E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
My Ride: Jet Black E46 M3
Khoalty Replacement Resistor / Ballast for Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights

Khoalty replacement Resistor / Ballast for Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights

Recently I was lucky enough to get sent a test set of these replacement resistors for my Eagle Eye LED tail lights. Iíve had EE tails for two years and the passenger side resistor that came with my tail lights had begun causing problems over the past couple of months; finally they failed a few weeks ago. Khoalty has been working on these for a while and I guess I contacted them at the right time.

When I first received the box I was surprised with the weight and bulk of it. As you can see from the photos, they were delivered in a replacement side grill box and they are fairly large. The first thing that I noticed was that the three individual resistors that come with the Eagle Eye set have been replaced here by one large steel cased resistor and one smaller black resistor.

The steel cases are very heavy and the screws do not tightly close the casing. Because of this, the casing rattles a bit. The rest of the kit is perfectly sealed and professionally made. I would say that the hefty steel makes it seem more durable, but really it made installation a bit difficult. I am not certain if the mounting holes on the casing were meant for zipties but the large flat surface made them hard to fit anywhere. I ended up buying some 3M tape and sticking them to the interior, like the previous resistors.

When I first plugged everything up and tested them the parking lights did not come on unless the blinkers or hazards were flashing. I swapped everything around to make sure that it wasnít a failure to install properly or that one of the new resistors was failing but everything seemed to be in order. I finally decided to start substituting old resistors that I knew still worked and bingo! The smaller black resistors supplied with the new set were somehow faulty. Luckily both of my old black resistors still worked so I plugged everything together and they work great!

I reinstalled my Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights, 3Míed the resistors, and Iím back in business! Iíve only had them in for a few days but they work great and I can see no difference in the brightness/operation of Tails with the new resistors.

I contacted Khoalty and let them know the issue I had so hopefully the next set will be perfect. Iím so happy that I was able to get these because I spent quite some time searching for replacements and no one else had them. I even tried to call and email Eagle Eye with no luck. If youíve had issues with the resistors like I have then youíll be happy to know Khoalty is working on bringing these out soon. They said that they will be selling for a fraction of the price of buying a whole new set.
Iíve never done a test product review but I figured Iíd rate them based upon quality, fitment, and operation.
Quality: 8 Iíd say to use some other lighter casing or at least seal the steel casing with silicon to prevent the rattling
Fitment: 10 They plugged right up to the same connectors with no cutting and the wire lengths still allowed for them to be easily mounted behind the trunk liner.
Operation: 10 The main resistors from EE that failed were replaced with a fully operational resistor from Khoalty.
JAndreF321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to lfhdez Send a message via Yahoo to lfhdez
Do you know if they ever came out with these just for regular purchase?

Transmitido en espaŮol por SAP
lfhdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
My Ride: 328i E46
I live overseas and my led tail light is dead now.... It's out of stock on Khoalty, is this other replacement option ??? I'll only need the black box.
v8_super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Replacement Led eagle eyes tail light ballast needed.

Friends Bimmers, when I bought my e46 was happy because she had taillights led, very beautiful.
The problem is that after a while with bad contact, stopped lighting the brake light and position. I disassembled everything and found that the defect is in a plastic sealed box, and I do not know what's inside.
Searching, I found that Khoalty came to manufacture a replacement ballast, but from what I saw, no more.
Does anyone know where to get the replacement ballast?
Does anyone have the schematic of what's inside the sealed box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150808-WA0001.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	609029  
Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Zero. Leaks.
My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
^ Please don't make a new thread regarding the same topic of a thread you just bumped.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
I received an email from Khoaliti confirming that ballast replacement are out of stock and will remain so until at least the end of the month.
Therefore strengthening the application of the electric scheme of ballast, or if someone have a spare and want to donate or sell, let me know.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
ima touching member
My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
i've had ee tails for 7 yrs , is this something sporadic?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
I did a test and warmed the ballast box with the hair dryer of my sister. Instantly the taillight lit.
Diagnosis, cold welding (or broken, do not know how to translate into English) ....
Now I have to figure out how to remove the polyester resin without ruining everything ... if that is possible.

ballast, eagle eye, khoalty, resistor