E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
MJDEMARIO61

My Ride: 330i
Front Grill is FALLING OFF

I have a 2001 330i. it is my second 3 series car, and I have also had a Porsche, Saab, Acura, Volvo, etc...I love the way the bimmer drives, but little stuff is breaking right and left. I am really struggling with these little issues. I will not take it to the dealer, they rarely fix the problem and usually break something else in the process. My old mechanic "WOLFGANG" has retired, so, I'm on my own now.

The latest are the front grill inserts. one was just hanging loose one day and the second was loose too. It seems that the inserts (PLASTIC) snap into the hood assembly with plastic clips, and these had fatigued and most were broken.

So now the grill inserts are both in my trunk while I figure out how to fix the problem. Does anyone have any experience in fixing or replacing these parts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
MJDEMARIO61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
If you located all the tabs that broke off, you can glue them back to the grill and snap it back into place, but there's no guarantee that they won't break off again, soon.

The alternative is to buy new inserts. Most of the sponsors sell the whole grills (packaged together with the part with the vertical slats), but I think I remember some only selling the inserts. It's going to be a bit costlier than just fixing them, but if you buy new ones, you get the added benefit of proper tabs that haven't turned brittle with heat and vibration. Plus you can either go with matte black inserts or body color.
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
SYE

My Ride: ///M3 VERT
just buy some new ones there not that expensive.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
glue that sucker back
Old 08-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
you can buy the flat black ones for like $49 brand new from jlevisw.com

just get new ones.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
///Moose

My Ride: V-Dub VR6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc View Post
you can buy the flat black ones for like $49 brand new from jlevisw.com

just get new ones.
+1
Old 08-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
MJDEMARIO61

My Ride: 330i
Thanks for the LINK that is what I needed!
MJDEMARIO61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill, plastic