E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #21
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
The ground is the negative, and that was also where you put your relay w/ the black trigger wire.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #22
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by issacsierra06 View Post
i have some p46's from ddm , i tried installing cclfs but the aligator clips won't work with them?? so i take the ccfl tube out and put it behind the original angel eyes the p46's came with?
yes, exactly the same thing as what the OP is doing. be careful not to break the tubes, they are very fragile

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #23
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan99 View Post
Good Luck Preethm, but yeah I had the same problem at first with the 2nd ignition thing. But yeah like what sillieidiot said, first test to see if the angle eyes work. You can check this by placing the red trigger wire to the positive jumper, it should be in the DIY that I gave you, on how to check it.
i'm having his test the angels by bypassing the relay altogether first. then once we know they all work. do it again, the way you described to make sure the harness works.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #24
preethm

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325XI
Ahah! So I touched it to the positive terminal, and the negative to the car ground...but nothing..on either...soooo I was thining maybe the positive terminal isnt working...so I used the trunk positive/negative terminals (the actual battery)..and it worked! What the hell does that mean? I'm not getting any juice from the positive terminal in front... how do I fix that?
preethm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #25
preethm

issa...like he said... be careful... I used a tiny tiny tool I had but you can use an exacto knife...and carefully peel back the back panel piece...between the back panel and the plastic front is the circuit... be careful not to break it.... then after you get the tiny back panel off....break the alligator clip.... take out the circuit and wire..and place it in your p46's (behind the existing plastic cover).... not sure if that's explanatory or not... but you have to be careful or you will snap it.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #26
issacsierra06

My Ride: bmw 325i
thnks guys, sorry for butting in on ur post!! hope ur angel eye install goes smoother after this
Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 AM   #27
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by preethm View Post
Ahah! So I touched it to the positive terminal, and the negative to the car ground...but nothing..on either...soooo I was thining maybe the positive terminal isnt working...so I used the trunk positive/negative terminals (the actual battery)..and it worked! What the hell does that mean? I'm not getting any juice from the positive terminal in front... how do I fix that?
you probably just didn't get a good connection on the jumper points. it also depends on which you used. if you used the ecu trigger the first time and it didn't work, could be the fuse.

then used the footwell the second time, and that may explain why it went on, when tapped to the same source

Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #28
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacsierra06 View Post
thnks guys, sorry for butting in on ur post!! hope ur angel eye install goes smoother after this
all good, then i don't have to open a separate window on this crappy hospital computer to check for your response lol. i can't even type fast, too much noise for the people that are sleeping

Old 08-05-2008, 01:35 AM   #29
preethm

no... I am talking bout just the separate AEs... touching positive to the positive terminal under the hood does not work (with neg. touched to car body)... but when I use the trunk battery positive it works... is there any way i'm not getting juice in my hood positive terminal? car fuse gone or something?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #30
Dan99

You might not be getting a good connection with your ground wire, try a different location or try tightning that screw.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #31
preethm

Ah yes... thanks! I tried it again.. this time touching the OEM ground terminal bolt...touching that works perfect! however... the car body or even the 10mm bolt isnt working.... I will just connect the wire to the 12mm OEM ground instead...should do the trick.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 AM   #32
sillieidiot

Quote:
no... I am talking bout just the separate AEs... touching positive to the positive terminal under the hood does not work (with neg. touched to car body)... but when I use the trunk battery positive it works... is there any way i'm not getting juice in my hood positive terminal? car fuse gone or something?
are you touching both the jumper points to make a closed circuit? if you just touch the car, you have to sand/file down the paint to the bare metal. else you're not getting a good connection

Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 AM   #33
sillieidiot

Quote:
Ah yes... thanks! I tried it again.. this time touching the OEM ground terminal bolt...touching that works perfect! however... the car body or even the 10mm bolt isnt working.... I will just connect the wire to the 12mm OEM ground instead...should do the trick.
you're not supposed to use the 10mm bolt as the grounding point. it should be the OEM ground.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #34
Dan99

The DIY by fastM showed using the 10mm bolt and that's what I'm using and it's working fine.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #35
sillieidiot

yea i know, but that's not generally a good connection. i always go straight to the OEM point.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 AM   #36
preethm

Not sure if you guys ahve had a problem with this (issue #3 so far..haha), but I cannot get to the positive terminal behind the black plastic piece...after i disconnect the plug and try to lift the cap...it wont lift...can I just use the other positive terminal that is facing up? unscrew that bolt and use that?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #37
sillieidiot

just keep at it man. On some cars it is hard as hell to pull it. You will eventually get it.

You can use the other one, but you will have a fire or some other problem later on. Trust me, you don't want to do it lol.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #38
Dan99

Yeah that part took me awhile too. The plastic peice, the whole peice should just go up vertically. Also there is a small button towards the bottom of the plastic peice that goes through the metal, so make sure you get that out of the way when trying to take the black plastic+ off.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 AM   #39
sillieidiot

and take off the hood shock sensor while you're at it

Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #40
budwab

My Ride: 330D
So will LED angel run straight off any 12v switched supply....i.e. without the relay harness ??
What is the relay harness for....sorry to ask a noob question, but you guys know your stuff
budwab is offline   Reply With Quote