E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Brake Experts Needed (Including Sponsors)

Hey guys, I am really needing this information asap and have not gotten any response in the general forum so I am posting this here to try and help, please see my original thread here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=601731 about m brakes on an non m and a few other questions, thanks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
ModBargains
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP
Sorry, but they will not fit. The only thing that is transferable is the brake lines. If you are looking for a brake upgrade for your 325, we are running a special on Stoptech Front Big Brake Kit. With the purchase of the front kit, you will receive the rear Stoptech direct replacement rotors, Axxis pads, and Stoptech stainless steel brake lines. Let me know if you would like a full quote.

Elliot Goodman|Elliott@ModBargains.com|(714) 582-3330 ext. 8009
We Specialize In:
BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels | BMW Intake
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
just do the 330 upgrade, its possible to retro M3 brakes but the caliper carriers don't for correctly and need to have a few mm machined off them. really not worth the hassle when the 330 brakes are almost the same size. 330 caliper and carrier are plug and play.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
02m3csl325

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
just do the 330 upgrade, its possible to retro M3 brakes but the caliper carriers don't for correctly and need to have a few mm machined off them. really not worth the hassle when the 330 brakes are almost the same size. 330 caliper and carrier are plug and play.
That's the answer I was looking for, thanks Sim, I already have the 330 parts and I will go ahead with my original plans then, will the 330 rear swap in with the ebrake on my 325 then? I've got the 330 calipers and carriers already and I'm buying the rotors and pads next, will I need to swap out the lines or will the 325 lines work with the 330 brakes? Need to make sure I have all the parts I need so I just do this once and get it done before I leave.

Sorry Gabe, I'm not tracking my car or showing it for a couple more years so I have no need to spend more money then what I already have, thanks though.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
02m3csl325

Alright guys, I just found something that is very disconcerting in this post http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=545118 from Rob L. @ UUC. For those that don't want to read the whole thing he states that the 330 brakes on a 325 will add noticible weight as well as making the braking performance worse because it will be unbalanced. Is this true? Anyone that has done this, do you feel or experience any of this? I want to beleive Rob but I can't imagine how either of those statements would be true. Obviously the 330 setup would weigh a little more then 325 setup but I still can't beleive it would make the car heavier and the braking performance worse. Maybe I am just a complete moron on this subject but any insight from anyone that's done this would be nice. Sim do you feel or notice any of this since you did your swap?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
^ no.

u can do 330 front with only a carrier and caliper upgrade, along with the appropriate rotors and pads.

the 330 rear upgrade is more involved, as you have noticed, because it requires new rear trailing arms/bushings etc. for the ebrake to work.

the rotational mass, as rob suggested, is increased but hardly noticeable!!! people put heavy ass wheels on their cars all the time, and that weight is even further from the hub, adding to the total unsprung weight. a small upgrade like 325 to 330 brakes is a minimal increase in rotational mass. i'd like to see the weight numbers on his UUC kit, as if those didn't add to rotational weight at all!

my overall thoughts are that the 330 upgrade might not make that big of a difference in overall braking, BUT, it will dissipate heat better and lead to less fading than the smaller brakes, which makes it worth it, considering the low cost of the upgrade.

hope this makes sense. wine ftw.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
02m3csl325

Thanks for all your help bro, I sent ya another pm, now I just need ya to come to CO and help me do this!