E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
andry

My Ride: BMW 323i
Make sure:
- air and fuel filters are clean.
- plugs and wires are good.
- tire pressures is good.
- drive between 2500rpm and 3500rpm.

hope this helps.
andry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #22
maxm50

My Ride: 1999 Steel Blue 328i
I'd second the O2 sensors. It's possible for them to degrade enough to lower your mileage but still not throw a code.

Does anyone know of a good way to check O2 sensor functionality, besides the "if they're old, replace them" mantra?
maxm50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
henryshih

My Ride: 2001 325i wagon
My 2001 3251 wagon just runs 18mpg, about 20miles daily local drive, i think it's really bad with gas hits almost 4.35 a gallon now.

i do have po365 eroor code on, which is (i've heard from other posts) exhaust camshaft position sensor is bad. anyone know this sensor does affect mpg..??

how to improve mpg ..??

i forget to say my wagon just past 58k miles.....

thanks,

Last edited by henryshih; 04-22-2011 at 05:27 PM.
henryshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #24
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Driving habits are the single most effective thing you can change if you want to improve fuel economy. Slow down a bit, apex your corners, stay off the brakes, etc.

How well is the car maintained? Check for vacuum leaks, change your plugs, your fuel filter, O2 sensors, air filter, etc.

And then the mods, which I presume is what you were trying to get at. Headers may help a little, but not nearly as much as the two above mentioned categories.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
henryshih

mpg

I think my driving habit is not bad, i rarely rev over 3-3.5k rpm and i know how much you lose everytime you step on brake.

This morning, i spent awhile check all 6 spark plugs and i found most of them were wet of gas and oil ( i guess). I think this is why my fuel efficiency is so bad, too much gas were injected. i heard other thread was saying this type of plugs last at least 100k miles, mine just turn to 58k, so i brushed clean with steel brush and air down and put them back, i hope poor mpg is not from these plugs. I had changed air filter last summer when it has 52k and i double checked it was not dirty. I don't know about fuel filter, i may want to change it later. I dont know about O2 or vacuum leak. i dont get error code other than po365, also misfire

And i also checked exhaust camshaft sensor, it wasn't so hard to take out. I am getting one from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120675610881

it's just 31.59 with o ring plus 8 dlls shipping, is this reliable one..??? price is not bad though...

I will post the result after i replace cps, I hope this is the main cause of poor mpg...

thx,

Last edited by henryshih; 04-25-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #26
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryshih View Post
I think my driving habit is not bad, i rarely rev over 3-3.5k rpm and i know how much you lose everytime you step on brake.

This morning, i spent awhile check all 6 spark plugs and i found most of them were wet of gas and oil ( i guess). I think this is why my fuel efficiency is so bad, too much gas were injected. i heard other thread was saying this type of plugs last at least 100k miles, mine just turn to 58k, so i brushed clean with steel brush and air down and put them back, i hope poor mpg is not from these plugs. I had changed air filter last summer when it has 52k and i double checked it was not dirty. I don't know about fuel filter, i may want to change it later. I dont know about O2 or vacuum leak. i dont get error code other than po365, also misfire

And i also checked exhaust camshaft sensor, it wasn't so hard to take out. I am getting one from

it's just 31.59 with o ring plus 8 dlls shipping, is this reliable one..??? price is not bad though...

I will post the result after i replace cps, I hope this is the main cause of poor mpg...

thx,
You're running rich. Are all the trips you take short ones? EDIT: also, are you feathering the throttle until the engine is warm?

Check O2 sensor, keep the tires pumped to correct pressure, make sure your brakes aren't sticking, etc. Also, if you modified anything it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery so the computer can readjust to your driving style and any new parts.

I average 8.5L/100km (34mpg) in combined city/highway driving with the 325i. This is according to the onboard computer, which I have reset twice just in case it was lying to me

Last edited by ac_2007; 04-25-2011 at 12:41 AM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #27
henryshih

Mpg

THANKS YOUR HINT ON BRAKES,

I DID NOTICED A BURNING SMELL ON THE WHEELS AFTER ROUTINE DRIVE FROM OMY WORK ABOUT 10 MILES OR LESS. I HAD REPLACED REAR BRAKE PAD RECENTLY AND IT MIGHT BE ONE OF THE CAUSES....

AC_2007,

What do you mean by " feathering the throttle until the engine is warm" ???

I am about to buy CPS from

Does anyone knows this auto parts ebayer ??? or any other recommendations.....

I am appreciated....

Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #28
ac_2007

Quote:
THANKS YOUR HINT ON BRAKES,

I DID NOTICED A BURNING SMELL ON THE WHEELS AFTER ROUTINE DRIVE FROM OMY WORK ABOUT 10 MILES OR LESS. I HAD REPLACED REAR BRAKE PAD RECENTLY AND IT MIGHT BE ONE OF THE CAUSES....

AC_2007,

What do you mean by " feathering the throttle until the engine is warm" ???

I am about to buy CPS from

Does anyone knows this auto parts ebayer ??? or any other recommendations.....

I am appreciated....

My Honda winter car failed emissions because it had a sticking front caliper.. go figure

By feathering the throttle, I mean drive it gently and don't floor it, especially until the engine is warm.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
henryshih

Ok, i will double check the brakes this weekend, may get some lubs on....

Yes, i do drive slow even the engine is hot, i rarely rev over 3k rpm, so i think it's shouldn't be problem from my driving habit.....

Another question is, how to reset computer, so all error or records can be erased and i may drive a bran new car again... Is it possible...???
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
ac_2007

Quote:
Ok, i will double check the brakes this weekend, may get some lubs on....

Yes, i do drive slow even the engine is hot, i rarely rev over 3k rpm, so i think it's shouldn't be problem from my driving habit.....

Another question is, how to reset computer, so all error or records can be erased and i may drive a bran new car again... Is it possible...???
Disconnect battery, I explained why in my previous post..
Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
Schnitzer325ci

My Ride: BMW 325ci Schnitzer
Send a message via MSN to Schnitzer325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by reez777 View Post
I'm not sure if this will work for all E46 owners, but I increased my MPG from 20 to 25.5 by doing two things

i) taking the spare wheel out of the car.
ii) taking my girlfriend out of the car.

Weight Loss of the two items combined was enough to get my MPG shooting up.
Lol. I'm sure your woman was pleased.

All jokes aside; check the O2 sensors, they seem to be worn and are causing a loss of efficient consumption.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Genuine AC Schnitzer Pedals & Ebrake
Genuine Bi-Xenon Retrofit
BMW Dice iPod Connect
Smoked LEDs, Sides & Repeaters
Privacy Glass
Black Grills
Purple Angel Eyes
Imola Red M3 Leathers - SOLD
More to follow...

WRITTEN OFF BY SOME PUNK BYATCH!

Reppin the U.K
Schnitzer325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #32
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
I was averaging 24 city/highway when I first purchased the car with 5000 miles. I worst I've seen my mileage was 17mpg average. Since replacing a few things my mileage increase to 22mpg.

Things replaced that improved my mileage:

K&N trashed and replaced with OEM filter
Iridiums trashed and replaced with OEM plugs
CCV
fuel filter
lightweight flywheel

I believe my Cats and O2 sensors may be somewhat fouled by the CCV failure, but I have significantly improved my mileage by replacing some aftermarket crap with OEM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #33
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
My god how has nobody said this yet? REPOST. Search the forum, there's countless threads about this. In the end, driver determines mpg.
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Just went through thread going back 2 years and saw no mention of thermostat.

Check its function. If engine is running cooler than it wants to, it will burn a lot more gas. If it dips any at all below dead center on temp gauge, replace it. Not saying this to OP, since I doubt he's here, but to anyone reading.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #35
jallantaylor

My Ride: E46
i like the idea about the thermostat... mine is stuck open it seems and it runs cool. I still average 26, but looking to replace it soon anyway.

XAVI - I agree about the iridiums, but I have ran many a k&n filters in my life and have one that I havent even installed yet. I am driving all week to make sure my MPG smooths out before installing it so I can determine the effect. Personally, I don't think the different air filter could have that big of an effect. Maybe I am missing something??

And REEZ - if you think ditching the girlfriend increases your MPG, you should see what ditching the WIFE does.
jallantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #36
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallantaylor View Post
I am driving all week to make sure my MPG smooths out before installing it so I can determine the effect. Personally, I don't think the different air filter could have that big of an effect. Maybe I am missing something??
You might be missing that IF the K&N flows more air, your ECM will inject more fuel to compensate and keep the Air/Fuel ratio the same and decrease your mileage......
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #37
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Just went through thread going back 2 years and saw no mention of thermostat.

Check its function. If engine is running cooler than it wants to, it will burn a lot more gas. If it dips any at all below dead center on temp gauge, replace it. Not saying this to OP, since I doubt he's here, but to anyone reading.
+1
my thermostat was stuck open and the car took a really long time to heat up, on my trip from LA to Vegas it couldn't get up to the middle...i still did get around 350+ miles on that tank of gas even by cruising at around 90 mph most of the way...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #38
Dirty330i

My Ride: 04 330i, 07 Z4M
I'm averaging 9.0 liters per 100km or 26mpg I'm pretty happy with that considering gas is up to $1.50 a liter for the good stuff

Edit: stupid autocorrect

Last edited by Dirty330i; 04-26-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Dirty330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #39
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanneba View Post
You might be missing that IF the K&N flows more air, your ECM will inject more fuel to compensate and keep the Air/Fuel ratio the same and decrease your mileage......

+1 I saw an increase .3 mpg since replacement two weeks. It seems to increase as the weeks go by.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #40
dunitlol

My Ride: 325i

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=improve+mpg

this will solve all your MPG problems! just putting it out there, search first then post

01' 325i TiAg
dunitlol is offline   Reply With Quote