E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #21
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
oops, double post.

Last edited by kpeng; 09-12-2008 at 04:57 PM.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #22
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
And how much did you spend to remove something that wouldn't have hurt anything, if left in, and has no benefit whatsoever, if removed.

Last edited by kpeng; 09-12-2008 at 02:22 PM.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
I just thought I was helping out the forum. For those guys with the e-bay headers, we can run the headers with no cats and remove the secondary air system and still keep the check engine light out. The Innovate wide band 02 sensor onboard makes it nice when I want to tune my car, and the 2 analog outputs take car of the fake cat signal and the low voltage secondary air signal. I have a nice set of cats mounted offset under the car, so by no means am I advocating all out straight pipes, but if you have the use of a wide band signal for the occasional tune then why not use it to it's full potential, it shaves off about 7lbs and at that point all it takes is a $3 DPDT relay. I have some pictures if you want to post them, I can draw up a wire schematic also.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #24
bignickmetro

My Ride: 2002 330ci TiAg
This is an ancient thread revival but I was googling and I don't like it when people have wrong info. Why would you advise someone with headers to keep their SAP? If you have headers there is absolutely NO reason to have an SAP since you will fail emissions due to the headers anyway. There are lots of reasons to remove the SAP, mostly that they fail and are kinda pricey to replace. And really, that annoying whine for 30sec doesn't bother you guys? Mine functions prefectly and it still drives me nuts.

BMW Euro 4 software includes SAP, Euro 3 software removes SAP, Euro 2 software removes SAP AND post-cat O2.

I am working on flashing euro 2 software on my M54, disables post-cat O2 sensors an there is a recent post with success with headers, no cats, no SAP, and best of all NO CEL! (and I think he even passed a emissions test). When I had my last test done they didn't even pop the hood. Just plugged into OBDII and everything showed ok, and they checked the gas cap. No visual inspection here so good to go.
bignickmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #25
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
For the OE block off plate and fixings (that I have factory fitted on my Euro 330) see below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=11&fg=15

Items 10, 11 and 12.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #26
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan330Ci~ View Post
For the OE block off plate and fixings (that I have factory fitted on my Euro 330) see below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=11&fg=15

Items 10, 11 and 12.
amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
ferrarix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #27
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarix99 View Post
amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well it beats making one or buying one from the aftermarket
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
What are the odds that a tune from ESS that turns off the post-cat O2 sensors would also disable the SAP monitoring? Would I have had to ask for that special or does disabling the monitoring of the post-cat O2's also inherently disable the SAP monitors?

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
SH4DY

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I'll bump this up for another work around I was thinking about:
I read in the catless LC-1 thread someone saying the SAP only came on if the ambient temp was close to the engine coolant temp or below a certain temp or something of that nature. It was brought up that removal may be a non-issue in warmer climates.
So... why not give the car a constant ambient temp that keeps it (the CEL) happy? If the service manual has a test for the sensor like most cars it says to place it in water of certain temperatures and measure the resistance across it. Find out what ohmic value say, 100 or 150F has, and put it a resistor.
The only concerns would be losing the ambient temp on the display (but I had toyed around with how to get it to display coolant temp anyway...) and the biggy: I'm not sure what effect it may have on fueling. Most cars have inlet temp sensors and i'd assume ours has one separate from the ambient temp sensor but I haven't gotten that far in the research. Actually maybe the comparison is between the inlet temp sensor and ECT and not ambient... hmmmm
thoughts?
SH4DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #30
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
^Your making this more complicated than it actually is.

What are you trying to do? Remove the SAP and spoof it? There are a few ways to do it. The simplist way is the OEM Euro tune. Another way is to build your own SAP spoof circuit. I built one a LONG time ago, and it was somewhat complicated, but doable, if you can solder. Search for it, it's out there.

Trying to fool the car using it's temp sensors (there are MANY) is taking a very roundabout approach. I'd rather just remove it and live with the CEL. It won't affect driveability.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
F1004fun

With all this recent talk about removing the secondary air pump I decided it was time to find an easier way, and I found one. This will only work on MS43 cars as the MS45 cars actually have a little MAF sensor for the SAP pump.

So the way this works is actually quite simple, your going to take your pre-cat O2 sensor signal lines and tap into them. Then run these into a DPST relay input. Find the wire coming out of the DME for the SAP relay ground signal and run this through the DPST relay solenoid wires, then remove the SAP relay and jump the two smaller wires that go to the relay socket. Now wire in a 75ohm 1/2watt resistor for each leg of the DPST relay output and then tie these together and to ground.

What this is going to do is awesome, when the DME goes to click on the SAP the DPST relay will energize and pull the pre-cat O2 sensor signal to ground and lower the voltage down to what it would be with the pump running.
If I am losing you it's like this, your O2 sensor signal goes 0-1V, 0 being lean and 1 being rich. When the SAP turns on the only way the DME knows this is by seeing the pre-cat signal go lean from all the fresh air being pumped in too try and light the cats off a little sooner. So your signal goes down to about .2-.3V but the motor is not running lean. So by pulling the signal down to ground with the 75ohm resistors you are making the signal look lean and it passes the monitors in no time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	446427  
Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #32
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Just make a sim.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...6&d=1299631973

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
I really admire the thought that went into that, I could never do it, but I'm hoping to find a more OEM look, and hate the idea of cutting into the O2 sensors. I realize that only leaves me with an electronic option of some kind, which means some kind of tune or custom programming in the DME.

Why remove the SAP? Its not a huge issue, but 6lbs is 6lbs plus it would be nice to have that extra space in the engine bay.... could use it to make maintenance work easier or just let me see my beautiful Jet Hot coated headers in there. It doesnt keep me up at night, but if there was a way to do it I would.

Seems the MS43 cars are lucky enough to be able to try using the Euro tune, but MS45 guys like me kind of seem SOL (if we dont want to cut up the O2 sensors) unless there's a tuner that has figured out how the Euro tune goes about disabling the SAP monitors and can replicate that coding on the newer cars.... I checked with ESS and they can't do it.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #34
F1004fun

Cutting the O2 sensor wires is no big deal, and honestly so is removing the SAP I agree. But for the same reasons as you I like the way the engine bay looks without it. There is a way to make this work with MS45, you would need an additional relay that could jump that little mini MAF on your SAP from the 5v wire that supplies it to the signal wire out of it with a resistor that would give you about 3v or so. This would make the pump looks like it is moving air and should set the monitor. If you were interested I could make a wiring diagram and you could do most all the work just through the e-box lid.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #35
gpeterson

My Ride: 98 M3/4/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
With all this recent talk about removing the secondary air pump I decided it was time to find an easier way, and I found one. This will only work on MS43 cars as the MS45 cars actually have a little MAF sensor for the SAP pump.

So the way this works is actually quite simple, your going to take your pre-cat O2 sensor signal lines and tap into them. Then run these into a DPST relay input. Find the wire coming out of the DME for the SAP relay ground signal and run this through the DPST relay solenoid wires, then remove the SAP relay and jump the two smaller wires that go to the relay socket. Now wire in a 75ohm 1/2watt resistor for each leg of the DPST relay output and then tie these together and to ground.

What this is going to do is awesome, when the DME goes to click on the SAP the DPST relay will energize and pull the pre-cat O2 sensor signal to ground and lower the voltage down to what it would be with the pump running.
If I am losing you it's like this, your O2 sensor signal goes 0-1V, 0 being lean and 1 being rich. When the SAP turns on the only way the DME knows this is by seeing the pre-cat signal go lean from all the fresh air being pumped in too try and light the cats off a little sooner. So your signal goes down to about .2-.3V but the motor is not running lean. So by pulling the signal down to ground with the 75ohm resistors you are making the signal look lean and it passes the monitors in no time.
If anyone wants a professionally-built version of this please contact me.

gpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #36
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post

this is for prefacelift only?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
gpeterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
this is for prefacelift only?
Pre-build date 3/2003. I'm trying to find someone close to me with a newer e46 so that I can run some tests and develop a SAP sim that will work on these cars.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #38
F1004fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post

Cool setup, let me know what you find with the MS45 cars. Like I said earlier the MAF for the SAP will run about 3v when the pump comes online.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #39
gpeterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
Cool setup, let me know what you find with the MS45 cars. Like I said earlier the MAF for the SAP will run about 3v when the pump comes online.
Would you be willing to try a test version that simulates the SAP MAF?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #40
rkneeshaw

I'll test a plug and play version on my ZHP