E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
benfisher22

My Ride: 2004 e46 330ci Sport
Bilstein vs. Koni

I need to replace my front struts, and I was wondering what everybody thinks of Bilstein vs Koni struts. Most people I've seen on the forum recommend Bilstein, but is that because it's just the best for the money, or because it's the best period? Konis are sometimes twice as expensive (the ones from Dinan are $240 compared to oembimmerparts Bilsteins for $100). What's the difference? Is Koni worth the money?
Also, anything I should know before I replace my struts? I'm doing the work myself but I'm not very experienced working with bimmers or e46s. Thanks
benfisher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
You are planning on replacing the rear shocks at the same time, Right ?

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 11-05-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #3
benfisher22

No, just the front.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfisher22 View Post
No, just the front.

That would be a mistake...

Rob43

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
benfisher22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
That would be a mistake...

Rob43
Why is that?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfisher22 View Post
Why is that?

Question: When getting dressed, do you put one shoe on only or do you wear both shoes at the same time ?

Rob43

Quote:
Old 11-06-2016, 02:20 AM   #7
yamman93

My Ride: 2006 330ci
I wouldn't say it would necessarily be a mistake to replace only the fronts. I mean it's safe to assume that if the fronts are bad then the rears are probably shot too but I replaced my rears first actually and didn't do the fronts for another month or maybe even longer. It really didn't seem like that big of an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.
yamman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Radnor

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamman93 View Post
I wouldn't say it would necessarily be a mistake to replace only the fronts. I mean it's safe to assume that if the fronts are bad then the rears are probably shot too but I replaced my rears first actually and didn't do the fronts for another month or maybe even longer. It really didn't seem like that big of an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Why give out bad safety information to someone? Give all the options you want on how you think some one else should do something, except when it's a clear safety issue.
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Bilstein vs. Koni

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamman93 View Post
Its not good for a couple of reasons these being the top 2
- increased stopping distance ( this happens because the weight of the car is not controlled as it should be)
-Dampers help keep the tires in contact with the road surface. Not having contact with the road after hitting even a small bump our pot hole can have dire consequences.

OP damper choose really depends on what you want to do with the car. I don't like to cheap out but my budget is very different from others.

- Koni Yellows(Adjustable) if you plan on lowering the car
- Koni Orange if you need to be cheap and lower the car or want to stay stock right height. Don't go lower then an inch or with race springs on these. You would want to keep it moderate on the drop/spring rate.
- Bilsteins B4's if you want to stay 100% stock

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 11-10-2016 at 05:55 PM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilstein, koni, struts, suspension