E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
pnasca

My Ride: E46 325i
Carbon Fiber Intake Vs. Cosmos Intake

Which one is better? Are they going to do the same, or is the cosmos going to let more hot air in?

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...W_CF_Intake_MW

this is the carbon one.

this is the cosmos racing one

http://cosmosracing.com/products1.html
pnasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I like the Cosmos a lot more, had the CF one and got rid of it for the Cosmos Racing one, neither do a lot for performance.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Ron@modbargains
Sponsor

My Ride: s2k/ae86
Send a message via AIM to Ron@modbargains
The CF intake - is a replica of the Gruppe M design - which is a proven winner on the dyno's and has proven to do some performance gains as well as suck in the air nicely. It looks nice, and isn't extremely expensive, there are some better performers out there like K&N, AFE and ECIS.

Cosmo's well - its a Filter and a plastic tube (maybe I am wrong, but it looks like the same design from the E36)- it should perform decently - I would say the same as getting any upgraded air filter - it doesn't look to me like it does much in terms of heat shield, or several other factors that go into building an intake - such as proper air flow - for air turbulence/MAF, a true CAI. That said I've never seen any independent dyno's or messed with the product myself, so I don't feel qualified at all to even talk about it - just my observations. They Cosmo racing intake has been around since mid 90's so its been out for awhile.

We Specialize In: BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust | BMW Wheels | BMW Accessories
Ron Hay
| Ron@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-6:00pm (PST) Sat 8:00am-5:00PM
Ron@modbargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I dynod my car with the cf intake and it had absolutely no power gain over a stock 325. The sound on both is amazing I prefer the sound of the cosmos and it is cheaper. Neither will give you a noticeable power increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron@modbargains View Post
The CF intake - is a replica of the Gruppe M design - which is a proven winner on the dyno's and has proven to do some performance gains as well as suck in the air nicely. It looks nice, and isn't extremely expensive, there are some better performers out there like K&N, AFE and ECIS.

Cosmo's well - its a Filter and a plastic tube (maybe I am wrong, but it looks like the same design from the E36)- it should perform decently - I would say the same as getting any upgraded air filter - it doesn't look to me like it does much in terms of heat shield, or several other factors that go into building an intake - such as proper air flow - for air turbulence/MAF, a true CAI. That said I've never seen any independent dyno's or messed with the product myself, so I don't feel qualified at all to even talk about it - just my observations. They Cosmo racing intake has been around since mid 90's so its been out for awhile.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
323ci Fanatic

My Ride: Black 323ci
can anyone describe the differences in sound? Is it a night and day difference or are they pretty similar? How much in % are they louder than stock?

Jase
323ci Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
KHOALTY, Inc.
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to KHOALTY, Inc.
Lets not forget about the whistling noise you hear when you are on the throttle cruising.

All intakes work the same, it just depends how much you want to spend, will you feel a difference in the car? Nope, the engines are fairly tweaked to the max as is.
KHOALTY, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote