E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Complete: Genuine M3 Mirror Install with Autofold Retrofit & 12pin to 6pin conversion

GENUINE M3 MIRROR RETROFIT WITH AUTOFOLD FUNCTION

This is my latest project, a retrofit that I wanted to do from the first day I got the car. It took me a very long time to get the right set of mirrors, relatively low price and to sort all the little things that must be done to allow them to fold/unfold on my car. Special thanks to Simon (320de47m47) for supplying the mirrors and his guidelines to make everything work.

This project was done on my 2001 E46 320CI. Manual seats (no memory), No autofold feature (module or switch). This car comes with a 6-Pin mirror plug. The objective is to make the mirrors to fold upon pressing the button on the mirror switch. The module I bought offers a variety of methods to make the mirrors fold, such as when the lock/unlock is pressed on the key, etc. The mirrors I got where the 12-Pin type, which I had to convert to match my car's plugs (6-Pin)

Parts List:
Genuine M3 Mirrors with Autofolding functionality. Colour coded: 364 - Topaz Blau
Genuine Mirror Switch (2 Plug / T-Shape) with Autofold button
Innoparts SAM 1.0 Mirror Folding control Module
Plugs

Tools List:
Multimeter
Soldering Station
8mm bit
10mm bit
Flathead screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
Drill with 5mm bit
Torx T20 bit for door panel removal

Disclaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk. You will deal with door panels which have airbags installed, mess with the car's wiring harness, which may become damaged if done incorrectly. For your own safety, disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes before starting this kind of work.

Difficulty level: 5/10
Time: 6 Hours

Let's start..

Genuine M3 Mirrors, colour code 364 (Topaz Blue)

The Innoparts' SAM Folding control module

Remove both door cards. There is a DIY on my and this site how to do that so I will not get into details. 5 Torx screws and 21 plastic pins hold the card in place

Remove the steering column cover by removing the 3 philips screws, clutch stop, and 1 push/lock pin. Disconnect the foot light, OBD port and the buzzer for the parking sensors. All plugs are not the same hence you can't connect something wrong. Let the cover drop and place it somewhere out of your way.

Remove the glovebox on the opposite site. It's held by 4 philips screws on the bottom and 2 plastic pins (1 left strap, 1 right plastic holder)

Remove the dash trim to gain access to wires and power.

With glovebox removed, you can see the route of the wires

Now, remove the door card and the mirror bolt cover (just pull it while pushing it upwards). The 2 10mm mirror bolts are revealed.

Old mirrors removed and placed next to new ones

Now the fun part begins.

Time to run the SAM module wires, from the center dash to both right and left sides. On the right part (Driver's side) 3 wires must go because the mirror switch is there too. (2 wires for mirror motor and 1 for signal from mirror switch)

Must go through here

Wiring harness removed and a thick wire is used that will fish the smaller wires.

Same for the opposite side (passenger's side)

Fishing of wires begins

Use the same method to pass the wires inside the door now! I took this picture, it's from the inside of the door

Pull the thick wire until the SAM wires come out

Now once all wires are in place, it's time to do the mirror plug conversion.

Left: Old Mirrors. Right: New M3 Mirrors

Labeling which goes where. Below the conversion is described better.

Brown, Black, Grey, Red, Green will go to 6 Pin plug, Orange,Pink,White are not used, and Blue,Thick White are the fold motors' wires

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
paraklas

If you had memory seats these wires would be used.

Remove the 6 pin plug white cover

Remove the 12 pin plug housing

Now the wires are ready to be removed from each plug. Each pin is individually labeled so you can't miss it.

12 Pin ---> 6 Pin

#3 Red --> #4 Red
#4 Green --> #3 Green
#5 Black --> #1 Black
#6 Gray --> #5 Gray
#7 Brown --> #2 Black

After a while, I managed to transplant the wires from the 12 pin plug to the 6 pin plug as seen below.

Sealing not used wires

These two wires will be connected to the SAM module

Pressed and soldered plugs on the 2 wires

The mirror switch. The fold button sends a signal on pin 6. This pin must be connected to the input of the SAM module (to receive the signal). The 6-pin plug is blank on pin 6, therefore, I cut one of the unused wires (pink or orange or white) from the mirrors to use the plug

White wire slides in place.

Connecting the wires together

Wires coming from SAM module

Connecting the wires for testing. This time I secured the M3 mirrors on the car too. Same bolts as the old ones.

You have a few options where to get power from. I chose the easy way. The radio lines. With a multimeter, it's a mater of 1 minute to find a constant 12v, switched 12v source and ground. You can also use the BCM - Body control Module (shown later) to get power from.

This is the connecting schema from Innoparts. Translated from German

And the final results:

Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Fantastic write up!

Awesome job!
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
320de46m47

My Ride: 320D Touring
just awesome !!!
no one does better write ups.
my old mirrors look ticketyboo in blue don't they!!
320de46m47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Titansilber330D

My Ride: 330D Sport
Hi found this thread based on 320de46m47's recommendation. I have the SAM wired up and the mirrors fold and unfold when using the button connected to the Brown/Black SAm wire. The problem I am having is that when my car is locked with the mirrors unfolded, when I unlock the car they fold up which is I believe is due to the Brown/Red wire connected to pin 51 (blue wire) door lock signal wire. The wire is supposed to send a positive pulse which would cause the SAM to unfold the mirrors if folded, but should not cause them to fold if they were previously unfolded.

Could you please verify how you have connected the Brown/Red wire and whether or not your mirrors unfold or fold when you unlock the car.

I have had to pull the fuse from the SAM module for now as it is a bit ridiculous having the mirrors fold up whenever I open my car.
Titansilber330D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
paraklas

Hi.. I haven't used this feature of SAM because most of the times it's not necessary to fold the mirrors, so what's the point to add extra wear/tear on the motors? I haven't looked very deep reg. the SAM module to say for sure why it's acting like that in your case. GL!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
hmmmm...i didnt know that the oem m3 mirrors had the motor inside to fold the mirrors...i thought only replicas did i learned something new today....great write up...very detailed..awesome.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
320de46m47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansilber330D View Post
Hi found this thread based on 320de46m47's recommendation. I have the SAM wired up and the mirrors fold and unfold when using the button connected to the Brown/Black SAm wire. The problem I am having is that when my car is locked with the mirrors unfolded, when I unlock the car they fold up which is I believe is due to the Brown/Red wire connected to pin 51 (blue wire) door lock signal wire. The wire is supposed to send a positive pulse which would cause the SAM to unfold the mirrors if folded, but should not cause them to fold if they were previously unfolded.

Could you please verify how you have connected the Brown/Red wire and whether or not your mirrors unfold or fold when you unlock the car.

I have had to pull the fuse from the SAM module for now as it is a bit ridiculous having the mirrors fold up whenever I open my car.
had a little think about that and i think you can forget the red and brown wire as Paris says ...unless you use some zener diodes to separate
Old 08-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Titansilber330D

My Ride: 330D Sport
Thanks for the quick reply. I will just disconnect the red/brown as it seems to be more trouble than it is worth. Still would like to find out how to fold/unfold using the remote as the SAM instructions seem to suggest, but I don't hold out any hope of them providing clear instructions on using that feature.
Titansilber330D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
320de46m47

this was my original diagram but ended up not using the diodes brown/ red wire at all..
no doubt someone has though? wasnt it daytonaviolet who did the zenere diodes or possibly alex or ivegotissues (but not with the SAM module I think they had memory seats)??

paris' use of the radio cables much better idea than mine btw!

where did you put the module Paris also btw?

Last edited by 320de46m47; 08-08-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 AM   #11
Wolverine_1999

My Ride: A Car
Excellent work! This will definately come in handy
Wolverine_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Very nice DIY!

Man do I miss my M3 Rep Autofolding mirrors

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
Stormos

My Ride: Not alot!
i MUST get these at some point
Stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
cartabus

My Ride: BMW 318ti se compact
Hi i like the GENUINE M3 MIRROR RETROFIT WITH AUTOFOLD FUNCTION it`s fantastic,how you did it.
I have a question cos i got a BMW 318 e46 compact and i`m will be fitting M3 style mirrors.ok my question is do i need the control module to make all this conversion work, or is the control module just for igniton key and button on the key to make them fold??i`m not sure i explad this right,but i hope you know what i mean cos i orderd the mirrors now and it`s to late to go back now..thanks look forward to hear from you..
Cartabus...
cartabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #15
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartabus View Post
Hi i like the GENUINE M3 MIRROR RETROFIT WITH AUTOFOLD FUNCTION it`s fantastic,how you did it.
I have a question cos i got a BMW 318 e46 compact and i`m will be fitting M3 style mirrors.ok my question is do i need the control module to make all this conversion work, or is the control module just for igniton key and button on the key to make them fold??i`m not sure i explad this right,but i hope you know what i mean cos i orderd the mirrors now and it`s to late to go back now..thanks look forward to hear from you..
Cartabus...
If you ordered the autofolding mirrrors and want them to autofold, then you have to buy the SAM1.0 module (www.innoparts.de) and the mirror switch with fold button (dealer).

Quote:
i`m bying the M3 style auto fold from this company,maybe you have time and have a look tell me what you think pls.this is the weblink were i both them from,for a BMW Compact(http://www.bmstyling.co.uk/E46Exterior.htm) they said to me all i need to make the autofold work is get an eletric window switch and that should do for them to fold in and out the mirrors.but i have to say when i sow your DIY job 2 days later after i orderd and payed for these mirrors,i was amazed.and i kind of like thigs on my BMW to look as good and as best,and your`s stands out by a mile..so if it was you telling me what do,what you think i should do pls?go with the simple eletric window swith choice or your M3 MIRROR RETROFIT..?Thanks once again for your help and replay,look forward to your advice on what i should do..
As I said, you can't fold the mirrors with only the switch. If your car did not come with the folding mirrors from factory, then you are missing the fold module. From what I see in the website, the mirrors will be 6-pin so you can skip the pin conversion, but I'm afraid you will have to do the rest of the steps
Old 09-16-2008, 03:50 AM   #16
-Jay-

My Ride: 06 X3 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to -Jay-
awesome write up. this'll come in handy when i buy m3 mirrors
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
cartabus

My Ride: BMW 318ti se compact
Hi paraklas ok thanks for your time and help fingers crossed and legs i will get this conversion right..thanks.....
cartabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Nice write-up

Where can you get a Innoparts SAM 1.0 in North America? Are there alternatives to that?
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
320de46m47

hey now the shoe's on the other foot!! hahaha do you know how often someone in europe wants something from america?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320de46m47 View Post
hey now the shoe's on the other foot!! hahaha do you know how often someone in europe wants something from america?
Well most aftermarket stuff for the e46 comes from asia anyway... I dont see why there arent more europeans importing...

Anyway....
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote