E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
r6vr6

My Ride: 2002 ///M3
DICE - I wish I knew this before I bought it.

The dice is incapable of waking up the ipod out of "hibernation". This means if you leave your ipod plugged in when you go to a dinner,work, get home (anything around 1hr +/-) the ipod will not turn back on by just starting your car. You have to manually wake the ipod up by touching it or disconnecting / reconnecting before you start the car.

If I would have known this before I would not have purchased the DICE. I thought the whole point of the DICE is that you plug your ipod in and put it in the glove box and forget it. Then the Ipod could be accessed through your radio controls.

The Dice has great sound quality and some good features but to me it is missing the most important thing...being able to turn the ipod on in the first place.

I have two other cars with aftermarket stereos with ipod connectivity and they both can wake the ipod out of hibernation.

I just wanted to get this info out there because I wish somebody would have told me explicitly about it.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Mine does that too, but it takes well over 12 hours before deep hibernation.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
never had that happen ever.. i leave it in the car over night as well.. i just always shut the radio off before exiting the car, then when i turn the radio on, it reconnects no issues at all.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
It's really puzzling to me, the shortcuts that DICE has taken in building it's product. My Icelink+ (thankfully) keeps working like a trooper. It has no problems waking my iPod from hibernation. Another shortcoming of the DICE: it's interaction with the built-in BMW Bluetooth feature. With my Icelink+, when a call comes in, it pauses the iPod. With the DICE, the iPod's sound is muted, but is left playing. Why? Bizarre!

The DICE is/was constantly touted as the next generation or replacement of the Icelink+, but for some reason DICE decided to leave out, what I think, are some pretty basic features.
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Responded in other thread and M3Forum: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8609474
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
r6vr6

"Mine does that too, but it takes well over 12 hours before deep hibernation."

mine is appears to be doing it around 30 min +/-

"never had that happen ever.. i leave it in the car over night as well.. i just always shut the radio off before exiting the car, then when i turn the radio on, it reconnects no issues at all."

I'll try this tonight thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
good info, Thanks

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
eek142

My Ride: E46
What kind of ipod is it? Mine can be in my car for over a day or two and still not hibernate...2nd gen mini.
eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Mike325i

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to Mike325i Send a message via Yahoo to Mike325i
I don't have to disconnect my dice to get it to turn on the ipod. I can turn the car off for a day, 1 week, or just 5 minutes and it will do something different everytime. Sometimes it will play music right away regardless of time spent off. Sometimes it will say "disconnected" and all that I have to do is turn the radio off then back on. Once in a great while I have to disconnect it because no text displays on the screen and I cannot control the ipod through the radio/wheel controls. It had different set of symptoms in my previous E46.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 AM   #10
RichardP

My Ride: M5
The time taken to enter deep sleep (older iPods) is about 36 hours, hibernation (newer iPods) is about 14 hours.

Older iPods include : Gen 3, Gen 4, Photo and Mini.

Newer iPods include : Video, Classic, Nano Gen 1,2,3 & 4.

The Touch is a little different and can enter hibernation mode very quickly, just a few minutes in some circumstances.

Older iPods can be forced into deep sleep quickly by placing an empty file called _short_deepsleep in the iPod_Control\Device folder on the iPod, this maes the iPod enter deep sleep after about 10 minutes. You can prevent deep sleep with an empty file called _no_DeepSleep on older iPods, but not newer ones. You can also prevent deep sleep or hibernation by using calendar reminders, the exact frequency of the reminders depends on the type of iPod.

There is a lot of information about iPods and Sleep modes etc here.
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #11
r6vr6

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have a 5th gen 30 gb video.

Last night I turned the radio off with the ipod / dice recognized and then turned the car off. This morning I started the car and turned the radio on and the ipod / dice was recognized!!! (this was after 8 hrs) So this looks to be a pretty good work around.

Tonight I'll try:
Just turning the radio off and on.
After the ipod is not recognized turning off the radio letting the car set and then starting and turning radio on to confirm it can wake it up.

I played around with trying to make reminders but it appears that I have to download some third party software to get them in the correct format. (I'm not a MAC guy)
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
RichardP

My Ride: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6vr6 View Post
I played around with trying to make reminders but it appears that I have to download some third party software to get them in the correct format. (I'm not a MAC guy)
There are some links to reminder files in the link I posted above.
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #13
ccfj1

My Ride: 2003 M3
The only ipod interface that wakes up the ipod AFAIK is the Intravee II and the modded Alpine KCA-410i, I have one it it works as described, my ipod just sits in the boot (trunk) all the time and "wakes" from hibernation when the modded Alpine KCA-410i powers on.

The dice is a good product, but is little better than a AUX connection IMO, I tested the Dice Silverline and the Intravee II back to back and for me the choice was obvious.

Have a look for yourself.

http://www.intravention.co.uk/

Buy from here.

http://************/4f4su8

BTW I have no axe to grind, the dice is a good product if you are on a budget, but if you have Nav or want better OEM style integration go for the Intravee.

HTH
Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
r6vr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
There are some links to reminder files in the link I posted above.
10-4 richardp I looked at your link after posting. I will definitely try couple of those tricks out.

My inital problem though doesn't appear to be the deep hibernation though because if the car sets for 30min or so it won't wake up. I'll definitely be trying all these tips out tonight.

I think turning the radio off \on though will satisfy the boss for the time being.(the dice was a b-day present for my wife)
Old 10-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
r6vr6

Final update:

Well the DICE does not consistently wake up after 10-15min regardless of what is done. I can do any of these and the DICE will not be recognized:

Turn radio off before turning car off. Turn radio on after car is started.
Turning ipod on while connected to DICE before starting car.
Turning ipod on connecting to dice then starting car.
Starting car then turning ipod on.
Starting car then connect ipod.

The only way to get the dice to wake up every time is to start the car, turn it off, and then restart it. I have tried everything I could find and was recommended but the DICE still does not appear to work properly. I am keeping the DICE though because I don't want to waste any more time uninstalling and it will still get used for long trips. I will not be buying any DICE products in the future.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #16
Kronk42583

My Ride: 2002 325i
i use a USA Spec adaptor from crutchfield. it costs the same as the DICE. i works a lot like the BMW ipod connection... it can use 5 BMW specific playlists, with full controls on the car deck, but you can also pickup your ipod and control it. unlike the DICE, you can't control playlists other than the 5 BMW specific ones using the radio controls. you can control whatever you want using the ipod itself though. you also get full text display like the dice. i have had some minor buzzing problems when the car's lights are on, but i seem to have gotten it to an acceptable level. i was tempted to return mine and use the DICE, but it seems that thing has so many reliability problems. as for wake up issues... my ipod wakes up as soon as i open the car door. it does not start playing until turn the car on though, (and of course it doesn't play if i'm listening to CD or radio) as for bluetooth issues, i don't use any so i can't say. it also features RCA stereo plugs to add an AUX input. last thing. after you turn the radio/car off, the ipod continues to charge for a time and then turns off. so your ipod always stays charged. there is one catch, though it seems that this is common to all ipod adapters. if you use an ipod classic, itouch, or iphone and use the newest firmware, then the hybrid mode that lets you control using both the ipod and the deck will not work. this is an issue with apple. for me, i have an ipod classic and if i want to use the ipod to control my music, then i don't get text displayed on the screen, and i don't get the use of the 5 BMW playlists. i can use the forward/next controls on the deck steering wheel though. i have decided to trade my ipod with a friend for his ipod video that doesn't have this issue. it seems like the best /most reliable choice.
Kronk42583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #17
awt

My Ride: 523i
Send a message via MSN to awt
After reading this thread, I went for the Intravee. I'd never heard about it before, and I think that's a little strange since it seems much better.
awt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #18
Topperdog

My Ride: BMW 330
Not the only problems with the DICE. The firmware in teh DICE unit sucks too. Text displays are often wrong, and I always have a song playing but the DICe chooses to display a completely erroneous album title for the song that is playing. That is software, and that is my beef with the DICE. It works great physicall with changing tracks, and finding songs, but the stuff they choose to use to sell the product, text displays etc., are sub par at best. They need a BIG firmware update for there product. Mine is still showing albums missing from playlist that are physically on the IPOD but aren't recognized by the DICE.

It works yes, but for the money they charge for the little box, I expect a few more things to work better, like displaying the correct album title with the song that is playing.
Topperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperdog View Post
Not the only problems with the DICE. The firmware in teh DICE unit sucks too. Text displays are often wrong, and I always have a song playing but the DICe chooses to display a completely erroneous album title for the song that is playing. That is software, and that is my beef with the DICE. It works great physicall with changing tracks, and finding songs, but the stuff they choose to use to sell the product, text displays etc., are sub par at best. They need a BIG firmware update for there product. Mine is still showing albums missing from playlist that are physically on the IPOD but aren't recognized by the DICE.

It works yes, but for the money they charge for the little box, I expect a few more things to work better, like displaying the correct album title with the song that is playing.
Replied in DICE Q/A Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=1#post9490808
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote