E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #441
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
Read your manual.

You bought and paid for a performance car.

If you want to rotate tires and extend your tire life to the maximum maybe you need to be driving a Ford Taurus.

A non-M being a performance car? This is news to me
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #442
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
bmwbun. Shut up.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that kpeng's guide to excess maintenance would include rotating tires.

BMW specifically and in writing recommends against rotating tires.

Any guesses why? Or maybe it's another evil plot by BMW to make more money?

bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #443
Rayce185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
You've obviously never driven a Taurus.
Yes, I've only driven BMW all my life
Get your head out of your ass. A non-M isn't a performance car just because it handles better than the standard street car. Just because you guys only got the 6cyl versions with a 170hp entry base doesn't mean that every other car is a Taurus.

And yes, I have driven that Ford, along with loads of other vehicles equipped with a smaller engine
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #444
bmwbun
Banned

You're a car guy then.

You probably already know why BMW recommends against rotating tires.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #445
Tommy_hf

My Ride: '03 ci
yup, to prevent some noob from tigtening the lug bolts
or to prevent lawsuits from families whose father of the house got killed because of a collapsed trunk jack.... right?

Anyway, tires bed in, lots of tires are directional too. Meaning you can only swap them on the same side of the car front-back. Wear pattern is different front and rear.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:08 AM   #446
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
Yes, I've only driven BMW all my life
Get your head out of your ass. A non-M isn't a performance car just because it handles better than the standard street car. Just because you guys only got the 6cyl versions with a 170hp entry base doesn't mean that every other car is a Taurus.

And yes, I have driven that Ford, along with loads of other vehicles equipped with a smaller engine
328i = 193hp

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #447
23with@e4601!

My Ride: bmw323 I 99 e46sedan
Since u really sound like u know your bmw!!!
I just got in the bmw world!!! I have a 1999 323i manual e46 sedan this yellow light pictured as a tank with water in it keeps popping up what is that and do I have somthing to worry about
23with@e4601! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #448
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23with@e4601! View Post
I just got in the bmw world!!! I have a 1999 323i manual e46 sedan this yellow light pictured as a tank with water in it keeps popping up what is that and do I have somthing to worry about
Your wiper fluid is low, homedawg.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #449
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Read your manual.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #450
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolio View Post
328i = 193hp
Yea but a 323 has 170 which is the base model like he said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
I didn't know the 328 was the entry model
It wasn't.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #451
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
BMW does not recommend rotating tires because they have to take into account the lowest common denominator: the American driver. They realize that Americans (and increasingly the rest of the world, unfortunately) are a very letigious group and don't want to take responsibility for:

Jacking up their own car and having it fall on them.

Rotating larger rear tires to the front where they don't belong (people will do this, I've seen it on two occasions) and having an accident because the handling is adversely altered.

Tightening lug nuts too tight and warping rotors, etc.

I'm sure the BMW lawyers have thought up more, the fact is it is just easier for them to say "Don't do it", and have far fewer lawsuits. It's easier for them to print it in manuals distributed world-wide to avoid any confusion.

I've been rotating my (non staggered) tires for years and have never had a problem, on track or off. Many independent shops do it also and, yes, even a few dealers, non staggered set ups, of course.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #452
Rayce185

Quote:
Originally Posted by klax View Post
BMW does not recommend rotating tires because they have to take into account the lowest common denominator: the American driver. They realize that Americans (and increasingly the rest of the world, unfortunately) are a very letigious group and don't want to take responsibility for:

Jacking up their own car and having it fall on them.

Rotating larger rear tires to the front where they don't belong (people will do this, I've seen it on two occasions) and having an accident because the handling is adversely altered.

Tightening lug nuts too tight and warping rotors, etc.

I'm sure the BMW lawyers have thought up more, the fact is it is just easier for them to say "Don't do it", and have far fewer lawsuits. It's easier for them to print it in manuals distributed world-wide to avoid any confusion.

I've been rotating my (non staggered) tires for years and have never had a problem, on track or off. Many independent shops do it also and, yes, even a few dealers, non staggered set ups, of course.
Thank you. I rest my case.

If people are too stupid to properly mount tires in any way (not just rotating), then there is no more sense discussing this any further, as those people probably shouldn't do their own oil changes either etc, which undermines the intent of this entire thread.
All I know is that there are no real technical issues with the tires or the car if you rotate your (same sized) wheel setup. Human failure excluded.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #453
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Quote:
if the light is shaped like a windscreen and there are squirts coming out the top......wait.... Then its probably your windshield fluid. But if the light is square with water at the bottom then you coolant it low, CHECK IT NOW.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #454
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
Why do you rotate tires? Cost. Rotating tires extends the life of your tires so you can therefore save money by rotating.

So why would BMW suggest to NOT rotate?

I believe the theory is this: don't rotate your tires and two of them will wear out at a time (i.e. the rear tires). Be prepared to replace two tires at a time, and the cost of not rotating tires balances out. In other words, rotate your tires and replace 4 tires, or don't and replace 2, albeit sooner and more frequently. I don't know if it actually balances out or not. Also, I drive an XI, so keeping tire diameters the same is more important than for you RWD guys. And of course, plenty of people don't like having old and new tires on their car, for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Get the hell out of my thread.
Bun wasn't doing a very good job of explaining the rationale, but he still has a good point and the thread benefits. At least, that's true if you think that we benefit from debate. Your maintenance guide is good and it helps a lot of people (myself included), but I don't think it's perfect.

Last edited by MileHiXi; 08-30-2009 at 11:06 AM.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #455
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
This thread is not for bickering about some silly detail. Please keep this thread on track.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #456
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
A whole bunch of threads just disappeared... interesting.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #457
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
Bun wasn't doing a very good job of explaining the rationale
No surprise there
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #458
bmwbun
Banned

I wasn't even attempting to explain BMW's rationale for recommending against rotating tires.

I simply made the point that when you decide you want to do something that the car manufacturer specifically says not to do in their owners manual, you ought to have an understanding why they recommend against it.

Additionally, you ought to have an idea in your head as to the benefits you intend to gain that more than offset the negatives that drive BMW's recommendation.

Unless of course you just prefer doing excess maintenance. Then you should rotate them weekly, more often if you're a true Fanatic.

Last edited by bmwbun; 08-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #459
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Ken, what about engine/transmission mounts? OEM replacements or other?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #460
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Ken, what about engine/transmission mounts? OEM replacements or other?
Umm i think the manual recommends not replacing these...

jk
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, propaganda, tool