E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
320de46m47

My Ride: 320D Touring
one word..tax
if you do me an elk 800 amp in a plain box home wrapped, ill do you a sam module
the sam is a little more money
pm me and well work something out

Last edited by 320de46m47; 10-16-2008 at 11:09 AM.
320de46m47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #22
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320de46m47 View Post
one word..tax
if you do me an elk 800 amp in a plain box home wrapped, ill do you a sam module
the sam is a little more money
pm me and well work something out
PM sent
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
KYC

I've just bought some mirrors. Anyway to test if they are functioning correctly? I don't wanna buy everything just to find out they don't work well... Maybe plug it to a battery or something? Directives for dummies would be great!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #24
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
a battery will be fine. You can test the folding motor by supplying 12v to the thick blue wire and to the white wire to unfold (or vice versa). Rest of the wires are for up/down/left/right and heating function which you can also test with a battery.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #25
KYC

Urghh.... I don't have a blue wire, the previous owner did a hack job on it, and there are just no blue wire... Are there supposed to be two motors in the mirror, one in the middle for the glass, the other in that black housing in the joint so that it folds? I took apart the black housing and there's no motor in there.... I have a big feeling mine aren't folding ones...
Old 10-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #26
KYC

edit: nvm found my answer

Mine aren't autofold...

Last edited by KYC; 10-25-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
toffa

My Ride: 320ci
Send a message via MSN to toffa
it is possible to add the original memory module?

so, only to plug the V12 of the battery to the mirror is it possble to test it on his function?

Last edited by toffa; 11-07-2008 at 02:04 PM.
toffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #28
e46addicted

My Ride: E46 320CI 2000
Paraklas Thread Revival :)

Hi to all

I'm in the process of doing the retrofit in my 99 coupe, and i followed Paraklas DIY, except for two things that i've done in a different way :

1/ The power feed to the SAM module :
My Radio power lines have already the DICE iPod and the Parrot CK3000 Evo/Connects2 interface connected to them, so i can't add another device. I went the fuse box route. Used fuse locations 4 (Ignition switched 12v) and 40 (permanent 12v) that had no fuse and only one brass connector. SAM module red wire goes to 40 and light blue goes to 4. That way i'm not overloading any circuit or component of the car. I'm still testing and didn't route all the wires. I connected a bulb to the SAM's Blue and Green wires (supposed to go to the Mirror fold motor) and when i connect the SAM(s Brown/Black wire to ground point the SAM's Relays act and the bulb lights up for about 2-3 secs. So that part works fine.

2/ The unfamous/scaring SAM's Brown/Red wire :
This wire is supposed to get a short 12v signal when car is locked or unlocked. As someone said above, he connected this wire to the BCM module 54pin connector blue wire, and when his mirrors are unfolded and he locks the car thje mirrors fold up. That's a problem. The blue wire in the BCM has 12v when the car is unlocked. There is a white wire that has 12v when the car is locked. If connect the Blue and White wire together to the SAM's Brow/Red wire, whenever the white gets 12v the blue gets it too, and vice versa. No Good !!! So ...I must isolate blue and white ... Without diodes ...
I got female blade connectors and a Bosch 30amp SPDT relay. The relay has 5 pins :

pin 86 Ground
pin 87 Perm 12v
pin 30 Output 12v
pin 85 12v trigger
pin 87a 12v Trigger

I tapped a black wire in the SAM's Black wire and connected it to pin 86 of the Relay.
I tapped a red wire in the SAM's Red wire and connected it to pin 87 of the Relay.
I connected SAM's Red/Brown wire to pin 30 of the Relay.
I tapped a blue wire in the Blue wire of the BCM and connected it to pin 87a of the Relay.
I tapped a white wire in the White wire of the BCM and connected it to pin 85 of the Relay.

I will do some extensive testing this week-end. I want to know if the Red/Brown wire is disabled 60sec after ignition is on, like the Brown/Black wire is. My concern is : if my car is locked with the mirrors folded up, they will unfold when i unlock the car, but will they stay unfolded as i drive away or will they fold up again when my doors autolock at 20kmh .....

Many thanks to Paraklas

Any suggestions and comments are welcome !

- '99 323CI Euro Spec - Tit. Silver - K&N CAI - VMR CSL 18s - MTech II Side/Rear - CSL rep fr bumper - CF Door Handles & Trunk Handle - Predator Chromiums 6K - Xenoflo 6K HID - EE LED Tail Lights - OEM Clear Sidemarkers & fronts - UUC RK6BL Shift Knob & E-Brake handle - Autolumination Interior LEDs - UUC Clutch Stop - Parrot CK3K Evo - IV2 - JBL 300W bridged amp - Sony 500W Sub in custom enclosure - OEM 16:9 NAv Retrofit - Rev Camera

Last edited by e46addicted; 11-28-2008 at 04:21 AM.
e46addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:31 AM   #29
e46addicted

My Ride: E46 320CI 2000
Detailed and Vrified Info on Innoparts SAM 1.0 Module

Hi again

I received my SAM module without any instructions/Diagram, and i followed Paraklas instructions on Page 1 of this thread, but even with the help of Paraklas, the features of the module were not clear to me.
After an intensive testing, here are my results, for those interested by the way rthe SAM works/is intended to work :

1/ The SAM's Light Blue wire :
This wire must be connected to Ignition switched source only if you are planning to use the positive trigger wire (Brown/Red), if not it is useless to connect it.

2/ The SAM's Brown/Black wire :
As Paraklas did, this must be connected to pin 6 of the Euro switch and is activated by a single short press of the fold button on Euro Switch. First press will fold mirrors if unfolded and unfold if folded. The SAM has an internal memory that stores the last mirrors position, so no unwanted attempts to fol when already folded or to unfold when already unfolded (German State of Mind ).
This negative trigger wire is ALWAYS enabled, ignition ON or OFF, Light Blue wire connected or not. If you are parking your car in a very tight place, you'd like to be able to fold them while car is running .... Once more ... German Logic ...

3/ The Brown/Red wire :
This wire is intended to be connected to the WHITE wire (Lock 12v signal) of the 54pin connector of the General Module, not to the BLUE wire (Unlock 12v signal). So no Relay or Zeiner Diodes needed here, they will be useless. If you leave the car and lock it (with remote or key in keyhole), if the mirrors are folded they will stay folded, if they are unfolded they will fold upon locking. When you unlock your car, mirrors WILL NOT UNFOLD (German Logic, u don't want to unfold your mirrors on a car that has come and parked very close to yours).
The tricky part here is, if you get in your car, unfold mirrors manually, turn on engine and drive away in less than 60sec, there will be a risk of your mirrors folding when you doors autolock at 20kmh. So be careful with that if you have the Autolock doors at 20kmh activated.

Thanks for your patience and hope it helps

- '99 323CI Euro Spec - Tit. Silver - K&N CAI - VMR CSL 18s - MTech II Side/Rear - CSL rep fr bumper - CF Door Handles & Trunk Handle - Predator Chromiums 6K - Xenoflo 6K HID - EE LED Tail Lights - OEM Clear Sidemarkers & fronts - UUC RK6BL Shift Knob & E-Brake handle - Autolumination Interior LEDs - UUC Clutch Stop - Parrot CK3K Evo - IV2 - JBL 300W bridged amp - Sony 500W Sub in custom enclosure - OEM 16:9 NAv Retrofit - Rev Camera
e46addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #30
SherPunjabi

My Ride: 2000 Dinan 323i
Hi Everyone...I'm a noobie to this forum & have recently started on the retofit folding mirrors DIY project for my 2000 Dinan 323i sedan. I have the mirrors and switch, but wanted to know how to purchase an Innoparts Sam module. I do not have power seats and looked at the existing wiring in the door..seems like I need that module to connect my power mirror wiring to the folding mirror switch. Do I need to install the Sam module if I only want to use the button on the Euro mirror switch for folding - not folding with arming/disarming? Any and all help/ideas would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Thanks a lot!!
SherPunjabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #31
paraklas

Easiest way to buy one is to e-mail them and they will send you a paypal invoice where you can pay it using your CC. Their packing & delivery speed is excellent too.

You can use the SAM module with the fold button on the mirror switch only (like I did) or combine it with lock/unlock through the remote.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #32
summit425

My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
great DIY. Thank you!!
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #33
adrian320

My Ride: 2002 2.2L I6 Sedan
I'm retrofitting to my Sedan, so my question is how long are the (2) 10mm bolts that hold the coupe/M3 mirrors in its place?? Sedan have (3) T30 Torx screws and are about 3/4" long but I donīt think using two of them gives me the same holding force. Thanks.

No, no, there is no climate change, it just getting hotter and hotter....and hotter. Yeah, right!?!!?
adrian320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #34
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Hey cat,
I heard that from those eBay.co.uk sellers that the mirrors will tilt on the driver's side. But I figured something out. The memory/tilt function is not in the mirror it is in the door modules. Meaning the mirror by itself should not just tilt when it senses reverse, but the memory module tilts what ever mirror is on the designated tilt door. The titling function is not in the mirror but in the memory module which also allows the mirror to have memory imprints and allows for a power folding motor to fold when the folding switch is present in cunjuction with the actual power folding motor on the mirror unit. Alot of UK sellers make a big deal about the NEAR SIDE / OTHER SIDE (or FAR SIDE) differences but I think going from the way the circuit is set up and the plug and play ability of adding the powerfolding mirrors it should tilt on the correct side base on what the module in your door tells it do. The mirror is just the arm that moves but the module is the brain that tells it how and when to move.
That said I noticed that the parts numbers are very different for the same BMW E46 in the USA (Left Hand Drive) and Europe (Right Hand Drive).

UK Car
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=51&fg=10

USA Car
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=51&fg=10

So that may mean something....
but if you get those mirrors at a good deal (under $500 for the pair) then do it!

Worse case you can always sell them back on eBay and recover what you paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87
Hey man,

We've been back and forth a bit on the forums and in pm's....

If I get a set of 04-06 coupe 2dr power mirrors from the uk, will my passenger mirror fold down? Some people say that my driver will fold down (being the passenger on the uk car).

And will this plan work? Any insight?

Cheers

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #35
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Mirrors for left hand drive cars in the US are different to mirrors for right hand drive cars.
The actual mirror housing itself on the passenger side is at a slightly different angle than the driver's side.
Have a good look and compare your mirror housings and you'll see the difference in angle between the two.
Everything else is the same between right and left hand drive mirrors, motors, memory modules, mirror glass etc. it's the angle of the housing that's different.

Last edited by Darkoz; 10-21-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #36
RIZ_K

My Ride: nothing at the min
can i follow this guide for the nine wire e46 sport elec folding mirrors
RIZ_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #37
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZ_K View Post
can i follow this guide for the nine wire e46 sport elec folding mirrors
Meaning you want to replace your existing already folding mirrors with the M3 ones? should be an easy task
Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #38
tavuslokus

My Ride: Steel Grey FTW
Good write up!...Tks Paraklas

Anyone know is there are now local US re_sellers or has someone found any ebay links??

Canīt think of having to pay what the module is valued just for shipping...

Tried Innoparts website contact form, but itīs unusable.

* Panama City, Panama * CSL 18" + Toyo P4s * Umnitza P46 + Orion V2 AEs * HID Fogs * Smoked Corner & Sidemarkers + Smoked EE LED Tails * Matte Black Grills * LED Plate + Reverse lights *
tavuslokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #39
BlackPearl_Custom

My Ride: 318i N42
Send a message via Yahoo to BlackPearl_Custom
nice DIY boss.. but i'm still have a little question here.. my 12pin wires color is not the same as yours.. i cant find white and blue wires for the folding motor

here is the pic of my 12 pin wires

BlackPearl_Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Great deal.
For all E46 sedan cars upto 3/03 with no memory seats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote