E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Silverdogz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Alignment now or later?

I just installed new LCA/FCABs as well as Sway bar end links, steering coupling, tie rod ends, and RTABs. The alignment is close, but it is a bit off with a bit of toe in in the front and less camber in the back. However, I am waiting for Shocks and struts to arrive and plan to install them a few weeks from now. So should I get it aligned now, or wait until the new shocks and struts are installed?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Sweeney921

My Ride: 2003 330Ci ZSP
The shop I go to includes a 6 month warranty on their alignments. I used it to get an alignment immediately after installing shocks/struts, then went back a week later once everything had settled in. You may be able to do the same thing. Check to see if there's a shop near you that offers the same kind of warranty. Good luck!

Last edited by Sweeney921; 05-31-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Sweeney921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
In that case, here is what I would do (YMMV):

Get two 8" boards and cut them to a length that is equal to the diameter of your tires. Find the centerline of the boards and with a friend on the other side, line up the centerline of the boards with the centerline of the wheels (the boards should be standing up and flat against your wheels/tires). Use a tape measure and measure the distance between the boards front and back. That difference is your toe. In if the front distance is shorter and out if the rear is shorter. This is not a perfect toe measurement, but good enough to deal with for a couple of weeks.

If you have any toe-out, I'd adjust it back to neutral or a slight toe-in. Toe-out will chew up your tires quickly.

If you have to adjust your toe, you're going to want to adjust it and drive the car a short way (enough to have the suspension settle back to normal ride height) before you remeasure the toe.

This is a quick and dirty toe check and we've done this before with our race cars. It's actually possible to do a very accurate home alignment with jackstands, string, a tape measure, and a protractor, but it's pretty time consuming. Racing teams do this (or some off-shoot) all the time.

Anyway, you definitely want your suspension to settle back to normal ride height before taking any measurements.

This should safely get you along until you install your suspension in a couple of weeks. Don't go too long.

Now, that all said, if you are not a handy DIYer, maybe it's not the best that you do this. It's not hard, but YOU are responsible for your own safety, NOT me. Don't do this unless you're totally comfortable doing it. You can probably find a YouTube with instructions on how to do this as well as a full alignment.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
I just installed new LCA/FCABs as well as Sway bar end links, steering coupling, tie rod ends, and RTABs. The alignment is close, but it is a bit off with a bit of toe in in the front and less camber in the back. However, I am waiting for Shocks and struts to arrive and plan to install them a few weeks from now. So should I get it aligned now, or wait until the new shocks and struts are installed?
That's not ideal either way. Get the shocks and struts sooner, get it installed and do the alignment.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Silverdogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
That's not ideal either way. Get the shocks and struts sooner, get it installed and do the alignment.
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get an alignment now, I don't particularly trust myself with the alignment and would rather spend the money to have a pro who knows what they're doing and then have another alignment with the new shocks/struts.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Mango
FCPEuro.com-Code: MangoFCP5

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Expensive or new(er) tires, do alignment. Cheapo tires or need tires soon, just wait.

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Silverdogz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Expensive or new(er) tires, do alignment. Cheapo tires or need tires soon, just wait.
New tires, so yeah.