E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
M_South_Afrikanna

My Ride: e46 325i
engine swap major problems help

Alright so I did an engine swap and based on what info I found, all I needed was a maf and the swap would work. but Im getting misfire errors and stuff. so far I've I figuared I will have to change out the tubing from the throttle body, and the air intake to the bigger one. I was wondering does the 330 motor have a bigger injectors? also I was told the motor should run without the flash just not optimally. I really need to get this thing running again.
M_South_Afrikanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
In order for anyone here to be able to help you, we need to know what you started with and what you swapped in. I'm guessing an M54B25 to an M54B30, but you never said exactly what.

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
M_South_Afrikanna

sorry yes thats what i swapped with. Im thinking that the problem was my intake manifold. since we put the 325 manifold on the 330. yah dumb mistake. so we're swapping the 330 one on and we're gonna see if that fixes the problem
Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
DarkSyde330ci

My Ride: COUPE
I don't think the issue is with the intakes, if the maf's were not the same I don't think they can just interchange. I'm sure it can't be just a direct engine swap but I may be wrong. It'll be nice to here the outcome for future reference.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
M_South_Afrikanna

supposedly it is. i need to get hold of someone who has done this before so I can talk to them but supposedly it is. well actually it is ive got everything in and it does start and idle. just not properly. im thinking its the injectors on the manifold and the shorter ram intake the manifold on the 330 has compared to 325.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
DarkSyde330ci

There are a lot of people who swap their 325 intakes for 330 intakes for more power. I don't think it'd affect the motor running wise, to have a 330 with a 325 intake maybe a couple ponies less but nothing you'd notice. You may check vacuum hoses or something might not have been plugged in from the swap but I don't think the intake is your issue. I have no idea about the injectors though. What codes is it throwing?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
M_South_Afrikanna

will its not the intake its the manifold. where the injectors go. thats the part im swapping out. I put the 325 manifold with injectors on the 330 so im thinking thats where the problem is coming from. so im changing the whole thing for the one that came with the motor. just means a lot of unplugging and replugging. fml
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
that's only the beginning. lol. you have only touched base on mechanical complications. wait until the electronics and software mess with you. are you using the ecu from the 330?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
DarkSyde330ci

Re: engine swap major problems help

These are almost the exact same engine I wouldn't think there would be any wiring conversion for a 330 motor. Dme and injectors not so sure

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
M_South_Afrikanna

darksyde is right actually numbaone. you dont need to swap the dme for it to work with the motor. actually you dont even have to flash the dme to 330. its a loss of responsiveness but the motor will still run.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
M_South_Afrikanna

like I posted originally i did have it running just a rough idle and an error code throwback. ill post up if the injectors are gonna be the problem. though its gonna be a week before i get to it i dont have time during the week
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
What are the actual codes? Misfires with a bad coil or two can cause rough idle. Post the specific codes and I think more people can help.

Last edited by Teddy7; 05-28-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
The 3.0L needs 20% more air and 20% more fuel at WOT than the 2.5L. So, you should put on the 330 intake manifold and fuel injectors. At lower throttle positions, I would assume that the 2.5L injectors and manifold can keep up. You probably just have a massive vacuum leak from something you forgot to connect.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
right.my bad,brain fart. question. what year bmw did motor come from
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
M_South_Afrikanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
right.my bad,brain fart. question. what year bmw did motor come from
lol its cool. the engine is the same year as the car though. I know that there is a difference between every motor after feb 03 and before tht date so I got the same year just to make sure it compatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
The 3.0L needs 20% more air and 20% more fuel at WOT than the 2.5L. So, you should put on the 330 intake manifold and fuel injectors. At lower throttle positions, I would assume that the 2.5L injectors and manifold can keep up. You probably just have a massive vacuum leak from something you forgot to connect.
yah I was thinking that. were gonna check it this weekend with some break cleaner and see if this the problem. that along with checking all the connections at the dme. and maybe swapping the injectors. though i found out from a fellow fanatic that did the swap that he is running all stock 325 manifold, intake, and injectors on his 330 swap with no problems or fault codes. so im thinking my problem is something else
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I'm kind of curious as to why your 330 engine came without the intake manifold and TB. Did someone beat you to it?

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
M_South_Afrikanna

actually it did come with it. but im not installing it until i buy the air intake whch is a different size to the 325 air intake and costs a bit of cash. but if things dont work out i might have to go ahead and pay the cash and spend the time swapping the whole manifold over