. Again thanks for expertise.
No problem!
I'm guessing you're not melting anymore?

--
himefrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #58
clintb111

My Ride: 01 330cic
Thanks!!!!

Joined this forum just for this specific problem! Simply replaced a fuse!! Been dealing with mechanics telling me I needed the dash removed, new compressor. BS--just a Fuse! Thanks!
clintb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #59
congeewong

My Ride: 330xi
Had similar symptoms. Cold air at start then turning into heat in top and bottom vents. Changed out my heater valve just now and it's solved all my issues! Easy DIY well worth a try.
congeewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #60
hailstorm350

My Ride: '03 330i
Thanks to this thread, I was able to diagnose and replace the water valve on my '03 330i.

Shout out to himefrankie for posting the symptoms list. Checked my #62 fuse and it wasn't broken so I ordered the valve from pelican.

My symptoms were:
Gradually, passenger noticed that heat was coming out at their feet. (I always kept it on dash & feet)
Eventually I noticed that driver's feet vents were blowing hot once car warmed up.
Dash blew cold AC when foot and/or up vents were on.
When only dash vents were on, I would get hot air from engine unless AC was on. If AC was on in this configuration I would get a mix of hot/cold air.

This was a really well done and easy DIY. Bleeding the coolant system took literally seconds to do, I could hear it hissing to release the air when I unscrewed the bleeder, turned on car and waited for a steady stream to come out the side, tightened it down.

Went for a quick ride to heat up the car and lo and behold, switching from hot to cold now finally works, and I get A/C blowing at my feet and in the up vents!
hailstorm350 is offline   Reply With Quote