E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #21
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
who cares? if you wanna spend $100+ on a cable and it makes you feel better, then continue to do so... the rest of us are happy with our $10 cables that, to us, do the same thing.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #22
mimalmo

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
who cares? if you wanna spend $100+ on a cable and it makes you feel better, then continue to do so
Why are you trying to assume you know what cables I do or don't own or how much I spent on them? Not sure what that has to do with the discussion. You posted that you had read an article that offered comparisons showing Monoprice $10 cables were as good as every other cable. I politely asked for that article and you have yet to deliver.

Quote:
the rest of us are happy with our $10 cables that, to us, do the same thing.
You obviously need to re-read this whole thread since it started with someone saying that they were NOT satisfied with the performance they got from Monoprice.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #23
e46lc

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
HDMI is Digital

I used to sell Monster Cable, and you know what, for analog, they are better...for digital...same same. It either works or it doesn't.

/Thread
+100,000

The only time youll see a cheap digital carrying signal cable underperfom when compared to a higher end cable is when there is a manufacturing defect. ie loose soldering/cripiming connections on one of the ends, or a brocken wire which is some what unlikely.

Since HDMI is digital the above statement is true. For analog signal the games chagnes!!
e46lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #24
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
Why are you trying to assume you know what cables I do or don't own or how much I spent on them? Not sure what that has to do with the discussion. You posted that you had read an article that offered comparisons showing Monoprice $10 cables were as good as every other cable. I politely asked for that article and you have yet to deliver.

You obviously need to re-read this whole thread since it started with someone saying that they were NOT satisfied with the performance they got from Monoprice.
don't flatter yourself princess. i wasn't talking about you superstar. it was a general comment. did i quote you? no. get over yourself.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #25
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46lc View Post
+100,000

The only time youll see a cheap digital carrying signal cable underperfom when compared to a higher end cable is when there is a manufacturing defect. ie loose soldering/cripiming connections on one of the ends, or a brocken wire which is some what unlikely.

Since HDMI is digital the above statement is true. For analog signal the games chagnes!!
Wrong!

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #26
mimalmo

Quote:
don't flatter yourself princess. i wasn't talking about you superstar. it was a general comment. did i quote you? no. get over yourself.
Look over my posts here and my responses to you; always polite, never personal. Your response here is tacky and rude.

Now, does anyone else want to have an intelligent discussion on HDMI while leaving the personal jabs, rudeness and unfounded claims out of the conversation?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #27
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Look over my posts here and my responses to you; always polite, never personal. Your response here is tacky and rude.

Now, does anyone else want to have an intelligent discussion on HDMI while leaving the personal jabs, rudeness and unfounded claims out of the conversation?
This has been argued many times on here. HDMI quality does matter. Dropouts, sprites, flashsmears, etc are all related to the quality of this DIGITAL cable.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #28
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
i did a blind test with my friend and not one of us could fully determine which cables were monoprice or monster

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #29
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I View Post
i did a blind test with my friend and not one of us could fully determine which cables were monoprice or monster
That is because your friend is blind and he can't see the difference...
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #30
mimalmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
HDMI quality does matter. Dropouts, sprites, flashsmears, etc are all related to the quality of this DIGITAL cable.
Thank you. Nice to know I'm not the only one that has seen a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I View Post
I'll go back to my response on the first page to the person that wanted to use avsforum members as a barometer of success when it came to cheap (Monoprice) HDMI. It worked fine for you and your particular system. You cannot say without a doubt that it would work for me on my system.

Display device technology has almost always led video storage and transmission technology. Let me explain:

When HDTV sets came out in the late 90's, people were asking what HD source they could play on the new 720p and 1080i sets. The answer was nothing. "It's coming" was all we could say. Slowly but surely, HD content trickled out and now I get dozens of channels in HD through DirecTV.

When 1080p sets came out 3 or 4 years ago, people asked what 1080p source they could play on their new 1080p sets. The answer was nothing. "It's coming" was all we could say. Within 18 months we were selling HD Movie players (BD & HD DVD).

1080p 10Bit color is only found in a few source components now but I predict we will see a buch more added in January at CES. This additional color information requires additional data to be passed on the HDMI cable.

Recently, Samsung showed a TV capable of 2160p - double 1080p! Not sure how soon this will make it to market but, I'm looking forward to it. How long until we see source components that offer 2160p? This additional picture information will require additional data to be passed on the HDMI cable.

http://www.hdtv-news.co.uk/2008/05/2...v-at-sid-2008/

Sony, always at the forefront of video technology has announced 1080p 240Hz frame rate TVs that will ship December 2008. That's a month from now! How long until we see source components that offer 240Hz rfresh rates? This additional picture information will require additional data to be passed on the HDMI cable.

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/36741.html

With these things in mind, as our TV technologies grow, so too will our source component's technologies; history has proven this.

What's next? Uber high-resolution 4k displays for the home, 3D, who knows. What I do know is this: HDMI is being asked to do higher and higher data rates. Will all HDMI cables be able to keep up with the demands of the higher data rate?

Last edited by mimalmo; 11-05-2008 at 12:52 AM.
mimalmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #31
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Thank you. Nice to know I'm not the only one that has seen a difference.

I'll go back to my response on the first page to the person that wanted to use avsforum members as a barometer of success when it came to cheap (Monoprice) HDMI. It worked fine for you and your particular system. You cannot say without a doubt that it would work for me on my system.
oh yah don't get me wrong. I should have said results may vary dependning on your system.

bottom line is: cables are easy to return. Buy a cheap one, buy a mid grade one and buy a monster. Plug them all in and test them.

Choose the one that best fits your expectation. In my case, monoprice did not show any improvement over monster or tributaries on my ps3 -> sony HDTV hookup

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:03 AM   #32
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
I got some open box Belikin Pure AV silver series and monster hdmi cables for my living room setup a year ago from eBay and so far so good. 25-40 bucks shipped...considering they go for 150+ each
Old 11-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #33
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
If you're only running a 6-8' cable, chances are a monoprice cable will perform no different than a Monster or any other cable. I'm sure quality control is minimal with such cables so something of great length (over 12ft) will probably have more product defects than the shorter lengths. (Assuming the issue is in the line and not the heads)

And as far as picture quality, you don't get things like blurry picture or skewed color with HDMI. You get blatant, in your face objects that shouldn't be there (little dots, blocky signal, shifted image, black screen, etc.) Those are generally signs of a bad connection. Bad connections, once again, is a quality control issue. With Monoprice, if a cable doesn't work, you could buy a second one and STILL come out cheaper than buying a big name brand.

So if you're only running a 6ft cable, you'll be more than happy with a Monoprice cable. If you don't see dots or any other thing I mentioned, the picture you're getting is no different than if you payed $200 for the cable. It's not like the analog days where a brighter, clearer, more accurate picture was better attained with a higher end cable. You now just have to worry about getting a solid connection.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #34
Dhohn

My Ride: 3 e30's and a 03 330
Honestly there should only be a couple variables.
Either it can handle the bandwith of what your shooting down the line or not. For a digital signal like this the only thing that should influence the picture would be sheilding , for long runs over 50 feet ( depending on the enviroment that your cable is being ran through )they make repeaters and converters to change the signal over to Cad cable for a reason. Honeslty on cables like this its all hype.

Now though with that said, I should also say that everything in my home theatre for cabling is monster, I personally find it to be wonderful cabling, that has never failed me and no matter what the system or how packed the gear I've never been able to pick up interference that was worth talking about through their cabling. I figure as long as its well shielded then it should be okay.

Also if your looking for a good deal on MONSTERCABLE then buy the best buy brand rocketfish ( dont tell anyone ) its monster cable branded for best buy.

my 2 cents.
Dhohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #35
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
I like that I have started a 2 page argument over this, hehe. I guess I have to post some screen shots to show the difference.

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #36
mimalmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhohn View Post
Honestly there should only be a couple variables.
Either it can handle the bandwith of what your shooting down the line or not. For a digital signal like this the only thing that should influence the picture would be sheilding , for long runs over 50 feet ( depending on the enviroment that your cable is being ran through )they make repeaters and converters to change the signal over to Cad cable for a reason. Honeslty on cables like this its all hype.

Now though with that said, I should also say that everything in my home theatre for cabling is monster, I personally find it to be wonderful cabling, that has never failed me and no matter what the system or how packed the gear I've never been able to pick up interference that was worth talking about through their cabling. I figure as long as its well shielded then it should be okay.

Also if your looking for a good deal on MONSTERCABLE then buy the best buy brand rocketfish ( dont tell anyone ) its monster cable branded for best buy.

my 2 cents.

There are many other things that impact the digital signal in a cable beyond simple "shielding".

Monster does NOT make Rocketfish for BBY. They were one of the original possibilities for the global sourcing contract but were not granted that deal in the end.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #37
rdp330ci

My Ride: an e46 slug
I've got a 50ft Proflex hdmi cable on my system. Handles everything including Blu Ray very well.

Cost was $195 as part of my install.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #38
04yfz

My Ride: A car
You spent 15 shipped on monoprice cables? Seeing as shipping costs around 7 dollars no wonder your connection is ****. Monoprice has a range of cables, from dirt cheap to pricier, I always went with the higher priced ones and they work great.

You should have went with something like this if you're going to compare them to Monster..

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #39
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
I love avsforums but the whole Ill use lampcord wire to power my $10k speakers is for me, just a little beyond retarded. not saying im buying 1k in speakerwire, but $1-2 per foot is not bad in my opinion. SOmetimes people at avs take things too far.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #40
imolazhp_ci

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/?...content;rb_mtx