E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Brembokid

My Ride: legs
Would you be with a girl your parents didn't accept?

I'm hindu dating a girl that is outside of my race. My parents don't really have a problem with it, because they know, growing up in America, interracial relationships in hindus are becoming more and more common.

However, I'm dating this girl that is 6 years older than me and previously married. My parents don't really like that situation. She's a great person, has a great heart, very very intelligent, motivated, and much much more.

I just feel at times, my parents bought me into this world, scarified so much for me and the one thing they really want - I'm not giving it to them. I feel selfish, but at the same time I really love this person.

Edit: We've been dating for 2.5 years already
Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
I'm a fellow desi and I've dated nothing but girls outside of our race. I'm American born bro, and even I've come to realize that when you age, you'll want someone from our race. Toh soch tora yaar, who's going to make you indian food, sit down with you in a pooja, go to the Mandir, watch Indian movies! Lol. You'll miss all of that if you guys get married and regardless of what you want for right now, it wouldn't be worth it down the road. And of course being indian you know how our women gossip, they'll talk sh!t abuot her everywhere you guys go, even if you don't know it. I dated an Afghan girl and wanted to marry her so bad, but her parents had married her off. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't want to be with her anyways, not because I don't love her anymore, but because I like the fact that I'll be marrying someone within our race. Our religion is one of the oldest and wisest in the world bro, don't break your race througout the thousands of years. GL, hope this helps.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
sherry

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVakharia View Post
I'm hindu dating a girl that is outside of my race. My parents don't really have a problem with it, because they know, growing up in America, interracial relationships in hindus are becoming more and more common.

However, I'm dating this girl that is 6 years older than me and previously married. My parents don't really like that situation. She's a great person, has a great heart, very very intelligent, motivated, and much much more.

I just feel at times, my parents bought me into this world, scarified so much for me and the one thing they really want - I'm not giving it to them. I feel selfish, but at the same time I really love this person.

Edit: We've been dating for 2.5 years already
do your parents know her well? does she know how your parents feel about her? because although your parents sacrificed a lot for you, if she knew your parents didnt approve of her but stuck with you for 2.5 years so far, thats a pretty big commitment. it sucks knowing that your s/o's parents doesn't approve of their son's decisions. =X just know that if you really love her, you don't want to break her heart. your parents might disapprove of it, but hopefully they'll support you no matter what since they are your parents
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
volcommac

My Ride: 06 M3 ZCP
How old are you?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Brembokid

My Ride: legs
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcommac View Post
how old are you?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
23's pretty young to get married, especially in the race. dating someone outside your race is fine, but marrying one is hard. you think shes up for the change?

my cousin dated someone out of her race, she introduced the guy to her family and so on.. the guy just freaked out, it's not easy adjusting to another culture man.. it may seem easy but once you're married, everything changes. listen to what EAZY46 said
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
grzes12n

My Ride: SRT8
yes
grzes12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
JohnMate

My Ride: What work gives me!
I come from a Place in Australia called Woolgoolga and it has one of the highest sikh populations besides india now i know this doesnt apply so effectly to your religion itself but the message is the same. Now i grew up and was friends with alot of sikh kids that married outside there religion and race and while love defeats all in my opinion you should also perhaps look out for your current group situations ie friends and the like. if you are a big with religion and follow it actively how will effect these circles? because I know i now have alot of indian friends that i guess due to this outer marriage have kind of been shunned in the community and are not accepted or tolerated as this is seen wrong in some of the sikh peoples eyes due to there religious beliefs and race this can cause rifts. Now im not an expert on Hinduism to compare it to this but this is just some fuel for thought
Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
family > girl

I think not following this could lead to a ton of issues I would just never want to live with. After all, what if girl leaves you down the road? You have NOTHING. You can always find another girl.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
JoeVert

My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
family > girl

I think not following this could lead to a ton of issues I would just never want to live with. After all, what if girl leaves you down the road? You have NOTHING. You can always find another girl.
Agree with part 1 but disagree with part 2.

Family is more important then a girl but he has been dating her for over 2 years and obviously loves her. If the family shuns him because of the type of girl he dates then what kind of family is that? I would run off with a girl I truely loved and wanted to marry and start an independant life... anyone who has nothing besides family to fall back on is WAY too dependent on them and needs to branch off. If you always want to be just OK then marry a nice hindu girl that your parents approve of but will never stack up to your former love, have 10 kids, and do everything you are "supposed" to do because your parents said so... then your kids can do the same and you can die knowing that you led your life the way someone else wanted you to.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
2001BMW330xi
revolt1112@msn.com

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to 2001BMW330xi
damn, lots of brown crowd in here.... lol

i don't think his family will disown him if he does persist with wanting to be with this girl forever. They're obviously not of the old-school mentality - they've been okay with him dating her and if they've been together for so long - they should have realized by now that there was always a possibility of them ending up together. You can't always find another girl so easily, as chase tried to suggest. Finding true love is not easy.

Everybody has a different take on it - I don't know about the OP - but if you believe in 'soul mates', and if you truly think you've found yours, you won't find another. Sure your family may be PO'd for a while and maybe never truly accept your 'wife' into the family, but you are still you - you are still their son, and the love will be unconditional. The family will warm up to the 'outsider wife' if she can adjust to them too.

like sikhd said - it's a hard culture to adapt to though - just make sure she's ready for the challenge.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
been there done that. it's your relationship not your parents.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
This reminds me of that ill-fated romance between the young guy and the older woman in Dil Chata Hai. You should watch that sometime.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
This reminds me of that ill-fated romance between the young guy and the older woman in Dil Chata Hai. You should watch that sometime.
i thought that was Hari Puttar
Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
i thought that was Hari Puttar
No.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #16
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
I respect my parents.. but they don't have a place saying anything when it comes to who I date. If they ever said something i'd probably just laugh it off. They know i'm a smart guy and would pick someone great.