E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.70 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #101
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
you shouldnt have that much gunk at 45k miles, just doing 6-7k oil changes from hear on out run good gas, and air filters, and you will be fine.
Sound advice, go with it.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #102
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
Great thread, Ken

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #103
Daddy MO

My Ride: e30/K5 Blazer/Xterra
How bout you make a thread about "how to walk on water"!!!

Thanks to: Lubrify.com / TOMAS Sport Tuning / BRRacing / Craftwerx Concepts / I/O Port Racing Supplies / AGUND1S Tire
Daddy MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #104
firstbm1

My Ride: 02' 330ci
firstbm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #105
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
Awesome thread Ken .

I have 66,872 miles on my 02 step. I'd be "risking it" if I were to change out the tranny fluid huh?

Last edited by eee4666; 07-29-2008 at 10:18 PM.
eee4666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #106
BM-MAN

My Ride: Hot 3 coupe
Send a message via MSN to BM-MAN
Great!!! Thanks a lot for this.
BM-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #107
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by eee4666 View Post
Awesome thread Ken .

I have 66,872 miles on my 02 step. I'd be "risking it" if I were to change out the tranny fluid huh?
You should still be ok. Do it soon though!
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #108
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
FANTASTIC thread!! Ken strikes gold again. Ken lad, you get my vote for "best E46Fanatic EVER"!

I'm still kicking myself for never touching my tranny fluid. 2002 320i sedan, 207,000KMs, no fluid changes, daily driven year round in Canadian winters from hell, and not one tranny issue......yet.

Bart
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #109
Eduardo1971

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Very informative. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #110
djhenry

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to djhenry
awesome advice, thanks ken!
djhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #111
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
AFAIK, you need 2 qt. for the diff when filling it up while the diff is still in the car due to the loss in the pipes, etc... If the diff is out you only need to pour down 1 qt.

Nice thread though!

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #112
kpeng
Banned User

Thanks cngzsn!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #113
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Not sure if this was mentioned already....

But where can I find a list of all the preventative maintenance I should do to my bushings and anything else around the 60,000 mile mark?

I have a copy of the Inspection II, but dont think it addresses what Im after.....any help would be greatly appreciated
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #114
xArmyPilot

My Ride: '01 330ci & '09 M5
Great thread, Kpeng ....I can especially attest to the fuel filter maintenance - Cheap, EZ and effective.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #115
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned already....

But where can I find a list of all the preventative maintenance I should do to my bushings and anything else around the 60,000 mile mark?

I have a copy of the Inspection II, but dont think it addresses what Im after.....any help would be greatly appreciated
Bushings don't really have a set interval. You can just check on them and replace as needed. Obviously, if you're lowered, they will wear a lot faster.

To check your front control arm bushings:
Have a friend stand outside your car and watch the front wheels, get in the car, put it into gear and let it coast forward. Hit the brakes for a second and have your friend tell you if he/she sees the front wheels stutter and jiggle around each time you hit the brakes. If it does, you need FCABs. You can switch places if you don't trust your friend.

To check your rear trailing arm bushings:
You can just look at them and see if there is any separation. Or if you're noticing that the rear is kicking out a bit more and being unstable around corners. Chances are, you'll need RTABs. Not sure how long they last when you lower a car, but about 25,000 miles after I lowered my car, they gave out. I replaced them with Meyle HDs with the Turner Motorsport Limiter Kit.

As far as the diff bushings, tranny bushings, I would replace them if you feel any problems. There really is no set time for these either. It depends on how you drive.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #116
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
the way most shops check the FCAB, raise the front wheels and rock the wheel, if you have play in the wheel check tie-rods 1st, if tie-rods have no play left to right, go under the car and grab the CA and rock them, watch the CAB and look for play in the bushing. if none, then you need ball joints. if you have a shot CAB, its safe to assume you need CAB and ball joints.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #117
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Bushings don't really have a set interval. You can just check on them and replace as needed. Obviously, if you're lowered, they will wear a lot faster.

To check your front control arm bushings:
Have a friend stand outside your car and watch the front wheels, get in the car, put it into gear and let it coast forward. Hit the brakes for a second and have your friend tell you if he/she sees the front wheels stutter and jiggle around each time you hit the brakes. If it does, you need FCABs. You can switch places if you don't trust your friend.

To check your rear trailing arm bushings:
You can just look at them and see if there is any separation. Or if you're noticing that the rear is kicking out a bit more and being unstable around corners. Chances are, you'll need RTABs. Not sure how long they last when you lower a car, but about 25,000 miles after I lowered my car, they gave out. I replaced them with Meyle HDs with the Turner Motorsport Limiter Kit.

As far as the diff bushings, tranny bushings, I would replace them if you feel any problems. There really is no set time for these either. It depends on how you drive.
Im not lowered, and dont plan on ever lowering my car, any ideas when I may need to change these items? Should I stick with OEM or go aftermarket? Any suggestions?

What about shock mounts, any other bushings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
the way most shops check the FCAB, raise the front wheels and rock the wheel, if you have play in the wheel check tie-rods 1st, if tie-rods have no play left to right, go under the car and grab the CA and rock them, watch the CAB and look for play in the bushing. if none, then you need ball joints. if you have a shot CAB, its safe to assume you need CAB and ball joints.

Thanks!!!
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #118
SW222
Banned User

My Ride: is silver and slow.
Hey Ken, I always thought that you were a jerk from reading all your flamming posts towards ppl on here. At one point, I even wanted to respond and bash you back to defend and avenge your victims, lol. But I'm glad that I didn't. I came to realized that you are a very smart and informative person with great knowledge, from all your helpful posts. A lot of folks on here respect and appreciate your efforts, and so do I now. Would you mind if I PM you in the future for help and advices? I know, I know, I'll make sure to do a Very Thorough Search on my car problems BEFORE I contact you for pointers, haha. Cuz we all know Kpeng hate nooblets with a passion! =)
SW222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #119
pinoycowboy

My Ride: VW GLI & Passat TDI
Send a message via ICQ to pinoycowboy Send a message via AIM to pinoycowboy
exactly what i've been looking for, thanks ken

e46 SOLD :(
pinoycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #120
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonwoo View Post
Hey Ken, I always thought that you were a jerk from reading all your flamming posts towards ppl on here. At one point, I even wanted to respond and bash you back to defend and avenge your victims, lol. But I'm glad that I didn't. I came to realized that you are a very smart and informative person with great knowledge, from all your helpful posts. A lot of folks on here respect and appreciate your efforts, and so do I now. Would you mind if I PM you in the future for help and advices? I know, I know, I'll make sure to do a Very Thorough Search on my car problems BEFORE I contact you for pointers, haha. Cuz we all know Kpeng hate nooblets with a passion! =)
Thanks Simon. Sure, you can PM me whenever you like. I get a few every day, lol. I never flame anyone who doesn't deserve it.

Tags
maintenance, propaganda, tool