E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Upgrade/PM Path for my 2002 ZSP, 5 speed Touring

After a couple of years of looking (and a slight lowering of my low-mileage expectations) I found the Touring of my dreams.

2002 Topaz Blue, 110,000 miles, 5 speed, Sports package, black leatherette manual seats.

I intend to keep this car long-term (it's my second similarly equipped e46 Touring) so I'm looking for a little advice about PM and mods.

The car seems to have been well-treated--the PPI showed only a few small issues-- but not particularly aggressively PM'd.

The cooling system has been done, complete with a radiator, belts and Stewart water pump. The rear brakes and parking brakes have been done.

Got plans to do the VCG, which has a very small leak right now, and air filters, plugs, and the VANOS while the engine's apart.

I'll probably replace the battery soon with an AGM Die Hard.

From a mod/aesthetic POV, I've installed an M3 wheel, a ZHP shift knob, Alcantara boot, aluminum pedals, an Ipod/DICE and new headlight covers.

So what next? My goal is to keep the car running reliably (I did a 1,200 mile round trip shortly after the cooling system was done without a hiccup.)"

The suspension seems very good for car of this age, but I may go for refresh in the spring with Koni FSDs.

Aesthetically, I need to replace the A-pillars. I love the seats but I'm thinking I may love a pair of heated sports seats more come winter. Someone local seemed to have a pair of black leatherette manuals but I haven't been able to get a response.

So what would you replace/upgrade do if it was your car?

Allen
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
jmb

My Ride: an old wagon
Finally! As picky as you were in your other post, I didn't think you would ever find one that was good enough.

How are the DISA and CCV? Both might be due for a replacement if they are still original.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
After a couple of years of looking (and a slight lowering of my low-mileage expectations) I found the Touring of my dreams.

2002 Topaz Blue, 110,000 miles, 5 speed, Sports package, black leatherette manual seats.

I intend to keep this car long-term (it's my second similarly equipped e46 Touring) so I'm looking for a little advice about PM and mods.

The car seems to have been well-treated--the PPI showed only a few small issues-- but not particularly aggressively PM'd.

The cooling system has been done, complete with a radiator, belts and Stewart water pump. The rear brakes and parking brakes have been done.

Got plans to do the VCG, which has a very small leak right now, and air filters, plugs, and the VANOS while the engine's apart.

I'll probably replace the battery soon with an AGM Die Hard.

From a mod/aesthetic POV, I've installed an M3 wheel, a ZHP shift knob, Alcantara boot, aluminum pedals, an Ipod/DICE and new headlight covers.

So what next? My goal is to keep the car running reliably (I did a 1,200 mile round trip shortly after the cooling system was done without a hiccup.)"

The suspension seems very good for car of this age, but I may go for refresh in the spring with Koni FSDs.

Aesthetically, I need to replace the A-pillars. I love the seats but I'm thinking I may love a pair of heated sports seats more come winter. Someone local seemed to have a pair of black leatherette manuals but I haven't been able to get a response.

So what would you replace/upgrade do if it was your car?

Allen
I consider the Stewart pump a downgrade. A lot of people speak of them as if they are an upgrade--a sort of sigh--relief--got that ticking time bomb of a water pump out of there. I view it as the exact opposite. But hey if it's working so far, great. Just don't be surprised if you begin to see leaks.

If it was my car, I'd do everything in my maintenance sig. I don't care if your paint is shiny--needs to be done unless there's proof it was.

My car was factory fresh looking when I bought it. But knowing BMWs I knew what needed addressing.

These things need to be brought back to life. I see a lot of shiny lookinh E46s out there w/ owners lookin' smug and confident. Little do they know that their entire car is a wet noodle ready to overheat! "But I just waxed it and changed the oil bro--my car is in top shape!" No, you're just making payments on a used car and threw on a coat of wax!

This ain't no Toyota Corolla with a BMW badge! This is an aging german performance saloon!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 07-31-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
JMB: Yeah, I was pretty picky, but I was holding out for the 5speed/sports/sunroof. I had been hoping for a lower mileage example, but this one seems like a very solid car and and I bought it at a price that allows for the PM it'll need

Mango: Maintenance signature? What? Where?
But seriously, of course I've been checking it twice, Mr. Mango.
I've had the car six weeks and by the time the next go round of PM is done later in August, I'll have done all the engine compartment jobs except the power steering (which needs it) and the DISA/CCV.
Does it make sense to roll those jobs into the VANOS/VCG?

And with the spate of fires, I'm getting a little freaked out by the FSR, although the blower seems to be working perfectly.

I'm thinking about getting some 22-inch chrome spinners and lowering it on bags, but I haven't made up my mind yet.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
jmb

My Ride: an old wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
I'm thinking about getting some 22-inch chrome spinners and lowering it on bags, but I haven't made up my mind yet.
Yes to 22" chrome. spinners are played out though. if you raise the suspension to xi height you can even fit 24s. think about it.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote