E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
h2m3

My Ride: 2001 330i
Crossed wires: What's the best aux input?

Hi folks,
I recently bought a 2001 330i sedan with Business CD, Harman/Kardon, and no CD changer. There is no "mode" button on the receiver face. There is also a badge in the trunk saying the car is pre-wired for a BMW phone (I have no idea how common this is). After calling the dealership and conducting what I thought to be thorough research, I purchased the USA-SPEC PA12-BMW-DSP, on the assumption that the HK "HiFi" button on the center console indicated the car has DSP.

When I went to install it, I found that the cables provided did not match up with what I found in the trunk of my car, or anything that I'd seen in an installation video. For one thing, the three-pin (white-brown-red) connector had the brown wire in the second position. And the second set of connectors (on the adapter) did not match any of the three other connections present in the trunk of the car. See attached pic of the wires present in the trunk.

What I'm seeking is a hard-wired solution for my iPhone. Having it charge from the same connection would be nice, as would integrated controls, but neither is a must-have. Whether the audio signal travels over Apple dock connector or 3.5mm audio cable doesn't really matter either, but I can't live with an FM modulator.

With this post I hope that someone here can make a recommendation about what solutions will work with this setup, or at least tell me:

Does the HK stereo in the '01 E46's indicate that DSP is present?
Will the Audiovox/DICE Duo/MediaBridge work? If so, do I need the DSP adapter?
How do those devices differ from the Soundplicity kit?

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited by h2m3; 11-02-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to include picture
h2m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
h2m3

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I don't believe DSP was available in the E46. There are several solutions to integrate an iPhone with the stock system. I have a DICE Silverline Pro unit integrated with the oem head unit. It gas worked fine with both an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 5.
markusmarkus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
h2m3

Thanks markus. Does your car have the HK option?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
No it doesn't.
markusmarkus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
I'm curious about this setup also as I have similar wires in my 2002 330 with Business CD Harmon Kardon speakers and no CD changer. However when running my VIN, I found that I am pre wired for a CD changer. I have these cables and would like to know what they are as well. I have read all the threads I could find and I think I know my only option is aftermarket or a DICE or similar Add-on. Am I wrong?

Here are my Wires in the trunk.

Last edited by DonaldE; 12-16-2012 at 08:21 PM.
DonaldE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
nukem22

My Ride: E46 TiAg Coupe
I've never had an iPod, so I used a BMW-aux adapter with a regular MP3 player. I think it's this one (http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-292-8...mw-radios.aspx). It plugs in where the CD changer would be and uses the CD changer aux in. At least you can still use the volume on the wheel.
nukem22 is offline   Reply With Quote