E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #61
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Walking is free. The oil companies will never take that away from you or tax you on that
Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #62
Dedney

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalicious View Post
I feel your pain on the Wrangler...
Yeah, I miss it, especially with this weather we have right now. But $70.00 a week in gas - it was hard to justify keeping it.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #63
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Put in half a tank of 87 (in case of issues and i needed to balance it out with 91). Car runs fine. I will likely only use 87 octane from here on out. Regret not doing this earlier.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #64
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
My last tank (almost empty) has been 89. My next one is going to be 87. Know a guy who works as a tech at a BMW dealer and drives an E9X and puts in 87. It won't hurt, especially not your wallet.

BTW I maybe lost 0.2-0.3 L/100 Km (which is just over 1 Mi/USG) in going to 89 octane, however a lot of the driving was in windy conditions which adversely affects mileage as well. Just be glad you're not buying gas in Canada, you guys in the states with your American Peso have it good
Saving $0.10 per gallon is worth going with 87??

Dude, you're only saving about $1.40 every fillup just to put crappier gas in your car........ WOOT

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #65
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyArea View Post

Dude, you're only saving about $1.40 every fillup just to put crappier gas in your car........ WOOT
Yep....there is not really much of a difference in the long run. Makes people feel better that they saved some money though I guess. Hey....that is a free cheeseburger every fill up....LOL..."Man....I will suck your....for a cheese burger!"...ROFLOL!!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #66
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Heavier the foot, less mpg.
/thread
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #67
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Pouring in 91 octane gets you more gas mileage out of the m54 since the DME adapts and changes ignition timing (advances); The result is you need less gas to get more power/response out of the engine netting you more MPG. Where as if you use 87 octane the DME retards ignition timing and you have to feed the car more gas to get the same pull. I only use 91 or 93 octane and I'm sitting at 26.4 mpg combined. Climbs up to 32 on the highway.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 05-08-2011 at 12:51 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #68
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
You can drive like less of a douche.

Or stop whining like a little b!tch.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #69
WheyArea

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
You can drive like less of a douche.

Or stop whining like a little b!tch.
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth lol

Old 05-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #70
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
First, what gas do you put in it? Always put 93 octane in it. Go to Walmart and buy about five bottles of Lucas fuel treatment. Fill your car up with 93 and pour in the Lucas. Run the car till you need to FILL UP again. Then again add the Lucas. Keep doing this and use all the Lucas up. This should help you, I was having the same problem and did this and now I get awesome gas milage. BTW I work in the city and drive in downtown traffic all the time and it still does great. I put Lucas in now every time I fill up, just cheap insurance. Let me know if this helps.
Sanchjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #71
2003 325i

Quote:

Umm, no... don't go hucking rocks when you don't even know the situation... here's some math...

Where I live (you can see if you open your douchy eyes and look to the left of what you're currently trying to read with your grade 4 edumacation) 91 is currently about $0.16/L more than 87 octane. At about 60L per fillup that is $9.60 per fill-up. Since I run nearly a tank a week that's in the neighbourhood of $500/year. I consider this amount significant, compounded with the fact that I've noticed no real decrease in fuel economy makes me think it's a wise choice.

P.S. that's even more money if you convert it to your American Peso

P.P.S. It's not crappier gas, it's different octane gas. Maybe you should read up on what octane rating actually is... if you can... read, that is.

Last edited by 2003 325i; 05-08-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #72
jallantaylor

My Ride: E46
if you want to know the difference of fuel on your ride test it. Assuming you drive similar patterns - fill it up with 87 and record your mileage. when it is close to empty, fill it with 93. take your mileage from this fill up and subtract your last mileage to get the number of miles you drove. Then look at your receipt to determine how many gallons it took to fill it back to "full" - divide them out and see what your average is. (might be a good time to check your dash MPG indicator for accuracy) - do the same thing after the 93 and see if it helps. on the next go-round, try some seafoam.. I might do a study like this sometime, sounds interesting. Some warn that additives could break old junk in your tank free and clog your injector screens, etc..
jallantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #73
WheyArea

Quote:
Umm, no... don't go hucking rocks when you don't even know the situation... here's some math...

Where I live (you can see if you open your douchy eyes and look to the left of what you're currently trying to read with your grade 4 edumacation) 91 is currently about $0.16/L more than 87 octane. At about 60L per fillup that is $9.60 per fill-up. Since I run nearly a tank a week that's in the neighbourhood of $500/year. I consider this amount significant, compounded with the fact that I've noticed no real decrease in fuel economy makes me think it's a wise choice.

P.S. that's even more money if you convert it to your American Peso

P.P.S. It's not crappier gas, it's different octane gas. Maybe you should read up on what octane rating actually is... if you can... read, that is.
If your story holds truth why are you so touchy about it "It's not crappier, just different ...."

Did your boyfriend mark his status as "single" this morning? lol

Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #74
2003 325i

Quote:
If your story holds truth why are you so touchy about it "It's not crappier, just different ...."

Did your boyfriend mark his status as "single" this morning? lol
An excellent rebuttal to my post. Make some homosexual-hate remaks and dispute nothing about what I wrote. I bow to your inferior intelligence.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #75
WheyArea

Quote:
An excellent rebuttal to my post. Make some homosexual-hate remaks and dispute nothing about what I wrote. I bow to your inferior intelligence.
"Liiiiiiight-saberrrrr... + 10 XP" okay you win guy

Keep putting shitty azz 87 in your bimmer. Let's just all eat cheeseburgers and fries for meals too because my performance seems to be the same whether I eat that or real meals...

Old 05-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #76
jallantaylor

My Ride: E46
come on guys.. this type of rhetoric has no place on the board.
jallantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #77
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
I average 21.3mpg with mostly city driving. Plus 19s with low-pro tires. I used to be at 16-17 but changed my driving habits

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #78
oif3recon

My Ride: M3
Brilliant!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reez777 View Post
I'm not sure if this will work for all E46 owners, but I increased my MPG from 20 to 25.5 by doing two things

i) taking the spare wheel out of the car.
ii) taking my girlfriend out of the car.

Weight Loss of the two items combined was enough to get my MPG shooting up.
Great advice!! I'm doing it! Well my M didn't come with a spare... So all I gotta do is kick the GF out
oif3recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #79
e30mike

My Ride: 325i
I can attest to the K&N filter for better mpg, if your stock one is getting old definitely upgrade!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #80
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
It's really all about watching out for red lights and releasing the gas ahead of time.
Also:
Cruise Control on the highway if there is not much traffic(keep the speed steady)
Try to stay in one lane so you don't have to accelerate when changing lanes.
I always get 91/supreme gas for my e46.
Windows down when not in the fwy(not going fast) and windows up and mostly no AC as well when on the fwy.
Leaving enough gap between you and the car in front of you also helps with less braking.
Always glance at the MPG meter when stepping on the gas/brake.

^with these I've increased my mpg for the past few months from 16/17 to 23mpg. My goal is to get it up to 25-30.

Although when it is payday / my tank is full, I go a bit faster to enjoy the car.