E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
pnoise2003

My Ride: 03 BMW 325i touring
ZENON light FLICKERING help!

hey guys I am new to this thread after reading about problems in flickering headlights, I wanted to just write my own as I have a different situation.

I bought the 2003 325i touring about 1 week ago and has some issues with lighting. the car came with a AFTERMARKET LED tailights, the healights seem to be aftermarket but using the OEM ballast, also has AFTERMARKET ANGEL EYES RINGS on the headlights, and has a LED license plate light.
So that is what the car has.

this is how it is setup: when I unlock the car using the keyless remote the ANGEL EYES turns on, now at night driving or parked with headlights on the headlights flickers both randomly to the point that sometimes it will turn off and i get a LIGHT ERROR on my dash, so i just turn off and turn back on to get my lights back on but cycle starts again within a minute.

I disconnected the ANGEL EYES yesterday and drove at night and same problems.
I will look for a stock OEM taillights for sale and buy them and put it back to stock. and sell the led.

any help please its driving me nuts.

thank you.
pnoise2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
A lot of members have LED tail lights and I haven't seen any issues with them affecting the headlights. Usually OEM tail lights (due to their poor ground) causes from headlight issues. The angel eyes will not affect the headlights as well. Have you checked the wiring for the headlights? If you can please provide pictures of everything.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
Swervee

My Ride: 2001 330i
Light flickering problems, some times, have something to do with the ballast. If one flickers and the other doesn't, you might want to swap the ballast and see if the flicker follows it. I had to get error code eliminators and better ballasts to get rid of my flickering problem. But mine was a retrofit..
Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
pnoise2003

I will be trying to buy a error code eliminator to see if this works, and I have also read about anti flicker for the headlights.

where can I get these from?

i will post update after installation of error eliminators.

also found these problems with the car

-amber lights do not blink when remote keyfob is pushed to lock or unlock
-windows do not roll down when unlock button is pushed and held at. (any suggestions? where i can look maybe its disabled.)

thanks guys for your time
cynar
Old 06-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Swervee

For cheap, you can get them on eBay, but you'll regret it later you can trust me on that. I went that route before because I was short on money and the one I had went out so I needed one asap. For quality go with theretrofitsource.com they'll answer questions and have good customer service. Although their prices are on the high side. The Amber lights I don't think should blink, at least they don't on my 330 I think the only way they do is if you have an alarm system. Try walking closer when you do the button thing and make sure you press once and hold it on the second one.
You're welcome I hope you solve those issues.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
pnoise2003

tnx swervee I will order on Monday and install ASAP and post update here

cynar
Old 06-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #7
Swervee

No problem, yea do, check that everything is connected correctly too. You might also want to check the battery to see if it's good, and if you get more flicker from one than the other swap the ballast since you're going to have to take everything apart anyways. If all that fails take pictures like Jake said so we can see.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Still waiting on those pics... Post up what you have so we know what kind of lights are on your car.

The amber lights won't blink since the alarm system is not enabled in factory (alarm system is not installed as well). You can activate it by buying the PA Soft 1.4 software for $35 USD. As for the windows not going down the key might have to be re-synced.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
pnoise2003

Sorry I do not know how to post pics, my headlight is DEPO with the oem ballast, this car had a OEM projector from what owner was saying.
drove the car last night headlight still flickers then error and right side off and sometimes left side would still flickers then off.

this car has a aftermarket radio maybe thats a reason for the lights not blinking when remote if pushed but i still need to do some research.

as far as flickering headlight i might need a new ballast as they flicker then turns off.

i will post update after thanks guys i will also try to figure how to post pics

thanks
cynar
Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Swervee

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=232424

a thread about posting pictures, too lazy to type it thankfully it was already covered. if the car came with projectors then you shouldnt need anti-flicker capacitors, that only leaves the ballast, bulb and battery, maaaaaybe wiring. i suggest posting pictures since we're swinging in the dark right now. the radio has nothing to do with the lights not blinking if you dont have an alarm they wont blink. if you have a friend with an hid kit maybe ask him to swap one of the bulbs with yours to test the ballast and the bulb at the same time. bulb flickers on his ballast=bulb is bad, if his bulb flickers on your ballast=your ballast being bad.