E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
2000 323

My Ride: 323ci
Newbie cluster problem

Hey guys new to BMW's , just picked a clean weekend car 2000 323Ci coupe 5 spd 2.5, It runs and drives amazing i love it. Only problem is that none of the needles/gauges work on my car. The bottle digital gauge with the miles,temp,distance, and oil change life still work just not the mph/rpm/gas/temp. now Ive tried doing the holding the buttton in and "resetting" the cluster but none of them move when i do the reset, so I've ruled it down to the cluster its self. checked all the fuses and and the wiring is all good. Now my MAIN question is can it be anything else? And I've read you can buy a used cluster and it will work and not need to be programmed but if the miles are lower you will get a tamper light! But my question is if you out a cluster with higher miles will it work? And have no tamper light ? thanks for any input!
2000 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
2000 323

No one has answers to this
?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
you will always get the dot. you canīt change the vin and the odometer with bmw utilities.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
NukeMiller

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 323 View Post
Hey guys new to BMW's , just picked a clean weekend car 2000 323Ci coupe 5 spd 2.5, It runs and drives amazing i love it. Only problem is that none of the needles/gauges work on my car. The bottle digital gauge with the miles,temp,distance, and oil change life still work just not the mph/rpm/gas/temp. now Ive tried doing the holding the buttton in and "resetting" the cluster but none of them move when i do the reset, so I've ruled it down to the cluster its self. checked all the fuses and and the wiring is all good. Now my MAIN question is can it be anything else? And I've read you can buy a used cluster and it will work and not need to be programmed but if the miles are lower you will get a tamper light! But my question is if you out a cluster with higher miles will it work? And have no tamper light ? thanks for any input!
Should have no problem getting a new cluster without getting a tamper light...just ask BMW service....pretty sure all you do is reset the cluster after installing new one. There is a reason you can buy new ones with no issue from dealer
NukeMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
2000 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMiller View Post
Should have no problem getting a new cluster without getting a tamper light...just ask BMW service....pretty sure all you do is reset the cluster after installing new one. There is a reason you can buy new ones with no issue from dealer
It's 880$ don't want to spend that much, want to keep it under 200
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
NukeMiller

My Ride: 2005 325i
I get that...just saying that you should be able to buy a used cluster and it should have no problem reading out to what your proper milage is....if it didn't, crooked dealerships would use this tactic left and right to increase the price of thier cars
NukeMiller is offline   Reply With Quote