E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Epidemike

My Ride: 2004 330i
Brake squeal - Hawk Pads

I did a complete brake refresh on my E46 330i back in Jan. Now I have noticed that since its been warmer I have significant squeal at low MPH (1-25MPH).

I got the Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads, https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2772038/ , and made sure to lube on the glide rails. Not a crazy amount.

I used Zimmerman rotors, https://www.ecstuning.com/ES10490/, and I dont see/feel any warping.

Besides that I ordered the ECS bake kit and installed new bolts and guides as well as did a flush of brake fluid.

Like I said, the brakes were fine until it got warmer. Any ideas?

Last edited by Epidemike; 06-15-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Epidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Epidemike

Please
Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Some brake compounds are noisy, plain n simple. So there might not be anything you can do about it.

Did you lather up the backside of the brake pads with some type of gooey "Bake Quiet" ?

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & XI E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Epidemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Some brake compounds are noisy, plain n simple. So there might not be anything you can do about it.

Did you lather up the backside of the brake pads with some type of gooey "Bake Quiet" ?

Rob43
I used the packets that came with the pads. I debated on using some CRC brake quiet but I figured in this case to go with what was packaged with the pads.

From Hawk "Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 brake pads are formulated to produce and release extremely low levels of dust in normal street driving conditions while also being very quiet."

Maybe I reach out to them or ECS?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Phoenix1911

My Ride: 2002 M3
I've run the HP+ on my Z06 for HPDE days and they are very loud once I get a couple of trips into work after a track day. The compound is very hard and once you stop putting heat into it it wipes all the bedded compound off and then you start sounding like a city bus The HPS 5.0 are pretty close in makeup, however if they have been quiet until recently I'd wager that if you performed a re-bedding process they would be quite again for a period of time.
Phoenix1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Epidemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1911 View Post
I've run the HP+ on my Z06 for HPDE days and they are very loud once I get a couple of trips into work after a track day. The compound is very hard and once you stop putting heat into it it wipes all the bedded compound off and then you start sounding like a city bus The HPS 5.0 are pretty close in makeup, however if they have been quiet until recently I'd wager that if you performed a re-bedding process they would be quite again for a period of time.
Good point about re-bedding, I didnt think of that.

I checked the brake fluid the other and the level was fine.

They're great pads, especially I like the combo with the Zimmerman rotors. It's just that they're noisy.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
CrowsFeast

My Ride: 330CI ZHP
HP+ pads are stated to be a louder and more aggressive pad by Hawk, the HPS pads are supposed to be quiet. I had HPS pads with Zimmerman rotors on a different vehicle and they did not produce noticeable noise.

Have you tried re-bedding? What were the results?
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote