E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
BassRocker

My Ride: 2001 325 cic
Exhaust / Muffler

I was at my friends house today and he has a 06 Cadi V series with the Corvette engine . What we did is , we drilled a hole in the top of each muffler and took a coat hanger and pulled out a huge amount of fiberglass out and then took some plumbers plugs and put them in the holes . It sounded amazing !!! And only cost about 10 bucks !!!
Has anyone else ever done this to a stock BMW muffler ????

Thanks , Mike
BassRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
You can just run your e46 without a muffler to get a similar sound.. as long as you plan on keeping the stock headers.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
BassRocker

I heard his Cadi V today and it sounded a little more deeper but not alot louder . I'm going to do this to my muffler soon !!! We took a 1 inch hole saw and cut a hole and pulled out a ton of insulation out of the top of the muffler then capped it with a hole cover for a empty sink hole cover that cost a dollar and used some J B Weld to fix it to the muffler . I think that i will use a high temp sillicone ( how ever you spell it ) the J b was a bit messy .

Mike
Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Just cut off your muffler, it would make life alot easier...........
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
BassRocker

I understand the ease of cutting it off but , I would still like to have the chrome pipes comming out the back . It might look stupid with a empty hole in the bumper . It sounds a lot better with the air intake installed , it's just a cheap Mod that would cost under 10 bucks to get a deeper sound and it would allow the air to pass easier maybe giving it a couple more horsepower.

Mike
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Cut it off, and just add some straight pipes........Get a new set of chrome tips........

You will still have resistance from your OEM muffler, therefore, you will not recieve any extra gains........

Trust me, CAI and Exhaust, I noticed nothing. My car just sounds like it is going faster
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
broach328

My Ride: is 5 in 1.
Send a message via AIM to broach328
my intake is on order. how about CAI, muffler, and a shark injector? might feel some gains there.
broach328 is offline   Reply With Quote