E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
kaotek323i

My Ride: red 1999 323i
real bad camber

hey guys. i have tokico blues and h & r sport springs on my car. i checkd and my tires are getting really ate up on the inside of the tires. what do you guys recommend i get to fix my issue. do i need a complete front camber plates and all that? rear camber arms?
VF stage1, v2 compressor w/ v1 internals, ebay headers
kaotek323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Just get an alignment and cut back on the toe settings. You do not need camber plates or arms.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
kaotek323i

My Ride: red 1999 323i
i got an alignment a few months ago. its mostly in the rear that has the most problem
VF stage1, v2 compressor w/ v1 internals, ebay headers
kaotek323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
jpr

Then try getting a good alignment?

You've got too much rear toe.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
-Oli-

My Ride: 328Ci
my car is lowered at the rear and there is a camber problem on the rear meaning that tyres are wearing more on the inside. Is it possible to straighten these out and keep it lowered so that the tyres is in even contact with the road. i asked a mechanic and he said that with a lowered car you need to live with the wheels on a bit of an angle??

thanks
-Oli- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Oli- View Post
my car is lowered at the rear and there is a camber problem on the rear meaning that tyres are wearing more on the inside. Is it possible to straighten these out and keep it lowered so that the tyres is in even contact with the road. i asked a mechanic and he said that with a lowered car you need to live with the wheels on a bit of an angle??

thanks
You need to buy rear adjustable control arms to fix the negative camber caused by the lower springs

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Bimmer Dude Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotek323i View Post
hey guys. i have tokico blues and h & r sport springs on my car. i checkd and my tires are getting really ate up on the inside of the tires. what do you guys recommend i get to fix my issue. do i need a complete front camber plates and all that? rear camber arms?
Since you drop your car, you given yourself negative camber, meaning the top of the tire points inward and also rides on the inside of the tire. To fix this you need to buy camber plates for the front and adjustable control arms for the rear. Then you go for another alignment.Then you're set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Then try getting a good alignment?

You've got too much rear toe.
He does not have too much rear toe. Toe does not cause the tire to get eaten up on the inside. Too much negative camber causes that.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 AM   #8
-Oli-

are adjustable control arms expensive? do the dealers supply them?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #9
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
the rear doesnt look low enough to be too agressive for the RTA to not be adjusted for camber properly.
and the front, i supposse the only thing to do is get camber plates.
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
He does not have too much rear toe. Toe does not cause the tire to get eaten up on the inside. Too much negative camber causes that.
BZZZZZT!
I'm sorry, the correct answer is that the rate of tire wear is primarily determined by toe. Fix the toe settings and you can run plenty of negative camber without having a wear issue.

Both camber and toe are adjustable front and rear on the E46. Unless one's car is completely slammed you will have enough adjustment range to get a good alignment without using aftermarket parts.

As for camber plates and adjustable control arms, the main reason to get them is if you want MORE camber than you can get from stock adjustments. The second reason to get them is to make it quicker and easier to adjust your camber. This is especially handy when you want to change your camber settings in response to the tire tread temp profile you are getting on the track that day.

But thanks for playing!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
-Oli-

thanks mate. i will get it to the garage that said it was possible in the first place just wanted to check that alignment can be done in the rear, as mine def isn't completely slammed.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
jpr

No worries.

For reference, camber is a good thing and for general street use the rear should be in the range of about -1.5 to -2.1 depending upon preferences and the load condition of the car at the time you take the readings. For the front, a reasonable range is about -0.5 to -1.2 with the same caveats.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #13
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
jpr > bimmer_dudeXi
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
well what are you expecting when your slammed in the back, you need to have an allignment shop fix the camber, or get a camber kit if you know your tires wont rub on the fender when you fix the camber.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
keso

My Ride: 2000 323i SP
I got the same problem today, the wheel allignment shop said to get a front camber kit - coz the car have -2.5 camber both sides and they cannot do anything w/out the front camber kit. The rears are fine and they set it to specs. Do I need a front camber kit? This summer I just replaced my control arm(mielke)/aftermarket bushing and my setup is H&R/Bilstein(sport) combo running 18" wheels. The shop is asking for 4hr job + allignment again after the install of the camber kit.... What do you guys think? help!
keso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
Bimmer Dude Xi

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_wear.htm

Lets be serious. Its obvious here. Lowered suspension and inner tire worn down. Toe unlikely. Its camber. I'd like to see the result of the alignment, before and after.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #17
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by keso View Post
I got the same problem today, the wheel allignment shop said to get a front camber kit - coz the car have -2.5 camber both sides and they cannot do anything w/out the front camber kit. The rears are fine and they set it to specs. Do I need a front camber kit? This summer I just replaced my control arm(mielke)/aftermarket bushing and my setup is H&R/Bilstein(sport) combo running 18" wheels. The shop is asking for 4hr job + allignment again after the install of the camber kit.... What do you guys think? help!
Have them punch out the factory alignment locating pin on the top of the struts and adjust your camber. If they don't know what your talking about go somewhere that knows BMW's. You should definately be able to get your car within spec with the setup you are running.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #18
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Quote:

Lets be serious. Its obvious here. Lowered suspension and inner tire worn down. Toe unlikely. Its camber. I'd like to see the result of the alignment, before and after.
So are you trying to imply that the only change in suspension geometry that takes place when lowering a car is the camber setting? If so, you may want to read a little more about the subject. Toe and camber both will cause some tire wear but camber does so to a much lesser extent than toe.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #19
dubplaya

My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to dubplaya
Quote:

Then why are many of us rocking good amounts of camber without tread wear issues?
Toe is a leading factor of tire wear.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:08 AM   #20
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Have them punch out the factory alignment locating pin on the top of the struts and adjust your camber. If they don't know what your talking about go somewhere that knows BMW's. You should definately be able to get your car within spec with the setup you are running.
+1 learned about this yesterday when I was getting my alignment. Got everything to spec. Rolls great!

At first I was like, ummmm i think that might belong there.... but he assured me and showed me another car that happened to come in at the same time and same thing happened to theirs and they said it was A okay!
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote