E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
homeryen88

My Ride: 2002 325i sedan
Exterior Mod: UMNITZA R/C/R LED Tail Lights (Review and Impressions)

Exterior Mod: UMNITZA R/C/R LED Tail Lights (Review and Impressions)

BRAND: Depo
RETAILER: umnitza
LINK: http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1106
My Car: 2002 facelift sedan

I was definitely pining for LED tail lights. No surprise there. The aesthetic and technological advantages of LED lighting are vastly superior to that of OEM halogen lighting. But, I was also intent on getting the Red/Clear/Red LED Tail Lights (RCRTLs). Both types of LED tail lights are pictured below.

So, this review will probably only impact a small handful of readers out there because there is a such a preponderance of forum Fanatics that prefer the more-popular LED Clear/Red tail lights (CRTLs). If a forum sponsor sells LED tail lights, they'll definitely be the ones that you see in the first picture below. The most competitively priced ones (that I've seen) can be found at DDMTuning.com. But it's an entirely different story for the RCRTLs. It is like finding a needle in a haystack. And, even when you do find it, you're likely to prick yourself.

Logically, the CRTLs do make more sense. All of the sponsors' LED CRTLs are advertised as plug-and-play, which means no resistors or any fiddling are necessary. Less aggravation always equals more joy! Also, installing the LED CRTLs is a fairly easy project, even for a novice DIY'er. Most importantly, LED CRTLs are much more affordable. For example, DDMTuning's LED CRTLs retail for $145. The LED RCRTLs on UMNITZA's website retail for $356.83 for my kind of vehicle. Granted, if you Google long and hard enough, you might find sellers that retail these hard-to-find lights for less. But, I believe that you are taking unnecessary chances by going with a non-sponsor.

However, when BMWs marketing machine equates BMW ownership with "JOY", then it is the neurons in the emotional side of our brain that begin to crackle with energy. So, logic be damned!

Emotionally, I am not attracted to the more-affordable, more-common, more user-friendly LED CRTLs because here's how I "feel":

1. The inner trunk lights don't light up and I think that it would look great if they did.

2. The LED CRTLs, to me, resemble the tail light design of a pre-face lift E46. In keeping with the style of my car, I wanted to preserve the facelift tail light design.

3. The LED CRTLs are found on //M cars. But, I have a non-M car, so I don't want my 4-dr sedan to pose as if it was an //M.

4. When it comes to LED tail lights on an E46, everyone has these so these seem "common".

5. If given a choice between getting the LED CRTLs or just keeping my OEM Red/Amber/Red tail lights as is, I would opt to keep my OEM assembly intact.

Emotion trumps logic every time so despite their pleas to think this purchase over, I went ahead and placed my order. Give UMNITZA some integrity points here because they were right! Between the time you open the box and the time you install it, you will encounter several bumps in the road.

BUMP-IN-THE-ROAD #1
This is NOT a DIY project. After seeing this thread about guidance on installing this product, I could immediately tell that I needed an Electrical Engineering degree or at least needed access to a professional installer.

Title: DIY: 99-01 Sedan R/C/R LED Retrofit to 02-05 Sedan
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=640040

Fortunately, there is a great local business that handles all sorts of difficult installs, Invius Motorsports in Rockville, MD. I brought everything to them and, after several hours of wiring and work, they were able to successfully install them.

BUMP-IN-THE-ROAD #2
There is no back casing. One would certainly expect this to have a casing. Having exposed wires looks unprofessional and messy. I've attached pictures to show you this.

BUMP-IN-THE-ROAD #3
Your OE light assembly does come with a back casing. Further, the OE bulbs that are used to illuminate your trunk area are of the festoon variety (like 1" long cylindrical bulbs). Thus, lighting is ample. However, the type of trunk lights that comes with the LED RCRTLs are the miniature 164/198 wedge base bulbs. It's the same type that you'll find in your backseat reading lights and they don't give off much light at all. You will probably need to purchase a brighter bulb. And, getting a pair of LED bulbs would be ideal, but it adds to the overall total investment. See below for more info on this*.

BUMP-IN-THE-ROAD #4
The turn signal bulb is halogen. To create a uniform LED look, the true Fanatic will be compelled to replace this with an LED turn signal bulb. But, again, it adds to the overall total investment. See below for more info on this**.

BUMP-IN-THE-ROAD #5
Resistors are needed! You'll need 2 resistors for the LED RCRTLs (included with the purchase). AND, you'll need an additional 2 if you are going to install the LED turn signal bulbs. That's 4 total. And, resistors can reach temperatures of up-to-200-degrees F, so be careful where you secure them.

BUMP-IN-THE-ROAD #6
There is a not-very-noticeable-but-it's-certainly-there difference in LED illumination levels between the inner trunk lights and the outer part. Though I like to be thorough (as evidenced by my comprehensive posts), even I am not such a perfectionist to really care. However, to see a visual of this and how to sort-of fix it, please look at this thread:

Title: DIY: R/C/R LED bright trunk light FIXED!!! w/pics
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=535464

BUMP-IN-THE-ROAD #7
When you step on the brake pedal, the eye-level brake lights (the strip of lights at the top of the rear windshield) will come on a split-second before your main brake lights come on. Again, I am not such a perfectionist to really care. However, it is what it is and there is no fix for this.

* SUBSTITUTING THE DIM 164/198 WEDGE BULBS (in the back of the tail light assembly which lights up trunk area) WITH HIGH POWER LEDs:
Go order this: High Power SMD WLED-xHP9-T (194 type)
Go to this link: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...LED-WHP9-T.htm
Add'l Amount: $25.90 for a pair

** SUBSTITUTING THE HALOGEN TURN SIGNAL BULBS WITH LED BULBS:
Go order this: BAU15S-x18-T: 18HP-LED 1056 LED Tower bulb
Go to this link: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...U15S-x18-T.htm
Add'l Amount: $35.90 for a pair

SUMMING UP THE TOTAL INVESTMENT -
UMNITZA LED RCRTLs: $356.83 (includes 2 resistors)
LED Trunk Light: $ 25.90 (superbrightled.com)
LED Turn Signals: $ 35.90 (superbrightled.com)
6 Ohm 50w Resistors (x2) $ 9.90 (superbrightled.com)
Professional Install Labor: $120.00 (Invius Motorsports)
TOTAL INVESTMEMT: $548.53

And yet, despite all of the road bumps and the head-slapping and the additional steps needed to procure/arrange everything, I have to say that I am not only relieved but very happy with this unique mod. And, I think that's the point of modding. It's to achieve the Uniqueness Factor.

I liken this purchase to my love for my just-turned-3-years-old daughter. She's at that point where she does whatever she thinks she can get away with, she tries to push the envelope on what I will tolerate, and she wants me to pick her up and to pick up after her. Yet -- YET -- when you look into her eyes and she melts your heart with her beauty, all seems to be forgiven. Ok, so maybe you don't have a 3-year old daughter. Then picture this. You're with a beautiful girl that constantly demands attention and you wonder if what you do is ever really good enough. But when she slips on that curvy black cocktail dress to go out with you or wears your favorite lacey underwear just for you or holds on to your arm at a party to send a signal to others that you've got a winner on your hands, you realize that the pain is only temporary.

I definitely can't say that I'd recommend this to everyone. In fact, if you have a low tolerance for frustration or have a need to DIY or have a clamp on your budget, then going with the more readily-available LED CRTLs is perfectly fine. And, even if you do order this, know that there are many road bumps ahead, so proceed with caution and at your own risk. It's probably a product that, given its quirks, would appeal to about 20% of the Fanatics out there.

However, because I've done my research, I've battled through the challenges, I've orchestrated everything successfully like a decorated Field General and because the final product looks very nice, I "feel" that I've really accomplished something that few people have. Call it pride of conquering a challenge. Call it joy of putting it all together. Call it the Cool Factor of a little-seen mod. Call it a statement of your uniqueness. Whatever. There's no logic here. And. That. Feels. Great!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE LED Tail Lights.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	403227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior - UMNITZA RCR LED tail lights.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	403228   Click image for larger version

Name:	UMNITZA RCR back of drivers side light.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	403229   Click image for larger version

Name:	UMNITZA RCR back of passenger side light.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	403230  

Attached Images

Last edited by homeryen88; 05-12-2011 at 01:12 AM.
homeryen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Rajput

My Ride: 2001 325i 5MT
I have the same lights and I completely agree with all the issues or say "defects". I have a prefacelift 325i and my inner trunk pieces don't light up because there is no wiring for it anywhere in the trunk. And of course that annoying tail light out warning.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
those RCRs are awesome... if only the blinker had an LED board too

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
The lights look great, but too much hassle.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Riverbmr3

My Ride: MB E350 & BMW 325i
looks awesome, but $548, never mind...
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Make this simple plug n play, and do want

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
+1 simply plug-n-play + led turn signal + interior finished panel = would buy (but not for more than $250)

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine

You bought additional LEDs t0o get the inner brake lense to light up in LEDs?