E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

My Ride: nada
Suspension Options/opinions...

I just found something on Turner Motorsports Homepage that I thought was very interesting. In their catelog section for suspension & wheels, click on sway bar kits and they have the following description.

"The next step in tuning your car's handling - after springs and shocks - should be a set of sway bars."

I'm currently about to enter a GB for a set of sways. Now I'm sure no harm will result from me going out of the order Will Turner says i should have, but any experts out there know of the reasons for his statement or think i should go that route???

TIA,

Eric
MillsBims is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:01 PM   #2
isaacly
eh.

My Ride: is VIPed out
Send a message via AIM to isaacly
get the sways.. it will help
Old 02-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
AJL

My Ride: 330CI
There is no "order", and it is fine to install swaybars without ever upgrading springs/shocks . I think Will Turner is just assuming that the shocks/springs upgrade is more "popular", and also there is a higher price point, hence greater profit with shocks/springs/coilovers. He is, after all, a businessman.
AJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 03:32 PM   #4
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

AJL, good point about him lookin for the $$$. I just wanted to know if anyone had any idea's why maybe it would be better to do the springs/shocks first.

Thanks again,
Eric
Old 02-02-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
Killer Junior
Damn Drivin' Fool!

My Ride: Big Wheel
Quote:
Originally posted by MillsBims
AJL, good point about him lookin for the $$$. I just wanted to know if anyone had any idea's why maybe it would be better to do the springs/shocks first.

Thanks again,
Eric
Samir at Renn-Sport recommends getting sways before springs, shocks or coils. But in all honesty, it really doesn't matter which you do first.

BMW is for pansy asses baby!
Killer Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
silver323i

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via AIM to silver323i
I don't think that it matters which you do first. Definately get the sways though, even if you don't get springs or whatever, it will make a bug difference.
silver323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
John from jersey
Creation awaits

My Ride: Gallardo, CLS55
didnt u or someone ask this very same question a few weeks ago?

John from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:52 PM   #8
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

not me... but i'm not too sure about someone else... I guess i'll do a search before all of my postings from now on....
Old 02-03-2003, 01:17 AM   #9
hayaku

My Ride: 02 M3 JB/BLK Cab
Send a message via AIM to hayaku Send a message via Yahoo to hayaku
Aftermarket suspension (coilovers) will help lower the car's center of gravity, adjust ride height, bound/rebound, weight balancing, and setting rake.

The most noticeable difference in "feel" is less squatting during launching or hard acceleration and less nose dives during hard braking. You will also feel better weight transfer when entering corners and lifting off the gas.

Sway bars will help with the side to side body roll, keeping the car flat in turns.

Like someone mentioned above, you can get sways now with stock suspension or with aftermarket. Still does the same job and you'll be glad you have them if you corner hard.

Hope that helps.
hayaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:16 AM   #10
drewcon
Bavarian Motor Slave

My Ride: 330ci
sways after springs.

theres blurb about why on the UUC page somewhere. In some situaitons too stiff sways on real soft springs/dampers could possibly lift a tire off the ground resulting in disaster.

Just get cupkit/coils while your at it.
drewcon is offline   Reply With Quote