E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
6MTGirl

My Ride: loves camber
Help me connect an aux cable to my retrofitted MKIV Nav!

Hi guys, I retrofitted the OEM 16:9 Nav into my car some years ago and would like to connect the OEM aux input cable to it. I've got the correct aux cable for cars with Nav, which comes with a female connector to plug into the male end of the OEM nav harness. However, I discovered that the Nav *retrofit* harness comes with the wrong connector (female end instead of male):

I found someone else who ran into the same problem at the bottom of this post. Their solution was this:

How do I modify the harness' female connector into a male like in the post above? I don't think the male end can be purchased separately. The wires are numbered 1, 2 and 3 on the inside of the connectors, so I can figure out which one is supposed to go with which. However, I don't know what the best way is to connect the wires to each other. Also, I'm not opposed to cutting a $35 aux cable similarly to the guy above, but I'd rather not hack up my Nav harness if possible. I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks.

Last edited by 6MTGirl; 12-27-2015 at 05:00 PM.
6MTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car's vehicle identification number (VIN). Hit enter and bookmark the page. Click on the audio icon. Browse there to see if you can find the appropriate connector and pins. Also, what year E46 did the newer nav come from. You might click on "select another car" and "build" a car of that year using the drop down menus. Then, search in the audio section for the right connector and pin. Lastly, you can go to the dealer and work with the parts person.

Btw, you can turn a female connector into a male connector.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
6MTGirl

Thanks, I've looked and looked on realoem.com under "Audio wiring harness" and under "Navigation system", but I haven't been able to find any individual connectors. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place? The Nav unit is dated June 2004 and I've even played around with different build dates and trims too. I'm just not sure the male connector is available individually. Contacting the dealer would be my next step.

How can I turn a female connector into a male, other than by replacing it?
Old 12-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My bad, check the vehicle electrical system for connectors and parts.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:39 AM   #5
6MTGirl

I wanted to post my solution in case others run into the same issue in the future. I could have purchased the missing male connector separately, but I wanted one with the wires already attached so I can make it work with simple wire connectors. Alternately, I could have taken out the female connectors on both the retrofit harness and aux cable end, but I wanted to keep the harness intact. I found a Sirius slave cable BMW sells that has the correct male connector I was missing (circled). This slave cable is BMW part #84110150526 and can be purchased here. I then cut off the redundant female connector on the aux cable, stripped all 3 wires and hooked them up to the male connector via these car stereo connectors (I am told they provide a more secure connection than regular butt connectors).

The most important part is connecting the wires correctly. On the Nav harness end, the wires are brown, yellow and black (see first post). On the aux cable end, the wires are white/brown, white/red and white/blue.

Connect:
brown to white/brown
yellow to white/red
black to white/blue

Don't worry about the new male connector from the Sirius slave cable that came with different color wires, treat them as an extension of the Nav harness wires.

And voila, you've got a working aux input with a Nav retrofit harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlaveCable.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	623351   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160128_162624.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	623352  

Last edited by 6MTGirl; 01-31-2016 at 08:54 PM.
6MTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
markusmarkus

Well done.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Miles E46

My Ride: E46 2002 saloon
HI everyone,i have a E46 2002 330i saloon with nav-cd changer in the trunk, i got this aux cable and try to fixed it . When i removed my nav system i found that there was no connection behind it , open the tape from both white and blue conectors but nothing there ... any help, please.
Miles E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
6MTGirl

Miles, check out this thread. As I recall, the OEM aux cable will only work with 2003+ models, there is info in that thread on how to check if your head unit is compatible and what other options you've got if it isn't.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 AM   #9
Miles E46

My Ride: E46 2002 saloon
Thank you very much !
Miles E46 is offline   Reply With Quote