E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Arsenal2012

My Ride: 330xi
330xi Brake Line or Hose must have busted cant see it. PLEASE HELP. Pictures inside.

Hi,

Just a bit of info on the car first:
2001 330xi

So yesterday I went for a drive, all was fine. I get home, I remove the butterfly valve on my exhaust(it was stuck shut).

I pack up my car because I am on my way to my friends to switch out the rear shocks and springs. The second I take off I fee the brakes very spongy and I can press them to the floor. I then noticed the dash had a circle with triangle and exclamation point in the middle and also my BRAKE light was on.

I drove off to my friends to do the work anyway, nothing was going to stop me
We finished up the work when my friend then noticed fluid leaking from the passenger side behind the wheel in what seems to be the shroud for the wheel well. I put the car up on ramps(lots of oil spilled out now) to see if I could see where it was coming from but I could not find the leak. I also could not see a leak above in the engine bay.

My guess is because yesterday was the first day or hot/warm weather in Chicago that the fluids expanded and pressure built up and is the reason for the leak, wherever it may be.

So, my question is, what is behind the wheel well plastic brake wise, anyone have pictures?
What may be leaking, metal line?
Is there any DIY or info regarding this out there, if there is I have not seen it searching?

Please do not rag on me for not jacking the car up and unbuttoning her. I did not have the time and as it stands I do not have a garage, hence my friend helping me. I need to get an idea of what may be wrong so that when we get together again I have some sort of plan of attack. Thank You for any and all sincere advice and help.

Last edited by Arsenal2012; 05-25-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Arsenal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Arsenal2012

Can anyone confirm, is this what im going to see when I remove my wheel well liner?

The image is from a 540 that I found online.

I circled what appears to be brake lines.
Where can I buy these lines? I searched FCP Euro and ECS and did a search for brake lines but keep getting SS lines for the calipers.
Do these lines run to the box that sits in the far back behind the wiper fluid reservoir?
Are they hard to replace, has anyone done it?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Arsenal2012

I found the culprit!

Last time I checked I did not spot the oil under the abs module but it seems logical that it is leaking from this location.
There is a drain hole under the module which I did not know existed so the oil accumulated and trickled down the drain hole, behind the wheel well liner and then accumulate on the flat part of the liner. So when I put the car on ramps the accumulation on the liner spilled out.

There is no abs module light on so I am guessing I will be able to order the Module and pump together and then move my module to the "new" pump. My dilemma now is that I do not have the computer program to recalibrate the DSC/Abs or bleed the system properly

This is all good and bad news, bad news because it is going to cost me more money and time. Good news because my next project was to flush the brake fluid and replace all of my lines, rotors, pads and sensors. Bad news because now I have to bleed the pump and I don't have the equipment or know how to do that.

You can see the fluid in the second picture on the bottom.

Last edited by Arsenal2012; 05-27-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Arsenal2012

Fixed! Sorry I forgot to update but this was done last month.
For whatever reason the pump was leaking from the side. The module was OK still so I actually found a 325xi and used that pump but kept my module. You will need to determine which other modules or pumps are the same model for yours. The pump on the 325xi had a different part number but was the same type as the 330xi so just do some research.

I purchased the program from eBay for 35.
Total cost...
Used pump 75
Program 35
Fluid 10
6pack 8
Total approx 130 which beats the 400-1500 places want to charge.
It was quite simple after I knew what was going on.
Just disconnect the lines remove the unit transfer parts reinstall, hook up the computer and bleed the brakes.

Hopefully someone can use this info. There is a YouTube video of a guy doing it to his E90 and it is very similar.

Last edited by Arsenal2012; 08-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Your windshield wiper fluid is located behind the wheel well? Daf?

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Arsenal2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Your windshield wiper fluid is located behind the wheel well? Daf?
LMAO, no that was an image I found. I was using it because I thought that's how the brake line behind the wheel well would look.

Not sure what DAF is, Da Fuq (DAF)?
Old 08-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal2012 View Post
LMAO, no that was an image I found. I was using it because I thought that's how the brake line behind the wheel well would look.

Not sure what DAF is, Da Fuq (DAF)?

Yea I meant to say dafuq...autocorrect for the fail

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote