E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
///M PWR 00

My Ride: p truck
How to eat in NYC... by yours truley

I tend to hit up the same places in the city whenever I take my cheat day, or happen to blow down a fatty while in the city . Heres my list of hot spots. Trust me when I tell you, you wont be dissapointed.

1. Patsy's Brickoven Pizza in Harlem... unbelievable pizza

2. Joe's Pizza in the villiage (on bleeker & carmine, in between a bakery and deli. Dont be fooled by the million other "joe's pizzaria" spots.

3. Mamoun's on mcdougal st in the villiage for falafel sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, hummus..

4. Halal Cart at 53rd and 6th ave in the city, get the gyro meat with rice, lettuce, extra whitesauce, and some hot sauce. Be warned, the hot sauce is no joke.

5. Gray's Papaya for hotdogs, on West 72nd and _____. Theres actually a bunch of them in the city. Dont go to "Papaya Dog".. its not the same.

and for those with a sweet tooth..

1. Magnolia Bakery... all I gotta say is BEST FUKKIN CUPCAKES EVER HANDS DOWN! Be sure to try the red velvet cupcake as well as the magic cookie bar. Theres one in the villiage on bleeker and west 11th, and one uptown on columbus and I think 68th? Me and my girl love it so much that I am actually picking up a red velvet cake for her 23rd birthday on Sunday. feeds 12-15 people and costs 50$, damn rip off.

2. Beard Papa in the villiage for unbelievably good cream puffs. Theres also a uptown location.

3. Creperie shop on mcdougal in the villiage. If you hadnt had one from here you are missing out! Go with the white chocolate or the nutella. Keep it simple and stay away from the fruit filled ones and crap..

4. Crumbs bakery.. pretty sick selection of cupcakes, but not as good as the simple Magnolia ones.. only been there once, was high as hell so I dont remember the location. google it

5. The Chip Shop on Atlantic Ave in brooklyn.. fried candy, reecees, snikers, oreos, and so on. To die for!

Thats all I got. These are the only spots I hit up when I am in the city and hungry. They are all I need.

Last edited by ///M PWR 00; 09-27-2008 at 02:47 AM.
///M PWR 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
any pizza place on the streets of nyc is good

also the gyros

none of that is good in texas, except for the steak houses
Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
Pfffft I've had New York pizza (yes, IN new york) and it was average.

Mama's Pizza == Best pizza hands down.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
///M PWR 00

My Ride: p truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikhkd View Post
any pizza place on the streets of nyc is good

also the gyros

none of that is good in texas, except for the steak houses
Trust me when I tell you, not all NYC pizza is created equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
Pfffft I've had New York pizza (yes, IN new york) and it was average.

Mama's Pizza == Best pizza hands down.

Again, not all NYC pizza ia created equal. I would bet my life a slice of Joe's or Patsy's would put your "Mama's" pizza to shame. Never in a million years will I believe a Texas pizza can beat a NYC pizza. Sorry bro, not gonna happen.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
I love NY pizza. I must have sampled a slice in every pizza place I came across. I also tried Gray's papaya. I would not call it great but for $2.75 for 2 dogs and a drink, it was okay.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M PWR 00 View Post
Trust me when I tell you, not all NYC pizza is created equal.

Again, not all NYC pizza ia created equal. I would bet my life a slice of Joe's or Patsy's would put your "Mama's" pizza to shame. Never in a million years will I believe a Texas pizza can beat a NYC pizza. Sorry bro, not gonna happen.
Uh, I've had quite a few kinds. You've NEVER had ours so I'd ****.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #7
calledig1tal

My Ride: 08 328i
Send a message via AIM to calledig1tal
id love to hit up the top 5 joints in one day LOL
Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #8
SiCrew

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
53rd and 6th ftw...lol
SiCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #9
Jesda

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
I dislike NY pizza and hate NYC. I will never go back.

2004 325ci - Totaled :(, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6, 1992 Cadillac Seville STS
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
calledig1tal

My Ride: 08 328i
Send a message via AIM to calledig1tal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I dislike NY pizza and hate NYC. I will never go back.
WERD, one of my first experiences there was genuinely off-putting. but ill go back sometime i dont wanna puss out
Old 09-27-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
kush
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: gti
cool site http://www.chipshopnyc.com/
kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #12
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
yeah usually its the suburban kids that talk garbage about NYC....and texas pizza better than NY's? hahahahahahah dude i would rather eat my own vomit than texas pizza
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
treadman

My Ride: 2009 320i
Look at all those calories.
treadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
This is NOT how to eat in NYC:

Magnolia's is an overpriced P.O.S. tourist trap, and does NOT have good cupcakes; it actually tastes like a home&careers 101 student made crap with a shtload of frosting. The only reason why they are so popular is because they limit the amount of people to be let inside that small fart room of a bakery, thus forcing a Disney-World-attraction-sized line, and because it was mentioned in Sex in the City. DO NOT pay $2.75 or whatever the fck it is for these cupcakes that are literally the size of my balls.

I think Papaya Dog is better than Gray's Papaya because Papaya Dog is snappier.

Beard Papa lost its quality tremendously since it first opened by Astor Pl. I don't even know what the fck it is; it sells creampuffs, eclairs, SUSHI, and now frozen yogurt? WTF. The creampuffs aren't warm anymore, the creme is not cold and sometimes is chunky, and their frozen-yogurt is the worst and most expensive I've had in the city.

Brooklyn has the best pizzas, check out Luigi's on Dekalb Ave , and Graziela's on Vanderbuilt

If you want quality NYC foods, you have to check out the gems such as these:

1. Babo - Italian
2. Artisanal- French / Cheese aficionados
3. Peter Luger Steakhouse
4. Blue Hill
5. Otto Pizzeria
6. Corner Bistro - burger and home brewed beer
7. 99 Miles to Philly - Philly Cheesesteaks

Obviously these aren't the only awesome ones

Last edited by ///A; 09-27-2008 at 08:27 AM.
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #15
emmm_three

My Ride: ML350/325i/330ci/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///A View Post
This is NOT how to eat in NYC:

Magnolia's is an overpriced P.O.S. tourist trap, and does NOT have good cupcakes; it actually tastes like a home&careers 101 student made crap with a shtload of frosting. The only reason why they are so popular is because they limit the amount of people to be let inside that small fart room of a bakery, and because it was mentioned in Sex in the City. DO NOT pay $2.75 or whatever the fck it is for these cupcakes that are literally the size of my balls.

I think Papaya Dog is better than Gray's Papaya because Papaya Dog is snappier.

Beard Papa lost its quality tremendously since it first opened by Astor Pl. I don't even know what the fck it is; it sells creampuffs, eclairs, SUSHI, and now frozen yogurt? WTF. The creampuffs aren't warm anymore, the creme is not cold and sometimes is chunky, and their frozen-yogurt is the worst and most expensive I've had in the city.

Brooklyn has the best pizzas

If you want quality NYC foods, you have to check out the gems such as these:

1. Babo - Italian
2. Artisanal- French / Cheese aficionados
3. Peter Luger Steakhouse
4. Blue Hill
5. Otto Pizzeria
6. Corner Bistro - burger and home brewed beer
7. 99 Miles to Philly - Philly Cheesesteaks

Obviously these aren't the only awesome ones
1. I agree...great food
5. I agree...great food (more casual than #1)
I'm a big Batali fan
Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmm_three View Post
1. I agree...great food
5. I agree...great food (more casual than #1)
I'm a big Batali fan
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #17
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Luger FTW....steak , home fries , bacon , and becks dark
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
OP! I completely agree with almost everything on your list. This week alone, i've had Patsy's pizza 5 times...NO JOKE! I had a chick visit me from Australia and she just couldn't get enough of their pizza. I live in East Harlem too, so it's a no brainer.

I tried Lombardi's a few days ago and I just didn't like it much. I may try Joes and see what the deal is.

I would also add a few resteraunts:

Chinese Mirch - 28th and Lexington for great Indian/Chinese food

Nyonya - Spring between Mott and Mulberry for great Malaysian food

Creperie - The most amazing crepes. I like mine with Nutella, Walnuts, and bananas.

Desert Truck - on University Blvd in the East Village (not sure exactly what street). A young pastry chef selling world class deserts out of a truck for $5/pop.

Buddah Bar - When you want to impress someone with a great atmosphere and fantastic food. You'll need reservations, stick around after dinner on a weekend to see real guidos in action.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
ok i have a question about the halal cart on 53rd and 6th...do people actually think this tastes better than all the other halal carts in the city? THEY ALL TASTE THE ****** SAME. the only reason why that one got so popular is because rich dudes would come there after drinking at like 3-4 in the morning because theres a bunch of bars/lounges in that area.

gotta agree with the mamouns and greys suggestions though (although i dont taste much of a difference between all the papaya joints). i get them when im piss drunk all the time, dont even remember that i ate them the morning after, and find stains all over my shirt because im such a drunk slob. i just ruined a shirt last week from all the onions on the hot dogs
Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Shortkut00

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Mamoun's is amazing, 99 miles to Philly is not that good, Totonno's Pizza is unreal and they don't make pizza in Texas they make bread with ketchup.