E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
neil1138

Car jerks around 50mph or during highway acceleration. Problem existent for a month

Well guys, I was hoping the car would throw a SES light but it hasnt for the past month. Here's the run down...

Car drives perfect during city driving but when I get right to 50mph and I am accelerating slightly, the RPM's jerk about 50 RPM's up and down as they go up. The car gains speed and everything, it just doesnt want to accelerate. It's almost like the car is misfiring and it is the same feeling. I know it doesnt have anything to do with the tranny so I have come up with a list of other possible problems:

1. Fuel pump
2. Fuel pressure regulator
3. Camshaft position sensors
4. Ignition Coils

I have already replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs since they were the cheapest. And NO, the car hasnt thrown a CEL or SES light. I simply am tired of waiting for one to be thrown and I want this problem fixed. I cant even drive on the highway because my car wont accelerate past 50mph. Well... if I am really on the gas, it will do just fine without missing. But if I am light on the gas, it will act like it is misfiring. Please help me.

I'm leaning towards ignition related but I dont know if it has anything to do with timing or fuel. It just seems as though it only does it at 50mph and up or when the engine is under load at those speeds.

Edit: I remembered that sometimes when I start the car, the SES light will flash on for a sec while all the other lights are going on. And sometimes it never lights up. I mean, you know when you turn your car on and all the dash lights come on then turn off like a split second later? yeah, like that. And YES, I do have a code reader and I have checked and no codes were present. I have checked like 20 times

Last edited by neil1138; 08-05-2008 at 06:43 PM.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
neil1138

Help please. Anybody?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
DBLAZE

My Ride: is Fern Green!
Send a message via AIM to DBLAZE
At first it sounds like your car is in some sort of limp mode meaning possible transmission wear, but I think that type of limp mode is slower than 50mph...I'm not too sure. Other than that it could be your ECU malfunctioning! You said you were getting some lights on the dash and if your ECU isn't working correctly; then the code reader won't be able to get codes from the ECU, hence no SES light. Just a thought.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Fern Green 323ci - SOLD
DBLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
neil1138

I know there isn't any problem with the transmission because if it was slipping it would go into "limp home mode". And the lights? Please read the entire post man, I clearly stated that the SES light would turn on for a split second while all of the other instrument cluster lights came on WHEN I TURN THE CAR ON. You know how the car checks itself when you turn it on? Yeah, sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it doesn't. And back to the tranny, I know it's not transmission related because it doesn't happen when I'm going 45mph, and I thought the second the ECU sensed the Tranny slipped, a dash light comes on and the car goes into 3rd gear or something? And my ECU isn't screwed up, otherwise wouldn't 10 other things be failing? Im not sure if I'm right, I'm just guessing
Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
neil1138

I hate bumping but I really need somebody to help me.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06

How many miles are on your car??????? Check your O2 sensors. You have 4 of them. 2 pre-cat and 2 post-cat.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 08-06-2008 at 09:28 AM.
phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
neil1138

Well I am at 127,000 miles. I have never heard of O2 sensors causing a car to act like it's misfiring during highway driving. And I thought if they really were screwed up, a SES light would come on and I could get a code. Thing is, I know there is a problem but Everytime I scan, I don't get any codes and there is no SES light.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
hmmm....this is a tricky one...bad gas could be another thing you might want to consider looking into....without codes its pretty hard to tell what the issue is....you pretty much named all the possible issues...i dont know what else it could be...do you have an cold air intake? could be a bad MAF???...or maybe you have a intake hose broken that goes to the throttle body...when going over 50mph those intake hoses are receiving a lot more air then when your driving slower...the pressure of the air could be opening a small crack in the hose that closes in low speed.....im sorry i cant help you out...im stumped myself
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
neil1138

I have a Dinan CAI. It's been on my car for about a 1,000 miles. I guess it could be the MAF... I'm also thinking it could be a vacuum leak of some type. I have already replaced my VANOS seals so. BUT sometimes at idle my RPMs dip just a bit, not as bad as the VANOS problem but more like vacuum leak type.

How do I check for vacuum leaks?

And it's pretty unlikely that I have bad gas for one month...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
neil1138

bump. I really need help
Old 08-07-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
It does sound like some kind of vacuum leak, now that you've mentioned dipping rpms at idle. Best way to check is to do a smoke test, but some can get away with using carb cleaner.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
carb cleaner....turn the car on and spray it all over the intake tubes...if your engine idle drops then thats the carb cleaner getting into the throttle body because of a hole in the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
I have a Dinan CAI. It's been on my car for about a 1,000 miles. I guess it could be the MAF... I'm also thinking it could be a vacuum leak of some type. I have already replaced my VANOS seals so. BUT sometimes at idle my RPMs dip just a bit, not as bad as the VANOS problem but more like vacuum leak type.

How do I check for vacuum leaks?

And it's pretty unlikely that I have bad gas for one month...
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
neil1138

bump
Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Does the bump mean you already tried the vacuum leak test and nothing happened? Or you just want to get more ideas? Do that easy thing first.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
neil1138

I want to get more opinions. The vacuum leak thing is probable but not very likely. It just seems weird that my tach does this madness. I want to be able to go as fast as I want to go. Not be afraid of going over 50mph. please help me everybody
Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #16
JoeBoxer

My Ride: Ottabahn
Hi Neil,

There has been multiple suggestions to help you and us diagnose and eliminate possible issues. It is true that the lack of check engine light doesn't help the matter one bit. You will need to start providing us with results from your testings that some members have suggested. Such as using TB cleaner externally to see if the rpm dips as part of the vacuum leak test.

Vacuum leak is a good possibility - and smoke test, if you smoke, or carb spray would help to ID that.

You mentioned that your car doesn't reach or exceed 50mph. In park, what is the maximum rpm you can obtain? And does it behave the same way when trying to rev in park.

Is your 328 auto or manual?
If the problem occurs at the same RPM in each gear, then you can eliminate your tranny. Try reving your engine while in park or neutral.

Do you notice DSC or ASC lights flashing when accelerating past 50mph?
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
neil1138

No, no, no. My car can go as fast as I want it to go. Its just that when i start inching up on 50mph, the RPMs are jerky and it feels as though the car is misfiring. I just dont LIKE to go over 50mph because of this problem.

Suppose this:

You are accelerating, the spedo is reaching 50mph and the tach is at about 2,000 RPM. When you reach ~50mph, your tach starts to jerk a little as it rises and your speed increases, it just feels as though the car is misfiring and if I step on the gas hard, the car powers through it and i can go as fast as i want. The car does fine when im coasting or accelerating hard, its when im barely accerating like normal city acceleration, that the car acts like its misfiring at speeds above 50mph.

Last edited by neil1138; 08-08-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
First, shrink ur sig jus a little. My laptop has a small screen and it's pain scrolling left and right to read your post.

Second, I think someone already asked but is ur car an auto or manual?

Third, see if any of these issues match yours. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=fuel

Good luck
Old 08-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
neil1138

ok, fixed my sig. And my car is an auto.

And I looked at your thread, and I dont have any of those problems. thanks for the heads up tho.

Last edited by neil1138; 08-08-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #20
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Ok, describe the problem a little more detailed... like does this happen while you're flooring it only? Does it happen even only at half throttle? Is it like a pulsing jerk or does it just dip once and then continue as normal? Does it sound like that if you just slowly apply throttle in a parked situation?\

EDIT: ok re-read your posts....does this happen even on a full tank of gas?