E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Zhpredlinez

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Meyle HD/ECS poly/stock fcabs?

Well, I've been noticing some steering shimmy (oscillation of the steering wheel) when I first start driving and if I hit the brake too quickly, the steering jerks. I realize one could be tire balance, but I'm wondering if there's any method for checking those infamous fcab's while the car is in the air? It is EXTREMELY darty on uneven roads and I'm hoping I find a good alignment tech who can adjust the alignment to cause the car to not be so track worthy. I'm guessing less negative camber would help. I have read thead after thread about the poly bushings transmitting too much NVH and other say the Meyle HD's do as well. Is this pretty much "try it and see" or is there some consensus here? I don't and won't be tracking the car, but it would be nice to have some that last more than 30k miles if possible.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
I have Rouge Engineering FCAB's and there is no added NVH that i can hear with my ears......
Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Maybe look for threads on the steering guibo too - or steering shaft flex disk - something like that - I remember people with tramlining issues replacing it and seeing a night and day difference even thought the thing appeared to be in good shape...

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
RTABs
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
GA-e46

My Ride: 2001 325i
whens the last time you had your breaks worked on? could be a warped rotor also
GA-e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Zhpredlinez

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Thanks for the ideas. No, it's not something that happens when braking. I think it is getting progressively worse in the 2k miles I've put on the car too. It was acting so weird last night, I thought my front lug nuts might be loose. I guess I just need to put some fcabs on and check into the steering shaft flex disc as well. I guess it call also be an really whack alignment. Cars will drive like a freak if the toe is in or out drastically.
Could someone give me the correct part number for the compatible M3 rtabs? Thanks!!