E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
neil1138

Apexcone angel eye ballast almost caught my car on fire! What the heck!?

Well today my friends and I were having a photoshoot for our cars and then suddenly my passenger side angel eyes went out. We saw smoke coming from my hood and my friends yelled at me to turn the car off. When we opened the hood the ballast was smoking! When we touched it, it was so hot it burned my hand. I bought this angel eye and headlight setup from DDM Tuning around February and it has failed me within half a year. I'm not incriminating DDM or anything I'm just saying this because it happened 1 hour ago and they are closed. I'm hoping they will see this today so we can sort this out tomorrow morning. Those angel eyes were awesome, I can't believe this happened. Jim, help. Thank you.

Again, I'm not making this thread because I want some kind of compensation or something. I just want somebody from DDM to see this in advance so we can fix this tomorrow. I am not bashing anyone, everyone here knows that I respect this company and I'm confident that we can resolve this problem quickly.

Last edited by neil1138; 08-04-2008 at 10:05 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
did you install it yourself?

anyways, sounds like a short to me. should have blown the fuse, depending on how many amps you put in there. just so you know, it should be like 3 amps for the fuse.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
KHOALTY, Inc.
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to KHOALTY, Inc.
DDM will take care of you, they are great guys there. Have you tried emailing them?
KHOALTY, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
neil1138

The angel eyes were pre-installed in the headlights, all I did was wire them up using the harness included. I have already checked everthing and the inverter is to blame. I switched the inverters and sure enough, one of them blew up. I mean, it left burn marks on my windshield washer fluid reservoir. If I was driving instead of taking photos, I'm afraid this day would have been the end of my car. I just need new inverter-ballast thingys. I'm not afraid that DDM wont take care of this, I'm just letting them know in advance and letting the members know that those inverters are risky.

And to Khoa, I didnt think to email them, because they will only check it tomorrow and that is worthless to me. I will be calling them first thing anyways. But thank you for the gesture and telling me everything is going to be peachy. I was pretty freaked out that my car was going to burn down. Thankfully my friend had a fire extinguisher in his car. But we didnt have to use it.

Last edited by neil1138; 08-04-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
sillieidiot

did you insulate the wires by taping them up? also the connections as well. because if you didn't, over time they will eventually melt off due to the heat in the engine bay and potentially doing this.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
jsp98m3@DDM Tuning
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330Ci
We are always happy to provide great service. Call tomorrow and we'll take care of it free-o-charge.

Jim
jsp98m3@DDM Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
jsp98m3@DDM Tuning
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330Ci
ps: we always suggest mounting electronics away from plastic. Anything electrical will eventually fail. If it goes open it's fairly safe. If it shorts out, you are going to get some heat. I'm on my iPhone right now. But later I can explain why inverters are prone to shorts that don't always blow the fuse in the relay harness. Please avoid mounting any electronic device on or nea plastic.

Last edited by jsp98m3@DDM Tuning; 08-04-2008 at 10:36 PM.
jsp98m3@DDM Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
neil1138

I understand Jim but I dont know where else I was supposed to mount the inverter? The headlight backs up to the windshield washer fluid reservoir and there is very little space to put anything. I used the wiring harness that you provided me with so there wasnt very much length in wire to put the inverter wherever I wanted. Everything damn wire is wrapped in a protective shield thing. Its like a black plastic tube with a cut in it so you can push the wire inside. I did everything properly so... I was sure to not ghetto-rig anything cause I dont want my car to catch on fire. I just am shocked that something like this happened in such a short amount of time. Thank you for replying Jim, I appreciate it.

Neil

Edit: I looked at your post again and I noticed that it said dont mount the inverter close to any metal or plastic. I found that funny because everything in the engine bay is metal and plastic. And Jim, please dont take offense to me posting this thread. I achieved exactly what I wanted. For you to see this today so we could fix this first thing tomorrow. Thank you for listening

Last edited by neil1138; 08-04-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
sillieidiot

^^^ one reason is that the fuse is way too big, should be 3 amps. the old harnesses with the 2 glass fuses, were the safest ones and actually protected your car.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
I understand Jim but I dont know where else I was supposed to mount the inverter? The headlight backs up to the windshield washer fluid reservoir and there is very little space to put anything. I used the wiring harness that you provided me with so there wasnt very much length in wire to put the inverter wherever I wanted. Everything damn wire is wrapped in a protective shield thing. Its like a black plastic tube with a cut in it so you can push the wire inside. I did everything properly so... I was sure to not ghetto-rig anything cause I dont want my car to catch on fire. I just am shocked that something like this happened in such a short amount of time. Thank you for replying Jim, I appreciate it.

Neil

Edit: I looked at your post again and I noticed that it said dont mount the inverter close to any metal or plastic. I found that funny because everything in the engine bay is metal and plastic.
you could extend the wires from the harness to how you want them then continue from there. keeping them away from engine heat definitely helps. i would wrap the whole ballast in electrical tape then stick them on top of the headlight under the radiator support bar.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
neil1138

I inspected the angel eye wiring harness further and it looks like the wires messed up a bit. I dont know If I should make new wiring or if I should have a new harness sent? And the place where I had the inverters was on top of the headlight under the radiator support. I dont know if it shifted over time or whatever but the inverter is toast. And like I said before, everything is the way it came pre-installed by DDM! I didnt mess with the fuses or do anything like that. I dont know what the amps are, I just hooked it up using the harness that came in the box. That is all
Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #12
weisiong123

My Ride: 323ci
-____- I hope this doesn't happen to me..my lights have been working fine for a few months now...lets see in summer..or maybe its time to upgrade to LED's ... those function without inverters right?

Last edited by weisiong123; 08-05-2008 at 02:00 AM.
weisiong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #13
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
that's why i don't like CCFL anything. they get a mind of their own and try burning stuff down way too often.
deadpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 AM   #14
weisiong123

My Ride: 323ci
And what do you mean Apexcone angel eye ballast ?? From what I understand..the angel eyes sold with our p46 from ddm are generic brand..not MYCARR...

weisiong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #15
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
that's why i don't like CCFL anything. they get a mind of their own and try burning stuff down way too often.
lol, it could be a number or things. i've installed thousands of ccfl kits, only had a problem with 1 customer. much of the failures can be attributed to installer error. not saying that the product is perfect or anything either

Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 AM   #16
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
Well the inverters have a high current going through. And usually what causes it to short is moisture... if the packs weren't sealed correctly, and moisture goes inside. O damn... your going to get a short, and the next thing you know is a fire!

I hope this never happens to any of my vehicles.

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
neil1138

I mean Apexcone because on the inverter it says Apexcone cold start inverter. I think this has been figured out so we can let this thread die now.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #18
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
lol, it could be a number or things. i've installed thousands of ccfl kits, only had a problem with 1 customer. much of the failures can be attributed to installer error. not saying that the product is perfect or anything either
I honestly have no experience with CCFL for car lighting, but for computers they are the devil. They do the same thing as I hear about the angel eye ccfls. Just stop working and/or try to burn things.
deadpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #19
neil1138

damn, I tried to make a new sig and I just noticed that the picture is too big. Damn, I'll fix it tomorrow.