E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
I almost bought some M54 cams on here to put into my sharked M52.
I was told that I'd prolly have to remove the shark injection since it wouldn't match the M54 cams.

Then when I enquired about the actual cam swap, my tech buddy asked his master tech. He said there is a special tool that is required to replace the cam brackets, I believe they're called journals. Well anyway, this tool is to ensure that they are not over tightened when replacing the cam. I 1st thought, hmm, what about regular ass torqueing it to specs. But I guess our BMW heads are too sophisticated for that simple method. Since its already 2 for the master tech and 0 for us, I decided to just take his word on this one.
Besides after contacting TMS they said I'd have to get custom software or a piggyback type setup to correct my AFR that the cams would throw off. So I've decided to research swapping M3 brakes unto my 328i and maybe dropping a S52 motor inplace later on, instead of boosting.
Wow I'm going to call BS on you needing diff software to run M54 cams.

BMW even sells the ZHP cams as a "BMW Performance upgrade" to the non-m owners. There are lots of people on here running even more aggressive Schrick 264/248 profile cams even without any form of tune. Vanos can compensate for different profiles enough, and you will definitely notice a performance increase without software. While I will agree that a custom tune would be best, running your shark with any cam profiles publicly available will be fine. I'll also say that I wouldn't spend money on labor to put 330 cams, or even zhp cams... If you are going to do it, get the schricks for sure!

As for the cam tool, that's true. It can be done without that tool, but BMW says it shouldnt... just like we should never change our transmission or diff oil The part about the cam change process that may be difficult is the timing, which I think there is a special tool for as well.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #22
hoveringuy

My Ride: e30
Quote:
He said there is a special tool that is required to replace the cam brackets, I believe they're called journals.

I can't see how cam installation on this head is any different than M50/M52 which has never required a special tool for the caps. There is a special tool for the entire cam, is that what he is talking about??
hoveringuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #23
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
damn guys, now you all got me thinking about this cam swap again. Active how many parameters does the shark injection change, does it alter cam timing too, i was made to understand that this is where the problem lies, that the timing is adjusted for the M52 cams and that the M54 cams may throw it way off.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
Activ3

Quote:
damn guys, now you all got me thinking about this cam swap again. Active how many parameters does the shark injection change, does it alter cam timing too, i was made to understand that this is where the problem lies, that the timing is adjusted for the M52 cams and that the M54 cams may throw it way off.
It doesn't alter cam timing, vanos does that. The double vanos can adjust cam timing for pretty much any publicly available cams, without the need for tuning.

Some sites list the M52TU schrick cams as 248/248, which are pretty close to stock zhp cams. However, the ones listed for the M54 are the 264/248, which I would recommend, even on the M52tu.

To give you an example, when you're boosted you can run the 248/256 cam profiles, which vanos makes up for, even without a tune. I've heard that the max adjustment on the vanos for the exhaust cam is a 256 profile, which is why no one really runs anything higher than that.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #25
Snik
OEM ///Member

but shrick cams cost a grip man, i think ill pass.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
Activ3

yeah, you're right. I guess I assumed that you were paying a decent amount for the M54 ones. If you get them cheap enough and have a tech who would do the install for cheap, that wouldn't be bad at all.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #27
Snik
OEM ///Member

i can get em less than $100 for the 54s